Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Albany was awful. And as the state capitol, it was a ghost town on the weekend.
    That’s always been my read on the Albany regionals.
    People generally liked the Providence regional long before PC was relevant. No one from the NCAA’s is going to discourage Brown from bidding.
    According to Mark Divver, PC is staying at a hotel in Warwick. NU, MSU, and Cornell are staying in hotels in Providence. It seems like everyone is going out of their way to not give PC the home game everyone is complaining about.
    Last edited by Jon; 03-28-2019, 06:27 PM.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
    -Blackadder
    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
    -Casablanca
    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

• Re: Providence Friars '18-19 Season Thread - Big Things In Store

Originally posted by Jon View Post
      That’s always been my read on the Albany regionals.
      People generally liked the Providence regional long before PC was relevant. No one from the NCAA’s is going to discourage Brown from bidding.
      According to Mark Divver, PC is staying at a hotel in Warwick. NU, MSU, and Cornell are staying in hotels in Providence. It seems like everyone is going out of their way to not give PC the home game everyone is complaining about.
      This idea that it's a home game for PC is laughable!!! PC rarely sells out their tiny arena of 3,330. You'll get that many NU and Cornell fans each for this game. We all know that the actual PC fan base of regular attendees can fit in two sections of Schneider Arena. You get more regular attendees for Mount hockey than PC. I used to go to every game and I think I got to 3 games this year and literally 1 minute of the UMass game cause Frank Pepe's is awesome and open in Warwick!!!

Albany is a ghost town on weekends for sure no matter what is in town. People still remark about what a great site Providence is for the NCAA championship but it's too small a venue to be considered anymore.
      I also love how a group of people doesn't get what they want and then want the system changed because of it. One of our political parties is like that now a days and it's sickening. I'm concerned for our future.
      Last edited by PC91; 03-29-2019, 08:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PC91 View Post
        Agreed. They sound like crybaby *****es. A much different look nowadays to the fan base that I knew them as years ago. I really enjoyed meeting a large group of their fans a couple years in Providence now this group sounds like they have small man's syndrome to the Golden Gophers fan base and they seem like they already think they could choke this game away so they're building in the excuse now. Not a good look for a team that's ranked number three in the country for sure.
        You do realize that a lot of the people that are commenting about it aren't even MSU fans, right? The general sentiment that I've heard from MSU fans is that, yes, it sucks that we are playing Providence in Providence, but it is what it is. It wasn't so long ago that we were a perennial loser, so many of us are just thankful to see a consistent winner.

The idea that it's not an advantage to be playing in your hometown (ie. there is no travel and PC as the 4 seed will have more fans there than MSU as the 1 seed) is laughable. The Gophers used to claim the same thing when they got to play in XCel Center and it was laughable for them to say it as well. I get it that it's not like it will be a sell out of PC fans, but there isn't any way that MSU will be able to bring as many fans as PC does. Really, it is OK to admit that PC has an advantage. The flip side of that is that I sense there are enough people from other fan bases that don't like that PC gets the advantage and will turn into de facto MSU fans. That in and of itself could potentially turn that

It is what it is, but that is how the system was set up and is supported by the coaches. It is more than a bit hypocritical for the team to complain about it now. That doesn't mean that adjustments can't be made to the system as a whole, but the coaches wanted this system and now we need to live with both the good and bad.
        Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

Part of the problem is there aren’t many Midwest cities that bid anymore. It’s too bad the NCAA banned the use of on-campus arenas. Mariucci was a perfect fit, both in terms of capacity and proximity to strong programs. Madison, too, though the Kohl Center is a little bigger than most regional site arenas.

Until more Midwest cities bid consistently, some top-seeded program is going to get screwed with placement every year. Seems like it usually happens to Denver.

Personally, I wish they’d follow the lacrosse model and put the first round games on campus before going to two regionals for the quarterfinals a week later. But, that’s clearly not happening any time soon.

In any event, this is clearly the most interesting regional to me, and I’m excited to see Minnesota State for the first time. I get to watch the other three very often, so it’s always a treat to see some of the better teams from out west. I think both games are a tossup, so it should be fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
            You do realize that a lot of the people that are commenting about it aren't even MSU fans, right? The general sentiment that I've heard from MSU fans is that, yes, it sucks that we are playing Providence in Providence, but it is what it is. It wasn't so long ago that we were a perennial loser, so many of us are just thankful to see a consistent winner.

The idea that it's not an advantage to be playing in your hometown (ie. there is no travel and PC as the 4 seed will have more fans there than MSU as the 1 seed) is laughable. The Gophers used to claim the same thing when they got to play in XCel Center and it was laughable for them to say it as well. I get it that it's not like it will be a sell out of PC fans, but there isn't any way that MSU will be able to bring as many fans as PC does. Really, it is OK to admit that PC has an advantage. The flip side of that is that I sense there are enough people from other fan bases that don't like that PC gets the advantage and will turn into de facto MSU fans. That in and of itself could potentially turn that

It is what it is, but that is how the system was set up and is supported by the coaches. It is more than a bit hypocritical for the team to complain about it now. That doesn't mean that adjustments can't be made to the system as a whole, but the coaches wanted this system and now we need to live with both the good and bad.
            I was just coming to say, most MSU fans are in just “win a NCAA game, no excuses, period” mode. Logically anyone with a brain knows a system is flawed when a 1 seed has to play a 4 seed in their hometown, but it’s an imperfect system that is better than any alternatives in the minds of the coaches. It’s the system that’s in place so deal with it. The Mavs haven’t won in front of 1000s of their own fans last year, in front of hardly any fans before, etc. Hopefully going out east in a hostile environment is just what the doctor ordered.

It’s comical how many PC fans think MSU fans are whining when it’s really hardly any of us.
            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

• Originally posted by MavHockey14 View Post
              I was just coming to say, most MSU fans are in just “win a NCAA game, no excuses, period” mode. Logically anyone with a brain knows a system is flawed when a 1 seed has to play a 4 seed in their hometown, but it’s an imperfect system that is better than any alternatives in the minds of the coaches. It’s the system that’s in place so deal with it. The Mavs haven’t won in front of 1000s of their own fans last year, in front of hardly any fans before, etc. Hopefully going out east in a hostile environment is just what the doctor ordered.

It’s comical how many PC fans think MSU fans are whining when it’s really hardly any of us.
              No you're just saying how nervous you are and have been since last Sunday. In fact as a fanbase you all seem very nervous and what I was pointing out was that you won't be facing a hostile crowd like yourfan base seems to be envisioning. I say hostile crowd because at least 10 of you have used that expression about coming to Providence to have to face a hostile crowd.
              Frankly I don't care if Providence plays in Manchester or Providence or in Allentown or in the West. If our team is good enough to beat you then we're good enough to beat you anywhere. Personally I give you all the nod today and not because of any one verse four matchup but the fact that we couldn't get out of our own way at the end of the year and sew things up on our own. In one week we went from 7th and the country to 11th. When Providence had to play the Golden Gophers on their home rink in the NCAA or had to play Quinnipiac literally down the street from their campus we didn't ***** about it or say the system needed to be fixed, we played the game and either won or lost. Anyone with a brain in their head knows that if you want to be considered a real contender you play anybody wherever the game is scheduled and win. It's sad to see that Maverick's fanbase has gotten soft since they first came to Providence a few years ago. Good luck today, your team actually should win but I'm sure that won't stop you from being nervous anyway. Try to enjoy the city and the experience while you're here. Later on you going to be laughing to yourself about thinking for a second that this crowd is going to be hostile in any way. We got about 500 regular attendees to are home games if that and the last several times that we've played in the NCAA tournament we've been close to home and haven't been able to draw flies.
              Welcome to Providence and good luck, you have an exciting team this year and I think it should be a great game!!!
              Last edited by PC91; 03-30-2019, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                No you're just saying how nervous you are and have been since last Sunday. In fact as a fanbase you all seem very nervous and what I was pointing out was that you won't be facing a hostile crowd like yourfan base seems to be envisioning. I say hostile crowd because at least 10 of you have used that expression about coming to Providence to have to face a hostile crowd.
                Frankly I don't care if Providence plays in Manchester or Providence or in Allentown or in the West. If our team is good enough to beat you then we're good enough to beat you anywhere. Personally I give you all the nod today and not because of any one verse four matchup but the fact that we couldn't get out of our own way at the end of the year and sew things up on our own. In one week we went from 7th and the country to 11th. When Providence had to play the Golden Gophers on their home rink in the NCAA or had to play Quinnipiac literally down the street from their campus we didn't ***** about it or say the system needed to be fixed, we played the game and either won or lost. Anyone with a brain in their head knows that if you want to be considered a real contender you play anybody wherever the game is scheduled and win. It's sad to see that Maverick's fanbase has gotten soft since they first came to Providence a few years ago. Good luck today, your team actually should win but I'm sure that won't stop you from being nervous anyway. Try to enjoy the city and the experience while you're here. Later on you going to be laughing to yourself about thinking for a second that this crowd is going to be hostile in any way. We got about 500 regular attendees to are home games if that and the last several times that we've played in the NCAA tournament we've been close to home and haven't been able to draw flies.
                Welcome to Providence and good luck, you have an exciting team this year and I think it should be a great game!!!
                So, here is my question, given everything you just said. If Providence doesnt draw in Providence, why does the committee continue to put Providence in Providence "for attendance reasons"? Something doesn't match up. Either the committee is a bunch of idiots that likes to bang their heads on brick walls, or there is a greater impact than PC fans are willing to admit.

Again, i dont care one way or another. It's up to our boys to play with a chip on their shoulder and win regardless. The system is what it is and i may think its silly, but coaches can't sit and defend it and then complain about it when it doesnt work out for them. Hastings said as much yesterday on his interview with the Twin Cities sports station yesterday.
                Mess with the bull, you get the horns.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bale View Post
                  So, here is my question, given everything you just said. If Providence doesnt draw in Providence, why does the committee continue to put Providence in Providence "for attendance reasons"? Something doesn't match up. Either the committee is a bunch of idiots that likes to bang their heads on brick walls, or there is a greater impact than PC fans are willing to admit.

Again, i dont care one way or another. It's up to our boys to play with a chip on their shoulder and win regardless.
                  I think that if you looked at Manchester the other day you had Harvard and UMass playing in front of what looked like family and friends only and both of those schools are pretty local particularly Harvard being about an hour and a half away tops. Each year the Providence has played in the last few years it's been either in Providence or several times down in Bridgeport Connecticut and the turnout for Providence has been nominal at best. I think that you would have had a good crowd without PC with Northeastern being placed in Providence and Cornell travels very well but while I agree that you're going to get more fans than you normally would having Providence playing in Providence, it is far from the turnoutthat you think it is and I Providence college basketball is King and hockey is a distant afterthought despite the fact that they won the national championship in 2015. They'll be people wearing a lot of black and white but most of them will be basketball fans who came down for the curiosity of it all and because our basketball team is not playing in any tournament right now. They will sit on their hands most of the game. What I also think you're also going to find is a lot of these people don't know if you put air in the puck or if it's stuffed. By the way I'm sitting in section 101 row KK seat 6 and 7. I don't think they selling beer today but happy to meet you and buy you a soda you seem like a dedicated fan and we want you to have a great time while you're in Providence!again good luck to your team I think it's going to be a great game and hopefully we can give you a good test. In my opinion if you get by Providence you most likely going to have to face Northeastern without any disrespect to Cornell. That means you should be able to see two good games this weekend.
                  Last edited by PC91; 03-30-2019, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Brother believe me you're going to get a kick out of it when you see the hockey atmosphere the PC "creates". We might even have our band at the game which is a big deal for us because we have been known to use the local high school band down the street to play at our games. If basketball was going on the band would be there and we would have recruited some local high school or college to be our band.
                    When you see Northeastern University and their dog pound you'll get a hint of what it should be like for Providence college but it isn't. Cornell's band is outstanding to and their fan base is loud and fun.
                    Again I'll let you witness it for yourself before I say I told you so.

Comment

• Originally posted by PC91 View Post
                      Brother believe me you're going to get a kick out of it when you see the hockey atmosphere the PC "creates". We might even have our band at the game which is a big deal for us because we have been known to use the local high school band down the street to play at our games. If basketball was going on the band would be there and we would have recruited some local high school or college to be our band.
                      When you see Northeastern University and their dog pound you'll get a hint of what it should be like for Providence college but it isn't. Cornell's band is outstanding to and their fan base is loud and fun.
                      Again I'll let you witness it for yourself before I say I told you so.
                      I heard a rumor that you’re making an appearance!
                      Originally posted by mookie1995
                      bc is superior to bu in nearly everything. while it is sad that it has come to it, it's the truth. if bu doesn't like it, improve.
                      Rep from Hokydad -"and your an old never been piece of ****"

Originally Posted by Dirty
                      Why is anyone surprised that Old Pio is acting like a grumpy old f^ck? He is a grumpy old f^ck.

Comment

• Originally posted by theprofromdover View Post
                        I heard a rumor that you’re making an appearance!
                        Section 101 row KK if I ever get out of this doctor's office!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bale View Post

Agreed. The draw that a team gets will always have the possibility for a unique challenge that's the beauty of a tourney. Sometimes that unique challenge is explicit and sometimes it's very subtle (just ask the Cloudies). If a team is truly championship ready they will prevail no matter what.
                          Go Pioneers!

Comment

Ugly!
                            Originally posted by reBlur
                            the sober Trivino I know is not a guy who would force his way into a girl's room and attempt to rape her. I can't imagine him ever making anyone even feel uncomfortable when he's sober.There are plenty of players in my time covering the team who have looked at me differently or flirted with me or the like. Trivino has never been one of those players. Even outside of the rink, he'll say hi and is plenty of friendly, but has never been even close to saying or doing anything inappropriate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                              Ugly!
                              For MSU

What the hell did Nate say after the first period?!?!

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                              -Blackadder
                              "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                              -Casablanca
                              "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                              -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Carmine Scarpaglia View Post
                                Ugly!
                                Looks much better with 3 left in the final period now up 3 with 2 left

Comment

Working...
                                X