• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

The drop back pass still scares me to death

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      They had to beat two great teams to get to Buffalo. The next team is ridiculous.
      Sounds like a bit of sand-bagging to me, Jon...

Anyone who's seem both teams this year would have to consider this on a toss-up.

Comment

Originally posted by 3100IRL View Post
        They did many things very well compared to the frustration of some things during the regular season. Just a lot more of the simple stuff, not getting too fancy with the puck too often

Yet, getting too fancy on a (major penalty) power play against Mankato worked well and resulted in two goals. For me personally, I was finding their one-too-many pass PP style they diligently pursued the whole season frustrating and often resulting in no shots on goal during power play. I always feel you give yourself a better chance by getting as many shots as you can during PP. Yet, here they are, it actually worked in (what was up to that point) the most important game of the season.

Originally posted by 3100IRL View Post
        and I had to cringe every time Cornell ran the drop-back pass that didn't seem to benefit PC during the regular season when they did that.
        Yeah, while attractive to watch, it was just never that productive for PC this season (and it often had two skilled players executing it too - Jacob and Casper).

Comment

Originally posted by Bruin View Post
          Couple of points here:

1. I always have this disclaimer in my head (if not spoken out loud) - that these are student athletes, still young people (almost kids), that they are there because someone recruited them, etc. Therefore, I hate criticizing and singling out any player (unless it's something other than his performance). The same goes here. I think Hayden is a good kid, and I wish him well the rest of the season, and then onwards wherever his career takes him.
          2. If you are going to blame the defense for the goals that he concedes (and in my original post I said he needs help from the D-men, who need to stop turning the puck over in zone), then you cannot give the whole credit to him for his record(s). I think he was inconsistent this season. As noted in the discussion early in the season, he was on a level or two below last year's performance. On Saturday, I'd say he should have stopped the first goal and definitely the third one (yes, it came as a result of the d-zone turnover, but that was a very weak, back hand shot that barely left the ice, if at all).

The consistency is the key here. Which Hayden is going to show up against Duluth? I hope the "good one".
          The first goal was a rebound on a 2 on 1 that was deposited into the back of the net as Wilkins was slow to back check on the play. The third one is a breakaway that his defense gave up. He got a piece of it but snuck through.

Here is the video recap https://www.ncaa.com/video/icehockey...inal-highlight
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by satyking View Post
            The drop back pass still scares me to death
            Scares me to death also but PC was getting easy entries due to this strategy. It directly led to Kasper's goal against Minnesota State as Dugan went in and got the wrap around pass

Comment

• Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
              Scares me to death also but PC was getting easy entries due to this strategy. It directly led to Kasper's goal against Minnesota State as Dugan went in and got the wrap around pass
              Love this board. The haters feast only to be shut up... again... and again....
              Clock work.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                Love this board. The haters feast only to be shut up... again... and again....
                Clock work.
                I will gladly take some of the reasoned arguments on this board - even if I disagree with them - then the troll farm that is Facebook/Twitter/et al.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                -Blackadder
                "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                -Casablanca
                "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                  The first goal was a rebound on a 2 on 1 that was deposited into the back of the net as Wilkins was slow to back check on the play. The third one is a breakaway that his defense gave up. He got a piece of it but snuck through.

Here is the video recap https://www.ncaa.com/video/icehockey...inal-highlight
                  I thought that rebound should have been controlled better, but okay I said the third goal is more of a Hayden's fault. Yes, there was a turnover, yes the guy muscled his way down the ice through the length of the zone, but that was a weak, backhand shot. In any case, a win is a win... on to Buffalo.

Comment

PC picked up grad transfer goalie Michael Lackey from Harvard today for next season.

https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/statu...30806005350400

Comment

I'm a little surprised that there isn't more activity on this thread, although I'm not a FB guy.

PC is playing well right now on both ends, and I like them to down Duluth.

Nobody else dares to make that bold prediction?

Comment

PC playing like they have been can and will take down Duluth and UMass will meet them in the big game and if we are still playing at the same standard we win......now is everyone healthy now

Comment

I do admire how PC is playing, but if they meet UMass.... Not so sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            PC and UMass were the three best games to watch all year. Competive and hard hitting. Hopefully they meet again

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Agree with Zlax. All games were great and could have gone either way. Home team won each game but it could have easily flipped.

My bet is UMass would rather see UMD

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                                PC picked up grad transfer goalie Michael Lackey from Harvard today for next season.

https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/statu...30806005350400
                                Providence is well known for its graduate programs
                                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Working...
                                X