Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: U MN vs. UND: The Rumble in the Desert

Originally posted by burd View Post
    Some day, Happy, you will know the pleasure of walking into Menards and having the staff say to you: "Good afternoon, Mr. burd, will you be sampling some of our 6-month aged product in the Platinum Club Lounge today?"

Instead of, "If you're looking for particle board--and you seem to be the type--it's that way."
    My life changed forever when they put a Menard's in my town, and I didn't have to drive 110 miles round trip to get my MDF and plumbing supplies. My greatest problem, is my average bill is $100 every time I stop in. Lucky for me, I already own all the high quality tools I will probably ever need, so I am spared that expense. The really good tools will last a lifetime, and I did not get them at Menards. I expect many of them I will sell in my old age on ebay, for more than I paid. Buy the best, treat them right, and never regret the cost. and, most importantly, never lend them out.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXX

The reason for the talent in the west? Because MN didn't rely on Canada.

Originally posted by MN Pond Hockey
    Menards could have sold a lot of rope

this morning in Grand Forks if North Dakota had trees.

Comment

Yeah, I spend quite a bit of time in my woodworking shop. Since it's also my garage, I have space limitations, and everything is on wheels. I'd love to have a cabinet grade Powermatic TS setup, for example, but I just don't have the room.

Always room for a can of good thinner, though. I probably can't afford the brand you buy, which is a shame, because you probably don't even drink it.

Oh yeah--hockey. Gophers suck.

Comment

Yeah, I spend quite a bit of time in my woodworking shop. Since it's also my garage, I have space limitations, and everything is on wheels. I'd love to have a cabinet grade Powermatic TS setup, for example, but I just don't have the room.

Always room for a can of good thinner, though. I probably can't afford the brand you buy, which is a shame, because you probably don't even drink it.

Oh yeah--hockey. Gophers suck.

The biggest problem with my garage is there is a Powermatic 66 right in the middle, with a extended Beisemeyer fence, and it makes it hard to get around. It's been there almost 25 years. The blade is dull, too. My vehicles have to sit outside. I used to buy whole sheets of 3/4 stuff, and cut it. I can't even imagine picking up a full sheet now. I quit my job, so now I have time, and no money. but, I have the tools from when I made good money, and I might not have any pictures from the vacations I never took, but I can make stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by icehawk View Post
          Didn’t the women just get swept by Bucky? North Dakota girl on their team that’s pretty good. Freshman from Bismarck, Britta Curl.
          I believe it was a split.
          @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
          On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
          High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

• Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
            Late to this party after just returning from Vegas yesterday, didn't spend any time reading forums while I was there so I'm doing my best to catch up today.

I'll try to share a couple thoughts, the good, the bad, and otherwise.

First and foremost, I know I generally paint with a broad brush when it comes to certain fanbases, especially UND fans. I was worried going into this game and being surrounded by green if we'd take a lot of **** or even some hostility. Everyone we sat by was indifferent or honestly flat out nice. I really enjoyed the game (other than the Gophers' 'effort) and the people we sat by. Good natured ribbing and chatter. There was an older Gopher fan sitting a few rows down from us and he seemed like he was having a good time in Vegas. He stood up when the arena played YMCA and we were just dying laughing because he either didn't know how to do it or was too drunk to do the right hand motions haha. There was one guy being a j-wagon as we were leaving after the ENG, other than that we had fun interacting with the fans we saw and sat by.

The arena , as mentioned, was a **** show. Outside of the ice and glass issues, it just didn't seem like the arena was equipped for a full house like that. We walked in with about 10-15 minutes before puck drop in the hopes of grabbing a beer before the game started. Every line was about 12-15 people deep and not moving. We watched until the first TV break and made a quick run for it to try to miss as little of the game as possible. At the ten minute mark my brother told me to go back and watch the game and he would wait it out. He returned with less than a minute left in the 1st period. The only good part is that some UND fans bought the beers for him! That's a pretty ridiculous wait time and the lines were not that long. This ship has sailed and I know everyone wanted T-Mobile, it is what it is and based on this venue I'm guessing it was a good deal for UND. I'd love to see this kind of destination game against UND in a legit arena again some time down the road. I can't reiterate how much fun it was, atmosphere, good fans, everything besides the arena/service.

For the game, yeah, Gophers looked outclassed to me after the 1st. Outside of Robson who could you point to that played well? When the only goal you can score is on a 5 on 3, you're probably in trouble. UND just looked much faster than Minnesota. UND seemed to win all the races to pucks and just had more overall effort.

Officiating was meh, IMO. Both of the major penalties were meh, IMO. Both teams took one so it evened out, I suppose. Just stupid for Rossini to take his that late in the game. I know major penalties are never smart, but you have to be smarter in that situation when you know your team is moments away from pulling the goalie to try and make a push to tie it up. The only call that bugged me was the hooking they called on Gates that led to the eventual game winner on the PP for UND. It looked unbelievably soft live and it directly affected the outcome of the game. The way the Gophers were playing the 3rd it likely wouldn't have made a difference but you never know.

Not the outcome we wanted but it was a fun weekend with good people.
            Nice write up Wes. Been there too if it weren’t for this harvest thing. Definitely be going to Nashville though in 2 years. Everyone I’ve talked to who was in Vegas said it was a blast aside from the rink issues.
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

This destination game deal that UND does has me thinking. Like I said, I would love to see this sort of thing again with Minnesota and North Dakota. The problem is Minnesota would never give up a home game/series(because they are greedy $$$) so it would pretty much be all on UND. I wonder if the two schools could come up with an agreement on this sort of thing in the future.

Just spitballing. You see a few college football games every year where two high profile programs play a non-conference game in Atlanta, Dallas, etc in some NFL stadiums. I mean ****, UND and Minnesota could even do a game at the Xcel just for something a little different(with beer). Not a destination, but you get the point. Maybe I'm just dreaming because Vegas was so much fun but I think these two programs could have a lot of options if they put some thought into it. It could be good for college hockey and it would be great for the rivalry IMO. You could also overdo it and burn your fanbases out on this sort of thing I suppose, but I think it could be fun.

Also, I hope Las Vegas bids on Frozen Four hosting in the future. That would be a blast!
              "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                This destination game deal that UND does has me thinking. Like I said, I would love to see this sort of thing again with Minnesota and North Dakota. The problem is Minnesota would never give up a home game/series(because they are greedy $$$) so it would pretty much be all on UND. I wonder if the two schools could come up with an agreement on this sort of thing in the future.

Just spitballing. You see a few college football games every year where two high profile programs play a non-conference game in Atlanta, Dallas, etc in some NFL stadiums. I mean ****, UND and Minnesota could even do a game at the Xcel just for something a little different(with beer). Not a destination, but you get the point. Maybe I'm just dreaming because Vegas was so much fun but I think these two programs could have a lot of options if they put some thought into it. It could be good for college hockey and it would be great for the rivalry IMO. You could also overdo it and burn your fanbases out on this sort of thing I suppose, but I think it could be fun.

Also, I hope Las Vegas bids on Frozen Four hosting in the future. That would be a blast!
                Me too. I tend to just take the fun part of all this, even in tournament time, but one nice thing about this fall event is that it's pure fun. It's still a good rivalry, but both sides know there is a lot of season left. If the venue is fun, it decreases the likelihood that fans will lose interest in it.

Think how fun a full weekend would be with UMinn, UND, UW and, say, UMich or Denver. Too much to deal with there though, I suspect.
                Last edited by burd; 11-02-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Me too. I tend to just take the fun part of all this, even in tournament time, but one nice thing about this fall event is that it's pure fun. It's still a good rivalry, but both sides know there is a lot of season left. If the venue is fun, it decreases the likelihood that fans will lose interest in it.

Think how fun a full weekend would be with UMinn, UND, UW and, say, UMich or Denver. Too much to deal with there though, I suspect.
                  Good point. Adding a couple teams would help cost/attendance issues, especially in a bigger arena. I'm afraid you're right about the logistics of that many teams would be tough to set up.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post

Wasn't this a Hall of Fame game, so it doesn't count against the ncaa limit?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                      Wasn't this a Hall of Fame game, so it doesn't count against the ncaa limit?
                      It was.

Although I assume what Wes was implying was that if MN bid on and received the HOF game and the right to host it, they'd rather have the home gate receipts for that game, even if it's an extra game, rather than book the game out of town.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                        It was.

Although I assume what Wes was implying was that if MN bid on and received the HOF game and the right to host it, they'd rather have the home gate receipts for that game, even if it's an extra game, rather than book the game out of town.
                        Correct.

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          It was.

Doesn't the the home gate receipts go to the Hall of Fame?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy View Post
                            Doesn't the the home gate receipts go to the Hall of Fame?
                            I don't know if they actually get the game receipts. I'm pretty sure schools "bid" for the game, which I've always assumed meant that a school would promise the HOF a certain fixed amount. But that's all speculation.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Plus, I also assume the school that hosts gets income from things such as concession sales, which might be another reason why a host school would prefer the game be played at home rather than at an outside venue.

Comment

Working...
                              X