Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
    Good point, not sure how you gauge that one. I just remember the growth of Sturos from his Junior to Senior year; thinking how great is would be if everyone could make that kind of progression during there time at Tech. There were a couple others Vallis, Malcolm Gould, etc. that really came on at the end.

We did see some improvement in a few of the guys down the stretch last year but they had kind of lack luster regular season play. Specifically Lesperance, Auk, Birks, Gilles.

Maybe our upperclassmen will seize the moment in the upcoming playoff run similar to what the guys did last year. Only time will tell.

Go Huskies!
    For now, I think you can blame that on the change in style. Getting as defensive as they have will sacrifice some offense. While I don't think the defensive players were as good as last year, the overall team defense was better and the goaltending seemed to find its grove near at times which was nice. I think a group of Jurusik, Beydoun, and probably Pietila should be spectacular next year.

Hopefully Buckley turns a corner and can get some playing time next year. I would also expect Shawhan to use Datema and Lipe (incoming defensemen) to go bigger more physical on the blueline on occasion.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Was dissapointed by the schedule this year, but, as luck would have it, come playoff time I finally get a chance to debut my Gold Shane Hanna WCHA Championship backbreaker replica jersey at BGSU.

And its only a 10 mile drive!
      In Mel We Trust(ed)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        .....to go bigger more physical on the blueline on occasion.
        Coach Shawhan did mention this in his show yesterday; about recruiting bigger, stronger defensemen. That's kind of why I thought we would see more of Watson this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          For now, I think you can blame that on the change in style. Getting as defensive as they have will sacrifice some offense. While I don't think the defensive players were as good as last year, the overall team defense was better and the goaltending seemed to find its grove near at times which was nice. I think a group of Jurusik, Beydoun, and probably Pietila should be spectacular next year. Hopefully Buckley turns a corner and can get some playing time next year. I would also expect Shawhan to use Datema and Lipe (incoming defensemen) to go bigger more physical on the blueline on occasion.
          Bigger fine as long as it is NOT a sacrifice in speed or skill. I would still take speed and skill over size. Being a defensive team does not work in college hockey. Playing great defense does.

Comment

Most people tend to think about developing the talent of our players as they move through their years at Tech and focusing on offensive numbers. However an often overlooked aspect is the physical traits of the players as well. Can a team loaded with upperclassmen simply lay the lumber to younger teams and dominate them physically? College hockey is one of those levels where older players should have a significant physical advantage over the younger players. They have 3-4 years to add bulk in addition to increasing their skill set. Just on physical ability the older players should be increasing their production year to year. Three years is a LOT of time in the weight room. Might be a good question for an off-season Joe Show: How does the staff feel the players are developing physically under this group of coaches?
            Ryan
            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
            Originally posted by geezer
            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
            Originally posted by manurespreader
            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
              Bigger fine as long as it is NOT a sacrifice in speed or skill. I would still take speed and skill over size. Being a defensive team does not work in college hockey. Playing great defense does.
              In listening to Joe talk about offensive players, he is looking for a mix. It is not hard to extrapolate that for defensemen that he wants a mix as well. He could pick up one or two plus size/strength defenders specifically for use against teams that play physical, on the PK, and to close out games. Think a bigger Polglaze type defenseman. One might sacrifice offensive production, but he fills a much needed roll.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                In listening to Joe talk about offensive players, he is looking for a mix. It is not hard to extrapolate that for defensemen that he wants a mix as well. He could pick up one or two plus size/strength defenders specifically for use against teams that play physical, on the PK, and to close out games. Think a bigger Polglaze type defenseman. One might sacrifice offensive production, but he fills a much needed roll.
                Brenden Datema should be a great two-way defenseman for those purposes but Chris Lipe is being brought in specifically to get more physical against teams that it fits. One big assumption is a game like at Ferris State where the rink is so small. Along with Cooper Watson, those 2 freshmen would be the only ones over 6'
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I'm not too worried about the recruiting pipeline or development of players just yet, but I am a bit concerned when I hear that we're targeting big/physical again. I get that it's part of the match-up strategy when playing grind teams like Ferris or Bemidji, so I trust that we're targeting guys who fit that mold, but also skate well.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                    I'm not too worried about the recruiting pipeline or development of players just yet, but I am a bit concerned when I hear that we're targeting big/physical again. I get that it's part of the match-up strategy when playing grind teams like Ferris or Bemidji, so I trust that we're targeting guys who fit that mold, but also skate well.
                    From what I understand, Chris Lipe was brought in to allow the team to have a different look defensively when it is warranted, not an every game situation. It's about having the ability to match physicality when we face it.

Comment

Mitch Meek could help this team. He is healthy, but he is buried. Playing Kiilunen over Mitch is a joke IMO. He is arguably top four. Only one reason I can think of, TK is a walk on so if MM leaves there is another scholarship. There is a big group coming in again next year, gotta make room somehow. The players all know who is best and this flies in the face of that. Gotta play your best guys regardless of physicality, size, blah, blah, blah. Tough to keep the boys playing at a high level when you are not giving them the best team.

Comment

Safe travels to anyone making the trip to BG this weekend!
                        Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

Comment

Here's hoping BG is grabbing their sticks too tight this weekend.

Go Tech!!

Comment

A wise man once said:
                            "Falcon who can not see, can not put puck in net..."
                            Beat those Falcons!

"Hey, who turned out the lights!"
                            Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                            https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                            Originally posted by geezer
                            Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                            Originally posted by manurespreader
                            ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                              A wise man once said:
                              "Falcon who can not see, can not put puck in net..."
                              Beat those Falcons!

"Hey, who turned out the lights!"
                              Nor can that falcon stop the puck. Put it on net and meet me at the crease.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

What a delight to come rushing home turn the game on and find us up 1-0 AND on a power play!!!
                                Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                                "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                                Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                                Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Working...
                                X