Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

I listened to the JSH, maybe for the first time ever, just to get Joe’s rear-view mirror assessment of the recently completed season. I absolutely loved his candor, honesty, deep reflection, and ability to communicate his standards and expectations. There isn’t a pretentious bone in his body. The immediate effect of his comments on me was that if I had son who was a recruit for a D1 hockey program I’d want him playing for Joe. Even though I never met the guy before, I wouldn’t have any hesitation inviting him to come into my organization and speak to my people about teamwork.

Despite some of the reactions in this thread about Joe revealing a conversation with an anonymous player, the story perfectly illustrated Joe’s attitude about selfishness. Much of what Joe said about sacrificing personal goals for the team and about learning to take direction before leading comes right out of the culture one of my sons experienced at the U.S. Military Academy. Obviously Joe recognizes that peer leadership on the ice and in the locker room is critical and I commend him for questioning conventional wisdom about how he should proceed next season.

Finally, anyone who carefully listened to Joe’s remarks and doesn’t have a clear and unmistakable understanding of what he values and expects in a player is an idiot. Anyone on the team, whether player or coach, who can’t or won’t buy in to his philosophy is in the wrong program and should GTFO.

My advice to Coach Shawhan is stay true to your beliefs, be consistent, and trust your gut.

Comment

• Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
      And by talking about it publicly, he pretty much killed any chance of that kid buying in going forward. These things take a bit of tact, and Joe hasn't shown that tact, at least in a public-facing way. If you have a player not buying in, your job as coach is to find a way to get through to that player, to teach that player, and to get that player on-board. Going public torpedoes any chance you have of doing any of those things.

Next season, my hope is that the show is re-branded as a generic "coaches show" and Joe is only on occasionally. Get Dallas or Chris or Tyler on there, in hopes that they're much more savvy from a media relations and public relations standpoint.
      Who is “that kid?” No one knows. His identity has not been compromised. However, if you are a player, and the shoe fits...
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
        Finally, anyone who carefully listened to Joe’s remarks and doesn’t have a clear and unmistakable understanding of what he values and expects in a player is an idiot. Anyone on the team, whether player or coach, who can’t or won’t buy in to his philosophy is in the wrong program and should GTFO.
        Thanks for the scorching hot take! I don't think that people criticizing Coach Shawhan are missing his point and/or are idiots. You can agree with the man's values and disagree with his tactics. I think that healthy criticism of tactics — not people — is also something to be valued.

As to your second point, I do agree. Given the trust of MTU to mold that program, he dang well better have the prerogative.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
          And by talking about it publicly, he pretty much killed any chance of that kid buying in going forward. These things take a bit of tact, and Joe hasn't shown that tact, at least in a public-facing way. If you have a player not buying in, your job as coach is to find a way to get through to that player, to teach that player, and to get that player on-board. Going public torpedoes any chance you have of doing any of those things.

Next season, my hope is that the show is re-branded as a generic "coaches show" and Joe is only on occasionally. Get Dallas or Chris or Tyler on there, in hopes that they're much more savvy from a media relations and public relations standpoint.
          I disagree, why did he kill that chance. I'm sure Joe has spoken to the kid personally several times, maybe he needs even more of a wake up call, or maybe the kid need to go. Though I can't say I've seen it at Tech, (I could easily be wrong) there are many programs that simply tell a kid, you're not cutting it bye. Which is a MY way or highway approach. Whereas I see Joe's being more of a OUR way approach.

I wouldn't mind hearing from the other coaches on occasion but not for the reason you advocate.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Commissioner View Post
            I listened to the JSH, maybe for the first time ever, just to get Joe’s rear-view mirror assessment of the recently completed season. I absolutely loved his candor, honesty, deep reflection, and ability to communicate his standards and expectations. There isn’t a pretentious bone in his body. The immediate effect of his comments on me was that if I had son who was a recruit for a D1 hockey program I’d want him playing for Joe. Even though I never met the guy before, I wouldn’t have any hesitation inviting him to come into my organization and speak to my people about teamwork.

Despite some of the reactions in this thread about Joe revealing a conversation with an anonymous player, the story perfectly illustrated Joe’s attitude about selfishness. Much of what Joe said about sacrificing personal goals for the team and about learning to take direction before leading comes right out of the culture one of my sons experienced at the U.S. Military Academy. Obviously Joe recognizes that peer leadership on the ice and in the locker room is critical and I commend him for questioning conventional wisdom about how he should proceed next season.

My advice to Coach Shawhan is stay true to your beliefs, be consistent, and trust your gut.
            Great take! I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              Who is “that kid?” No one knows. His identity has not been compromised. However, if you are a player, and the shoe fits...
              without knowing specifics it feels like that "tag" is now branded on all the seniors because the way he spoke about it, it kinda has to be a senior no?
              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                I disagree, why did he kill that chance. I'm sure Joe has spoken to the kid personally several times, maybe he needs even more of a wake up call, or maybe the kid need to go. Though I can't say I've seen it at Tech, (I could easily be wrong) there are many programs that simply tell a kid, you're not cutting it bye. Which is a MY way or highway approach. Whereas I see Joe's being more of a OUR way approach.

I wouldn't mind hearing from the other coaches on occasion but not for the reason you advocate.
                The problem isn't the conversation with the player...it is taking those conversations even anonymously outside the locker room, on the record with the radio show.

I love Joe and generally his approach to teaching the players, but I just think certain things don't belong on his show.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

On every higher level team no matter what sport, it's extremely important that the players know the coach has their back. If the coach goes out and bad mouths them to the media their motivation is compromised. It's not necessarily a good thing to air this dirty laundry for all to see. Especially when other coaches and recruits read these boards, negative comments about an individual can have long term consequences for the organization.
                  Last edited by manurespreader; 03-14-2019, 04:04 PM.
                  MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Charm and tact are not mutually exclusive.
                    I like Joe's Yooper charm. And I also like Joe's Yooper tact.

Don't ruin him.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

From Chris' time at UWSP, I would not consider him as a media savvy guy. He is very direct and up front. He is the same way with his communications with his players though so there was never an issue of being thrown under the bus or anything like that. They knew exactly where they stood with him. They knew exactly what was expected and needed from them. He is a great coach that gets his players to play hard for him. He is not going to ever be a media darling in anyway though.
                      I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Originally posted by BetterInLakePlacid View Post
                        From Chris' time at UWSP, I would not consider him as a media savvy guy. He is very direct and up front. He is the same way with his communications with his players though so there was never an issue of being thrown under the bus or anything like that. They knew exactly where they stood with him. They knew exactly what was expected and needed from them. He is a great coach that gets his players to play hard for him. He is not going to ever be a media darling in anyway though.
                        IMHO Tech doesn't need "media darlings" 98% of their fans would read through the facade and not trust the guy. Besides, the only media they need to worry about in Houghton is Mix93 and the TV games against Northern. I doubt Dirk Hembroff or Dave Ellis worries too much about Joe's (or his assistants') media savviness.

Joe knows what he wants. He tells his guys exactly what he expects. If they don't get it, or go against it, its sure as hell isn't because Joe didn't let them know it is going to be. Growing up in the UP Joe reminds me of a lot of the dads when I was growing up.

Work hard as a team. It might suck at times, but it will be worth it in the end. Even if it doesn't end how you want it to, you will know you did it the right way.

To paraphrase Joe:
                        Soft attracts soft. Joe attracts hard. The two don't get along.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          without knowing specifics it feels like that "tag" is now branded on all the seniors because the way he spoke about it, it kinda has to be a senior no?
                          I almost feel he named the senior by what he has not said. It's unfortunate.

You would have to have paid attention all year.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                            I almost feel he named the senior by what he has not said. It's unfortunate.

You would have to have paid attention all year.
                            I haven't listened to all of the shows and I've got it narrowed down to about 1 possible player.
                            Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                              IMHO Tech doesn't need "media darlings" 98% of their fans would read through the facade and not trust the guy. Besides, the only media they need to worry about in Houghton is Mix93 and the TV games against Northern. I doubt Dirk Hembroff or Dave Ellis worries too much about Joe's (or his assistants') media savviness.

Joe knows what he wants. He tells his guys exactly what he expects. If they don't get it, or go against it, its sure as hell isn't because Joe didn't let them know it is going to be. Growing up in the UP Joe reminds me of a lot of the dads when I was growing up.

Work hard as a team. It might suck at times, but it will be worth it in the end. Even if it doesn't end how you want it to, you will know you did it the right way.

To paraphrase Joe:

I agree and believe Joe shared the incident because he wants a team that is focused on team. He gave himself an F grade for the year and the team a D. If I were a player, that would be more eye opening than the coach sharing a conversation/attitude of a team member. For me, that was Joe describing why he gave the grades he did. He wasn't able to get through to some guys and some of the guys didn't buy in to what he was building. If the guys don't like it, they are free to leave. For me, that is fuel for competitive fire.

We will see how much of an impact the JSH had this off season. Who goes, who stays, and what team looks like when they hit the ice in 2019-2020.

I like these coaches a lot and want to see our team reach its full potential!

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post

To paraphrase Joe:

That's great and all but my point had nothing to do if they needed a media darling or not. It was more that Brooks is not one and that he shouldn't be looked at if that is what someone wants. It sounds like Joe and him have a very similar attitude and style, which is a good thing.
                                I'm Kent...Detlefsen?

I was there for 27/92.

Comment

Working...
                                X