Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    IMHO Tech doesn't need "media darlings" 98% of their fans would read through the facade and not trust the guy. Besides, the only media they need to worry about in Houghton is Mix93 and the TV games against Northern.
    ... and then the Internet gets it, and it doesn't matter if it's media outlets that anyone outside of Copper Country knows about. Kids, parents, advisers, junior coaches, and other coaches read this stuff. Someone will use this against Tech in recruiting. Will that hurt? Maybe! I'm sure it will help attract the kinds of folks that Joe wants, but it might push away a kid or two that could've helped and honestly could be helped. Some folks need a little KITA in their life.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
      ... and then the Internet gets it, and it doesn't matter if it's media outlets that anyone outside of Copper Country knows about. Kids, parents, advisers, junior coaches, and other coaches read this stuff. Someone will use this against Tech in recruiting. Will that hurt? Maybe! I'm sure it will help attract the kinds of folks that Joe wants, but it might push away a kid or two that could've helped and honestly could be helped. Some folks need a little KITA in their life.

GFM
      This guy gets it. They don't call him a rocket surgeon for nothin'.
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
        I can't imagine Joe trying to attract head cases or attitude projects who "need a little KITA in their life." He specifically stated when asked about the kind of recruits he wants, "character and competitiveness." Given that raw material, Joe sounds confident that he can maximize their potential if the player wants to meet him halfway.

As for the effect of what shows up online on recruiting, I ask for a break. The school, especially academics, sells itself if the recruit has a marketable degree in his list of objectives. Assuming that the recruit is listening to a reasonable, intelligent adult in the process, they should quickly learn that the advantages of going to MTU far outweigh whatever BS pulled off the internet negative campaign a competitor is running.

Going back to Joe's comments on the recent JSH, anyone can see it was a tremendous commercial for recruiting....but only for those willing to put the team ahead of self.

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          IMHO Tech doesn't need "media darlings" 98% of their fans would read through the facade and not trust the guy.
          Just like with Marv.

Sorry, couldn't resist pointing that out.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Just like with Marv.

Sorry, couldn't resist pointing that out.
            let it go
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Joe strikes me as an old fashioned hard nosed hockey coach. He's looking for a team, not individual stars. Good. Go for it Joe, it IS a team sport. That's why Esposito left Tech, he felt MacInnes wasn't giving him enough playing time. Well, Tony, as a goalie, even one of the greatest ones, that's not your decision. The bridesmaid doesn't pick out the brides dress.

As to his, I guess the word everyone is dancing around is uncouth, remarks, listen to Frank Serratore after an Air Force loss. He is hilarious, but will take hard shots at his team if he feels they weren't playing up to the level they could be. He'll take on his team, the refs, the opposing coach, the opposing team, the fans. It's refreshing to hear a coach freely speak his mind and not hear the "we played hard, but they were just the better team tonight".

I wonder how many times Serratore has gotten fined by the league or the NCAA?
              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                Joe strikes me as an old fashioned hard nosed hockey coach. He's looking for a team, not individual stars. Good. Go for it Joe, it IS a team sport. That's why Esposito left Tech, he felt MacInnes wasn't giving him enough playing time. Well, Tony, as a goalie, even one of the greatest ones, that's not your decision. The bridesmaid doesn't pick out the brides dress.

As to his, I guess the word everyone is dancing around is uncouth, remarks, listen to Frank Serratore after an Air Force loss. He is hilarious, but will take hard shots at his team if he feels they weren't playing up to the level they could be. He'll take on his team, the refs, the opposing coach, the opposing team, the fans. It's refreshing to hear a coach freely speak his mind and not hear the "we played hard, but they were just the better team tonight".

Preach sister preach. Preach from the highest mountain..

(in other words thumbs up)

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post

Some fans complain about the standard stock room clichè answers from coaches and athletes. Some complain when they don’t get the standard stock room clichè answers. And people who have never been in the dressing room talk about how the coaches radio show affects the dressing room, even though they’ve never been in a dressing room.
                  "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                    Some fans complain about the standard stock room clichè answers from coaches and athletes. Some complain when they don’t get the standard stock room clichè answers. And people who have never been in the dressing room talk about how the coaches radio show affects the dressing room, even though they’ve never been in a dressing room.
                    You have a lot more experience with coaches' comments on the radio, so please give us some insight. How much, if at all, do the comments made by a coach on his radio show affect the dressing room? As a member of the media, do you prefer the standard stockroom answers? Or do you think it serves the team better if the coach stays away from the cliches? Most of us here are just fans that want to see the coach do as much as he can to help the team win. How, in your opinion, does he accomplish that through his public remarks?

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                      You have a lot more experience with coaches' comments on the radio, so please give us some insight. How much, if at all, do the comments made by a coach on his radio show affect the dressing room? As a member of the media, do you prefer the standard stockroom answers? Or do you think it serves the team better if the coach stays away from the cliches? Most of us here are just fans that want to see the coach do as much as he can to help the team win. How, in your opinion, does he accomplish that through his public remarks?
                      I do know that what is said in public forums, at times doesn’t match what is down below. I know that sometimes what a coach says publicly is done for a reason. And there have been cases where I have winced at what a coach has had to say about his team. Of the coaches I’ve worked with, if they’re saying it in public, it’s already been said much more definitively in the room. It’s very rare that a coach would say anything in the media that is a surprise in the room.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

I had something funny happen yesterday. I get Fastline, it''s a farming equipment sales magazine. The headline was, " New techniques in Manure Spreading"

I laughed and laughed.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          Of the coaches I’ve worked with, if they’re saying it in public, it’s already been said much more definitively in the room. It’s very rare that a coach would say anything in the media that is a surprise in the room.
                          So from this comment, I'll conclude that what Joe says on the air doesn't affect the culture in the room.

I think the boys are smart enough not to be influenced by the Joe Show.

Next topic please. Maybe how we can spread manure more efficiently?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Chances are if you’re hearing it said publicly, the player in question has already heard worse directly.
                            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
                              Chances are if you’re hearing it said publicly, the player in question has already heard worse directly.
                              I don't disagree with this but I do think this is something that could play badly with potential recruits and be used against them by other coaches...much like Marv's impending departure.
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                That's why Esposito left Tech, he felt MacInnes wasn't giving him enough playing time.
                                ?

Tony Esposito played three seasons from 1964-67. The NCAA didn't allow freshmen to play hockey until after he was gone, so he left because he used up all his eligibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X