This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Agree with the last two posts. If BU didn't summarily fire DQ after his disastrous first year, it won't fire Albie. General rule of thumb (except maybe for SEC football) is that, barring scandal or other negative extraneous events, a new HC gets 3-5 years to establish himself, bring in "his" recruits, and fine tune his system and approach. I'd be shocked if Albie didn't have a lot of runway left on lower Comm Ave.
    Last edited by Split-N; 02-19-2019, 01:23 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP66 View Post
      With the season that BU is having there has been rumblings about possibly a 1 and done for Albie...
      huh? who says?
      a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        huh? who says?
        Hey...if it stirs up interest in this thread, I'm all for it. This board is the most dead I've seen it since I joined (however many years ago, but at least 10)

Comment

Agree with all points below, it would be ridiculous to fire Albie after one season given the number of factors out of his control that were laid out below. I do wonder whether there will be some consideration given to changes in the assistant coaching staff. Quinn did make staff changes after 13-14.

That said, there's things him and the staff need to learn from and improve on moving into next season. Prior to Bobo's injury I was happy with how the team was performing and progressing, but post that injury they've fallen off a cliff.
          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Has there been any update on Bobo's injury?

BU Alum '07

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
              Agree with all points below, it would be ridiculous to fire Albie after one season given the number of factors out of his control that were laid out below. I do wonder whether there will be some consideration given to changes in the assistant coaching staff. Quinn did make staff changes after 13-14.

That said, there's things him and the staff need to learn from and improve on moving into next season. Prior to Bobo's injury I was happy with how the team was performing and progressing, but post that injury they've fallen off a cliff.
              I can see changes to the coaching staff under Albie. I think he's leaned on Paul Pearl quite a bit given his extensive HC experience, but the interesting dynamic there is that Pearl had Albie on his staff @ Holy Cross and how he's working under Albie. With that said, I wouldn't be shocked if Len Quesnelle moves on; he was a very late addition to the BU bench prior to last season following Scott Young's departure, and via his long-standing relationship w/ DQ.

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
              BU has underachieved based on preseason expectations. I think there are more than a few BU fans that thought the coaching change and offseason turnover would have minimal impact on the team's performance based on the roster.

A lot of things have not gone BU's way dating back to last Spring. It was no surprise Greenway left early for the NHL and BU had planned for his departure. However, the following situations put BU in a tough spot and has, IMO, directly impacted the team's performance:

OFFSEASON
              1. Hank Crone leaves BU, returns to USHL and subsequently transfers to Denver.
              2. DQ becomes next HC of the Rangers.
              3. Grad transfer Evan Tironese (from RPI) decides to retire. Would've had 2 years' eligibility remaining; was projected to be the 3rd line center behind Bowers/Bobo.
              4. Brady Tkachuk decides in mid-August to sign w/ Ottawa. It's obvious he would've been a difference-maker at BU. Timing of his decision put BU in a very tough spot.

DURING THE SEASON
              6. Key players have underperformed -- Harper, Krys, Bowers, Cockerill and Willman in particular.
              7. Major injuries -- Bobo, Jake Wise -- have depleted the depth amongst forwards.
              8. Players adjusting to different system / Albie having some growing pains on the job.

In hindsight, BU needed a lot of things to go right in order for them to perform and have results comparable to recent years.

To add on to my previous post, I believe DQ's departure influenced both the Tironese and Tkachuk situations.

Comment

Originally posted by joen05 View Post
                Has there been any update on Bobo's injury?
                Officially, no. I don't believe we'll see him back.

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                With that said, I wouldn't be shocked if Len Quesnelle moves on. To add on to my previous post, I believe DQ's departure influenced both the Tironese and Tkachuk situations.
                Quesnelle was the one I had in mind in my post as well. You also have to wonder about the player's commitment to playing if a coaching transition makes him retire with two years of eligibility remaining instead of transfer.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                  BU has underachieved based on preseason expectations. I think there are more than a few BU fans that thought the coaching change and offseason turnover would have minimal impact on the team's performance based on the roster.

A lot of things have not gone BU's way dating back to last Spring. It was no surprise Greenway left early for the NHL and BU had planned for his departure. However, the following situations put BU in a tough spot and has, IMO, directly impacted the team's performance:

OFFSEASON
                  1. Hank Crone leaves BU, returns to USHL and subsequently transfers to Denver.
                  2. DQ becomes next HC of the Rangers.
                  3. Grad transfer Evan Tironese (from RPI) decides to retire. Would've had 2 years' eligibility remaining; was projected to be the 3rd line center behind Bowers/Bobo.
                  4. Brady Tkachuk decides in mid-August to sign w/ Ottawa. It's obvious he would've been a difference-maker at BU. Timing of his decision put BU in a very tough spot.

DURING THE SEA*bbbbvcxxzzlkkkjj
                  8. Players adjusting to different system / Albie having some growing pains on the job.

In hindsight, BU needed a lot of things to go right in order for them to perform and have results comparable to recent years.
                  Every team has years when nothing seems to work out the way it was planned. Notre Dame went to “Frozen Four” last year. they brought plenty of talent back and some promising fresh, yet they will probably have to win their league tournament in order to be a 4th seed somewhere. Give Albie at least three years to bring in the kind of players who fit his system and for those who are here to learn to play within that system.

BTW, I cannot say that I’m impressed with your ability to count from 1-8. ”Don’t try to give all of the “credit” to your BU education.
                  Last edited by HHound; 02-19-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HHound View Post
                    BTW, I cannot say that I’m impressed with your ability to count from 1-8. ”Don’t try to give all of the “credit” to your BU education.
                    BTW, I cannot say that I'm impressed with your ability to correctly use opening and closing quotation marks. Don't try to give all of the credit to your NU education.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                      BTW, I cannot say that I'm impressed with your ability to correctly use opening and closing quotation marks. Don't try to give all of the credit to your NU education.
                      So sorry! My IPad only seems to do ”quotation” marks one way. Does yours omit the number 5? That seems abSurd🌀

Comment

I'm seeing on the Twitter machine that Charlie Coyle has been traded to the Boston Bruins.
                        It Happened!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                          I'm seeing on the Twitter machine that Charlie Coyle has been traded to the Boston Bruins.
                          Just heard on the radio that Bruins sent Donato to the Wild for Coyle.

Comment

Clear sign that everyone has thrown in the towel: It's a game day and this thread is on page 2.

BU Hockey: Irrelevant
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                              Clear sign that everyone has thrown in the towel: It's a game day and this thread is on page 2.

BU Hockey: Irrelevant
                              I was thinking the same thing. While I hope as much as anyone that this team can catch lightning in a bottle for a second season in a row, it would take a miracle to get past UMass. However, I will say that I think this team can beat any of the other teams in Hockey East IF they play their best games of the season. At this point I am just hoping that we get to the Garden, that Farabee wins HE ROY, and that Harper gets his mojo back in time for next season.

A road sweep would restore a little faith.
                              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

How did the boys win on an eng in ot with 16 sec left??
                                Or at least that's what chn claims in their box score
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X