This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    The tickets are printed on Merrimack ticket stock and say "GROUP $10". So I'm guessing we got a group rate by buying a few weeks in advance. (There were eight of us.)
    Ryan J
    That’s new. At least as of 2 years ago a group rate was about $1 off per ticket.
    It's just as serious as you're willing to take it.

Comment

Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Who'd thought the BU thread would digress into a Merrimack ticket price thread?

The big question for BU is will they win a regular season game in October?

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

Signs point to no
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

Well given how good PC looks, 0-4 is a very real possibility.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            Well given how good PC looks, 0-4 is a very real possibility.
            PC has wins over a tired/injured UConn, AIC, and Miami, got shutout by ND and tied Sacred Heart. They also lost a few players in the opening weeks. While they're certainly very good they don't appear to be world beaters at this point.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

At this point a team doesn’t even need to be egg beaters to grab a couple points off the terriors
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

With the World Series on, I wonder if they will try to adjust the game schedule so as not to conflict? They have done it a handful of times for the Patriots so there is precedent.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  With the World Series on, I wonder if they will try to adjust the game schedule so as not to conflict? They have done it a handful of times for the Patriots so there is precedent.
                  They will not be. I think it is easier to adjust the game times on a Saturday (or Sunday) than it is on a Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                    They will not be. I think it is easier to adjust the game times on a Saturday (or Sunday) than it is on a Friday.
                    Indeed.. being on a Friday makes it more of a challenge to adjust... although they have had 6:30 games on a Friday before. Either way though its a bummer. Likely to hurt attendance i'd think.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                      Indeed.. being on a Friday makes it more of a challenge to adjust... although they have had 6:30 games on a Friday before. Either way though its a bummer. Likely to hurt attendance i'd think.
                      Agreed on Game 3's impact on attendance tomorrow.

BU put on "Hockey Hysteria" Tuesday evening at Agganis for both the Men's & Women's teams. Kinda like Midnight Madness but at 9pm. Based on what I saw posted on social media, the # of students there was only in the double-digits.

Comment

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
                        Agreed on Game 3's impact on attendance tomorrow.

BU put on "Hockey Hysteria" Tuesday evening at Agganis for both the Men's & Women's teams. Kinda like Midnight Madness but at 9pm. Based on what I saw posted on social media, the # of students there was only in the double-digits.
                        In the late Eighties/early Nineties the building looked full for Midnight Madness. I’ve commented on this issue a number of times over the last couple of years. The students’ lack of interest should be troubling the athletic department and the school’s administration. Are they noticing this trend and are they doing anything about it?

Comment

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                          Those 6pm Friday games were THE WORST. If they were to move the time, a 1/4pm Saturday would be way better. Getting anywhere in Greater Boston by 6pm on Friday is horrible.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            Those 6pm Friday games were THE WORST. If they were to move the time, a 1/4pm Saturday would be way better. Getting anywhere in Greater Boston by 6pm on Friday is horrible.
                            No doubt those were rough. Likely easier to shift the start time by an hour or two than to move to a different day... although Saturday at 1 or 4 would be awesome and neither BU nor Providence has a Saturday game and from what I can see, no big event at Agganis on Saturday that would conflict.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                              In the late Eighties/early Nineties the building looked full for Midnight Madness. I’ve commented on this issue a number of times over the last couple of years. The students’ lack of interest should be troubling the athletic department and the school’s administration. Are they noticing this trend and are they doing anything about it?
                              I'm quite confident the Athletic dept and upper administration are aware of this trend, but am less confident that it's a high priority for them right now. Some of my observations include:

The average age of a BU hockey fan / season tix holder is not getting younger. Look around Agganis and you still see many familiar faces from the WBA days; however, even some of those longtime fans are rarely seen nowadays. I worry that if young alumni and current students don't bolster their in-person support of the program, there will likely be an even steeper decline in attendance years from now due to this widening age gap within the BU fan base.

I've also noticed that many of the hardcore Dog Pound members from the 2000s - early 2010s are not seen around Agganis (at least not regularly) anymore. IMO, factors such as recent BU grads less likely staying in the Boston area upon graduation, other life priorities (career, grad school), cost, etc. all contribute to the lack of young alumni attendance. This is quite different than when I graduated in the 90s, when the majority of my BU friends stayed in Boston, kept their season tix thru their 20s-30s, and are still going to games regularly -- now with kids in tow -- in their 40s.

I also strongly believe the "typical" BU student has evolved. As BU has become as selective and difficult as ever for students to be accepted into, the "typical" BU student seems to be even more academic, community and research-focused compared to predecessors. Athletics seems even less likely to be a part of these students' lives, where the appeal of attending BU hockey games (or any athletics event) and becoming a devoted BU hockey fan seems like a lower priority nowadays for many students.

In this digital age, it's also much easier to follow the team and find out what you need to know via social media. One can't underestimate the unintended consequences that current technology capabilities have had on in-person support of BU hockey. Local fans can feel connected/engaged to the program without committing the time & money regularly to attend games.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                                What can they "do" about it? This discussion has been going on for at least five years. Attendance is down EVERYWHERE in college sports. The old days ain't coming back. There are too many other distractions in addition to the fact that it is just too easy to watch/listen/follow a game via technology. For many, there is not the attention span to sit through live games anymore.

You'll probably say "marketing" or "promotions." But if the kids don't want to go, you can't force them to. This is not an isolated campus where it's the "only game in town." And again (I have mentioned this ad nauseum but apparently some people just don't want to accept/acknowledge it), college hockey is a NICHE sport (regardless of those of us who live and die with it). Even at Columbia in the middle of NYC you would probably get good crowds for a basketball game (for example), because people who come from ANYWHERE in the country/world are familiar with the game. That is NOT the case in hockey and anyone who thinks it is has their head in the sand.

I'm not "absolving" the athletic department. Are there some things they "could" do? I suppose, but I believe they would have minimal impact. BU is no longer a blue-collar, local commuter school. Most people couldn't care less about hockey. Sorry if you don't like to hear that. After a while one would think that the results (I'm not referring to the "results" on the ice, but rather in the stands) would speak for themselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X