• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wi.Huskies Fan
    replied
    Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    I just think you’re giving Mel far too much credit for hiring Joe. There is a reason it was a long drawn out process unlike replacing Hakstol as an example.
    The job still has to be posted for others to apply. It is called equal opportunity employment... (said with tongue in cheek).

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    What if, when Nahrgang resigned in February of '85, Mel was given the head coaching job would we have had that many years of futility? He eventually did come back to resurrect the program to respectability. Who know what goes on behind the scene.

I am guessing it was given to Boxer because he was the top assistant and had more experience in coaching. Of course that is all water under the bridge
    The real issue was not giving it to Mel when he tried to return to Houghton in 1996 (I believe I have that right).

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    What if, when Nahrgang resigned in February of '85, Mel was given the head coaching job would we have had that many years of futility? He eventually did come back to resurrect the program to respectability. Who know what goes on behind the scene.

I am guessing it was given to Boxer because he was the top assistant and had more experience in coaching. Of course that is all water under the bridge
    Mel or any other coach would have likely failed, just like Russell did, if the increased institutional support, and increased budget/committment didn't also happen. Tech was a low budget operation under Russell, and when they hired Mel, they also increased budget and committed to winning. $$$$$ was a big factor in the turnaround, and Suzanne deserves a helluva lot of credit for it.

Leave a comment:

• Wi.Huskies Fan
    replied

Originally posted by Go___Tech_Gold View Post
    Of course they didn't but they could have. He wanted a head coaching job and got it where it was available. He preferred the UM job and eventually got it. Maybe UM would have offered it to someone else when the time came.

Remember Mel turned down the Tech offer at first to stay as UM assistant. It was no secret he really liked it there.

Leave a comment:

• giwan
    replied

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    But the important thing is: Do Joe and Dr. Sanregret have a good relationship? From what I see as a casual observer, they do. Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Seems to me Suzanne does not get enough credit for the turn around. Something key changed and the story seems to be a bit muddled. Was it in part new hires? Was it a philosophy change? major increase in funding? Was it the break up of the conferences?

I could say the same about Glenn. Seemed he more than just showed up to show his support.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X