This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
    I don't disagree with this statement, but I think it minimizes how McAvoy uses that skating ability. He was so good at covering the rushing forward, making sure he pushed him wide to force him behind the net, use his stick skills to take the puck, and start skating up ice with it, all without really even breaking stride. I don't know that I've seen any other defenseman at BU that was able to make that play so effectively. I think it is a reason he has had success at the NHL level already.
    Happy Gilmore also did everything better, except skate
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      Could be a grad transfer candidate though I doubt there would be a Minnesota State-level suitor for him. Connor was a very, very solid backup and put up some great performances in that role. Max unfortunately has not and the one shot he got this year was so disastrous that it likely necessitated bringing Purpura in early to be able to give Jake some nights off.
      It was really pleasing to see Lacouvee have as great a year as he did last year @ Mankato, and having some AHL success this season in Laval. He certainly played well at times @ BU but had challenges putting it all together when he & Maguire shared duties in 2015-16.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
        Next man's opinion...

1. BU outplayed ASU for much of the 1st period. Numerous grade-A scoring chances. If they scored a couple of goals in that stretch, the complexion of the game totally changes. I don't think this BU team has issues front-running (not like it's happened often this season), but seems to get down on itself when they outplay the opposition and have nothing to show for it. It's the 4th home game where this has happened - 2nd Maine game, BC and Lowell were the other games where I felt this was also the case.
        I thought BU did a good job rushing the net and taking it to ASU on Saturday, but they suffer from Milan Lucic syndrome, which is an inability to knock home the puck no matter how good the chance. The effort is there. The ability....well, it worries me when the top scorer is a defenseman and only one guy has double digit goals (10 leads the team) as we enter February! A team with good effort and good goaltending but trouble hitting the back of the net = a .500 team, which is exactly what we have.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
          One man's opinion -

1. I didn't think BU was awful Saturday night. I thought the difference in the game was that BU looked like they wanted to win, ASU played like the had to win. ASU did a great job of blocking shots and using their sticks to disrupt passes.

2. On the replay, it looked like the ASU goalie managed to deflect Willman's top of the crease shot with his skate? I thought that was a goal for sure.

3. Now, next year's recruiting class (entering in the fall) is supposed to be better than the current freshman class, right? So, if Bowers and Farrabee return, then we have something? I assume Fabbro is long gone.

BU has a great incoming recruiting class but mostly defenseman. Class is probably highlighted by Zegras at forward from the USNDTP. They also have three defensemen coming in from the USNDTP with Vlasic, Fensore and McCarthy (assuming they all signed NLI) and Mastrisimone up front all seem ready for college. Not sure any of the other commits (Phillips, Copeland, Gorman) will be coming in next year or will be waiting another year in juniors. A big question mark is if Oettinger comes back for his senior year - he is a captain and the Dallas Stars goalie situation is pretty set right now. If Oettinger comes back for senior season that would be a great transition for Commesso (USNDTP) goalie to step in for Oettinger or do they bring him in early if Oettinger leaves? That 2020 class has more forwards with Tuch (USNDTP), Peterson (USNDTP), Connors, Carrabes in that class and only Cade Weber on D. As always it will depend on who leaves and when they are ready to come in but the BU recruiting pipeline is pretty loaded.
          Last edited by Lemonade; 01-29-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
            BU has a great incoming recruiting class but mostly defenseman. Class is probably highlighted by Zegras at forward from the USNDTP. They also have three defensemen coming in from the USNDTP with Vlasic, Fensore and McCarthy (assuming they all signed NLI) and Mastrisimone up front all seem ready for college. Not sure any of the other commits (Phillips, Copeland, Gorman) will be coming in next year or will be waiting another year in juniors. A big question mark is if Oettinger comes back for his senior year - he is a captain and the Dallas Stars goalie situation is pretty set right now. If Oettinger comes back for senior season that would be a great transition for Commesso (USNDTP) goalie to step in for Oettinger or do they bring him in early if Oettinger leaves? That 2020 class has more forwards with Tuch (USNDTP), Peterson (USNDTP), Connors, Carrabes in that class and only Cade Weber on D. As always it will depend on who leaves and when they are ready to come in but the BU recruiting pipeline is pretty loaded.
            All four NTDP recruits have signed NLIs and am pretty sure Mastrosimone and Phillips had done so as well. Gorman, an older kid who was drafted by Pittsburgh last year, is the only recruited forward with size in the current class. BU recently was a finalist for high-scoring BCHL power forward Mike Hardman, but he committed to BC.

Doubt very much that Oettinger returns. Dallas was anxious to sign him last summer and I've heard he either will graduate or be very close this spring. Commesso is only a HS junior, so unless he accelerates this summer, he'll arrive in 2020. There's a second D in the 2020 class, Braden Doyle, who is having a standout year for Lawrence Academy. He and Mastrosimone were teammates at Shattuck a few years ago.

USA Hockey story on Zegras.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
              All four NTDP recruits have signed NLIs and am pretty sure Mastrosimone and Phillips had done so as well. Gorman, an older kid who was drafted by Pittsburgh last year, is the only recruited forward with size in the current class. BU recently was a finalist for high-scoring BCHL power forward Mike Hardman, but he committed to BC.

Doubt very much that Oettinger returns. Dallas was anxious to sign him last summer and I've heard he either will graduate or be very close this spring. Commesso is only a HS junior, so unless he accelerates this summer, he'll arrive in 2020. There's a second D in the 2020 class, Braden Doyle, who is having a standout year for Lawrence Academy. He and Mastrosimone were teammates at Shattuck a few years ago.

USA Hockey story on Zegras.

I would think Oettinger does leave but there is a small chance he may want to stay. Ben Bishop is signed thru the 22/23 season so there is no rush there. Could play BU for 2019/2020 season, then go pro and play a year in AHL then to NHL for 22/23. May not be a bad route for him.

Comment

• JFK back to Providence, takes Donato along for the ride.
                if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

The only important question for next year is who is on the schedule

Starting out of the gate dropping a pair to Mankato means the boys have no shot at flipping pairwise against the likes of bowling green now.
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I understand that Fabbro is expected to turn pro. With three D coming in do you expect any others to leave school?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                      The only important question for next year is who is on the schedule

Starting out of the gate dropping a pair to Mankato means the boys have no shot at flipping pairwise against the likes of bowling green now.
                      My understanding is Albie wants to move away from early-season OOC series on the road that are out west and instead try and play them a bit later into the season in November or December.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                        JFK back to Providence, takes Donato along for the ride.
                        I'm still upset with Sweeney for pulling him out so soon. Burning a year on your ELC is all well and good if you are a superstar, but in JFKs case, he might have been better off with an additional year of experience before getting to the next contract.

Gotta give Trent Fredric chops for finding some way to stand out in this search for a 3rd line center. I have to admit I was pretty disturbed by his parents reaction in the stands. Does a mom really like to see her son beat the snot out of someone?
                        BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by PPGuru View Post
                          I understand that Fabbro is expected to turn pro. With three D coming in do you expect any others to leave school?
                          BU began the season with 8 Ds, compared with 9 the previous season. With Vidoli's departure, they're down to seven. So if everyone except Fabbro returns, that leaves six. While I agree with buoldtimer's assessment of Krys below, Chicago still might want him to turn pro rather than risk losing him after a senior year.
                          The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            Gotta give Trent Fredric chops for finding some way to stand out in this search for a 3rd line center. I have to admit I was pretty disturbed by his parents reaction in the stands. Does a mom really like to see her son beat the snot out of someone?
                            I had that same reaction....although maybe it was "relief" because he didn't get killed?

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                              BU began the season with 8 Ds, compared with 9 the previous season. With Vidoli's departure, they're down to seven. So if everyone except Fabbro returns, that leaves six. While I agree with buoldtimer's assessment of Krys below, Chicago still might want him to turn pro rather than risk losing him after a senior year.
                              Even if both Fabbro and Krys left, BU has Vlasic, McCarthy, Fensore coming in, which would bring the # of D back up to 8 for next season. Webber could also be accelerated and join the team as an 18 yo next season (I think the current plan is for him to arrive in 2020) if there was an unexpected departure on D...

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              My understanding is Albie wants to move away from early-season OOC series on the road that are out west and instead try and play them a bit later into the season in November or December.
                              As of now, I think next season's OOC opponents are (dates for home & away OOC games are TBD):

HOME
                              * N. Michigan (2X)
                              * Harvard
                              * Brown

AWAY
                              * Dartmouth
                              * Union

NEUTRAL
                              * Beanpot (2X)
                              * Cornell (Red Hot Hockey)

Comment

[

As of now, I think next season's OOC opponents are (dates for home & away OOC games are TBD):

HOME
                                * N. Michigan (2X)
                                * Harvard
                                * Brown

AWAY
                                * Dartmouth
                                * Union

NEUTRAL
                                * Beanpot (2X)
                                * Cornell (Red Hot Hockey)[/QUOTE]

another year with a terrible home schedule if true- 2 years in a row without any teams from Big Ten and NCHC
                                When I raised schedule issues at Albie's introduction I was told had trouble filling out schedule so had to fill in with Northern Michigan
                                We should never play two games at home together against western opponents - There are enough teams to fill out the other night

I get why we have to play two games at the away venue

Comment

Working...
                                X