Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Spartan Hockey 2018-2019 - Preparing for Glory

Heeey not bad. I’ll take any W up in Marquette.

21 total shots is not great, but 5 goals entirely from NOT the top line is pretty cool.

Nevertheless, I have a feeling we’ll need to be better tomorrow to complete the sweep.

Comment

Alright, game just ended and we dropped it 2-0. I listened to a radio stream so I figured i’d post before I head out on the town.

Hard not to be disheartened about the offense. 15 total shots, which is dreadful. It seemed about a hundred times I heard Scott Moore say “shot misses wide”, “blocked by the wildcat defense”, or “And the puck is knocked off his stick” while the Spartans were in the offensive zone. Our top line was completely shut down all weekend. I hope Hirose didn’t stir the drink THAT much.

The positive is that we played well defensively. NMU also generated quite little in terms of scoring chances. It sounded like a real defensive slog.

DeRidder was quite good but apparently absolutely flubbed a beach ball for the dagger near the end. He just flat out missed it. He must have lost track of it in the lights or something.

I’m still pretty sure we’’ll be an improved team over last season but we sure couldn’t outskate the wildcats this weekend.

Comment

Not much new to talk about. Thought we looked mediocre against the U-18 team. Powerplay looked like **** but goaltending has been good.

The KML line is still our best but noticeably less impactful than the KHL line. Certainly no disrespect to Müller, but Hirose was clearly a rare talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
          Not much new to talk about. Thought we looked mediocre against the U-18 team. Powerplay looked like **** but goaltending has been good.

The KML line is still our best but noticeably less impactful than the KHL line. Certainly no disrespect to Müller, but Hirose was clearly a rare talent.
          Hard to get excited about the goaltending when we remain scoring challenged. But I'm the one who continually harps on goaltending consistency, so I'm here to throw the goalie tandem a bone when it's improved.

In other news, and speaking of scoring remedies, I see that the one who got away, Afanasyev, just signed his first NHL contract with the Preds. I'm hopeful Cole has identified similar scoring talent in the pipeline who will stay in college a few seasons.

I'm relatively new to this, but when do we start the 2019-20 thread? Unless it's just going to be you and me going back and forth, Pirateasaur!

Comment

Working...
          X