Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018-19: Who Cares What They Name It, We Want It

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    Listening to Joe, hearing what he valves, hearing what his mantra is,... I am not surprised. He had his first losing season in his coaching career, he feels his team didn't improve (weak on the puck, didn't play with grit, didn't have total team buy-in,...). IMHO he is being hard on himself. He is trying to implement a culture and playing style change. (Grittier, team first, solid fundamentals) Listening to what Joe talks about, he wants to be able to go nose to nose with MSU and BGSU weekend in and weekend out. As we saw/hear from this weekend, that didn't happen.

His "D" grade for the team hopefully is a wake-up call to them. We had a lot of youth, but didn't have a lot of grit. I like our guys a lot and best wishes to the seniors. We all saw how we couldn't hold a lead, gave up empty net goals, no one stepping up when we needed that one play,... really hurt us this year. This is not meant to sound down on them, but some growth is needed. It will be interesting to see what Joe does on the recruiting trail.

The troubling part about that story was the player didn't try to improve. To be fair they sounded like someone who doesn't love the sport and is being forced to play/collecting the perks. My hope is they wake up, put in the effort required for them to earn what they want.

I hope Joe and Staff follow their hearts. Keep doing what they know is the right thing to do, even if it isn't easy or unconventional.

I like what Joe is building. I like our guys. Go Huskies!!!
    I agree with what you're saying but I do think if he keeps airing these things out in public its going to be more negative than positive for the program.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      I agree with what you're saying but I do think if he keeps airing these things out in public its going to be more negative than positive for the program.
      I agree that he should leave the personal conversations out of it. I very happy he didnt name names.

But I do love when he gets into his stories and we are treated to the little Joeism nuggets like "Walmart Jeans" [emoji23][emoji23]. I can just imagine Dirk sitting there watching to him get on a roll.

All in all I like what he says. He will probably clean up the edges a little bit as it goes. But I don't think he will change his style.

I like this coach, staff and team.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
        I agree that he should leave the personal conversations out of it. I very happy he didnt name names.
        But I do love when he gets into his stories and we are treated to the little Joeism nuggets like "Walmart Jeans" [emoji23][emoji23]. I can just imagine Dirk sitting there watching to him get on a roll.All in all I like what he says. He will probably clean up the edges a little bit as it goes. But I don't think he will change his style.I like this coach, staff and team.
        Not that Walmart jeans are bad. [emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
          Not that Walmart jeans are bad. [emoji23]
          See he is learning how to be PC.

Can't wait to see who we all bring in and how 2019-2020 will go.

Comment

I love the insight into the behind the scenes stuff, but I agree that it would be best left private. I would go so far as to say that some players might get upset enough about being publically discussed that it might affect their willingness to buy in. Kind of a screw that guy mentality. I hope not, but if I was hearing my private conversations on air, I'd be feel a little betrayed.

I do like his philosophy and openness though. And I like this team!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
              I love the insight into the behind the scenes stuff, but I agree that it would be best left private. I would go so far as to say that some players might get upset enough about being publically discussed that it might affect their willingness to buy in. Kind of a screw that guy mentality. I hope not, but if I was hearing my private conversations on air, I'd be feel a little betrayed. I do like his philosophy and openness though. And I like this team!!!
              Honestly, OK I can see a player maybe getting upset BUT if that's their reason to not buy in then they do not belong. You have to be accountable, and maybe that gets their attention.

Comment

Honestly, OK I can see a player maybe getting upset BUT if that's their reason to not buy in then they do not belong. You have to be accountable, and maybe that gets their attention.
                You want your boss or leader to publicly talk about a private 1 on 1 conversation on a radio show? Even if he doesn't use your name, that kinda makes it worse because then the negative reflects on more than just you, it reflects on your teammate that fit the description. In the locker room it must create issues between players too.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

My take is that kid wasn't buying in before he went to talk to Joe. Hence his iceberg comment.

Comment

My take is that kid wasn't buying in before he went to talk to Joe. Hence his iceberg comment.

And by talking about it publicly, he pretty much killed any chance of that kid buying in going forward. These things take a bit of tact, and Joe hasn't shown that tact, at least in a public-facing way. If you have a player not buying in, your job as coach is to find a way to get through to that player, to teach that player, and to get that player on-board. Going public torpedoes any chance you have of doing any of those things.

Next season, my hope is that the show is re-branded as a generic "coaches show" and Joe is only on occasionally. Get Dallas or Chris or Tyler on there, in hopes that they're much more savvy from a media relations and public relations standpoint.
                    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                      And by talking about it publicly, he pretty much killed any chance of that kid buying in going forward. These things take a bit of tact, and Joe hasn't shown that tact, at least in a public-facing way. If you have a player not buying in, your job as coach is to find a way to get through to that player, to teach that player, and to get that player on-board. Going public torpedoes any chance you have of doing any of those things.

Next season, my hope is that the show is re-branded as a generic "coaches show" and Joe is only on occasionally. Get Dallas or Chris or Tyler on there, in hopes that they're much more savvy from a media relations and public relations standpoint.
                      The NFL runs a charm school for new head coaches. He should go to it.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                        The NFL runs a charm school for new head coaches. He should go to it.
                        I like Joe's Yooper charm. Don't ruin him.

Comment

I like Joe's Yooper charm. Don't ruin him.

Charm and tact are not mutually exclusive.
                          Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post

I would imagine Joe shared that and gave himself an F because he felt he had failed to get through to that individual. By extrapolation, he isn't/wasn't going to get through to that type of person. He seems to let those things out when he is frustrated, and I don't blame him.

Sometimes something like that is needed to get a player or players into buying in. For me, it might sting to hear, but it would let me know that I need to work on myself and do better. It is a good life lesson for that player.

I think Joe is doing a great job and has a clear vision for the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                              I would imagine Joe shared that and gave himself an F because he felt he had failed to get through to that individual. By extrapolation, he isn't/wasn't going to get through to that type of person. He seems to let those things out when he is frustrated, and I don't blame him.

Sometimes something like that is needed to get a player or players into buying in. For me, it might sting to hear, but it would let me know that I need to work on myself and do better. It is a good life lesson for that player.

I think Joe is doing a great job and has a clear vision for the team.
                              Not only that individual, but I'd hope the other guys see that and clean up their own act if necessary.

Comment

Not only that individual, but I'd hope the other guys see that and clean up their own act if necessary.
                                ... or see that Coach will sell them out, too.

It's hard for me to remember what it's like to be half of my age, but I can see where I might get cross with a coach over something. Not all group/team cultures are the same.

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X