X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post

2010 - 3 (Gryba, Z. Cohen, Popko)
    2011 - 2 (Pereira, Kraus)
    2012 - 5 (Connolly, Millan, Rollheiser, K. Gilroy, Gaudet)
    2013 - 5 (Megan, Escobedo, Rosen, Santana, Ruikka)
    2014 - 4 (Noonan, MacGregor, Ronan, Moscatel)
    2015 - 3 (Rodrigues, Hohmann, Moccia)
    2016 - 5 (Grzelcyk, O'Regan, Lane, Oksanen, Moran)
    2017 - 3 (Somerby, Roberto, Kelley)
    2018 - 6 (Hickey, Olsson, Phelps, Macleod, Diffley, Melanson)

36 Seniors over 9 years = 4 Seniors/year average

In those Senior classes, the # of incoming Freshmen in each class was:

2010 - 5
    2011 - 7
    2012 - 10
    2013 - 8
    2014 - 8
    2015 - 4
    2016 - 9
    2017 - 9
    2018 - 9

69 Incoming Freshmen over 9 years

Out of the last 9 graduating classes, only 52% of the players in those classes were 4-year players.

Also, when looking at the returning players on the current roster (classes of 2019 - 2021), there were 26 incoming Freshmen with only 16 remaining on current roster --> 62% retention (or 38% turnover resulting from early departures, transfers, cuts, etc.).

Seniors (2019) - 8 Freshmen --> 4 Seniors
    Juniors (2020) - 10 Freshmen --> 6 Juniors
    Sophomores (2021) - 8 Freshmen --> 6 Sophomores

Recruiting may be an issue based on the context. When Quinn took over, it was very clear his focus on rebuilding BU Hockey would be based on recruiting blue-chippers more so than player development. He surrounded himself with assistants (Greeley, Albie) whose strengths were recruiting. While that approach certainly paid off in some ways (esp. from a branding standpoint), the lack of emphasis on recruiting 4-year players who could develop into impact players & leaders as upperclassmen is something I hope (and believe) will change for the better. BU Hockey needs more Rodrigues, Hohmann, O'Regan, Grzelcyk to complement the Bowers, Farabees (and Zegras next year)...
    All of this is certainly leading to the fall from power from the former elite programs especially at BU however that doesnt take OConnell and this team off the hook for puking on their shoes/skates this year. Maybe there isn’t enough talent or experience to be elite this year but with Oettinger, Fabbro, Carpenter, Bowers, Harper, Farrance, Krys, Farabee, Cockerill,Amonte, Curry they should atleast be a good team. They are not.
    Last edited by Jofa; 02-16-2019, 03:27 PM.

Comment

• Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

I've been thinking about the team's performance and in my mind have been going through the returning players and whether or not they are better or worse than last season. Here's my assessment:

#1 - Lynch - N/A
      #2 - Switzer - no change
      #3 - Amonte - better
      #4 - Farrance - better
      #5 - Crotty - better
      #7 - Krys - same, he's very up and down (more down lately) but that's the player he's always been
      #8 - Cloonan - better, I no longer look down at my phone when he is in offensive zone when I knew there was no way BU would score
      #9 - Cockerill - worse, with the second half he had last season I was expecting about a 30-point season
      #10 - Chabot - worse, but not a big impact that he is worse. Had hoped he may develop into a 10-point season.
      #11- Curry - better
      #14 - Carpenter - no change
      #15 - Bowers - worse, should have had a 40-point sophomore season
      #17 - Fabbro - better, I finally see him worthy as a first round NHL pick. A lot more poise to his game this season along with more stamina and speed (meaning he no longer skates like he has weights in his skates)
      #21 - Harper - worse, not the same player he was before the illness
      #22 - Witkowski - no change
      #26 - Kotkansalo - no change
      #30 - Oettinger - no change, this one is tough. He's worse because it seems like he lets in a softy every game. He's better because he's kept the team in many games they had no business being in, so overall the same.
      #31 - Prawdzik - no change

Three of the worse players (Cockerill, Bowers, and Harper) are dragging this team down ALONG WITH only having one impact freshman player (Farabee).

The good news is that there are more better players than worse players which speaks to Albie being able to develop talent. The bad news is that freshman class isn't strong though I do see potential in DeBoer, Wise gets an incomplete, while Cheremeta, Quercia, and Blixt matriculated as 19 or 20 year olds and could be the change in recruiting philosophy that most are speaking about on this board. Cheremeta and Quercia could turn into really good 4th line players on a championship-caliber team.

If Cockerill, Bowers, and Harper were meeting expectations maybe this team would be 15-10-3 but perhaps this season is part of the growing pains in change in recruiting philosophy, though I haven't looked at the upcoming classes.

Comment

Originally posted by kbz View Post
        I've been thinking about the team's performance and in my mind have been going through the returning players and whether or not they are better or worse than last season. Here's my assessment:

#1 - Lynch - N/A
        #2 - Switzer - no change
        #3 - Amonte - better
        #4 - Farrance - better
        #5 - Crotty - better
        #7 - Krys - same, he's very up and down (more down lately) but that's the player he's always been
        #8 - Cloonan - better, I no longer look down at my phone when he is in offensive zone when I knew there was no way BU would score
        #9 - Cockerill - worse, with the second half he had last season I was expecting about a 30-point season
        #10 - Chabot - worse, but not a big impact that he is worse. Had hoped he may develop into a 10-point season.
        #11- Curry - better
        #14 - Carpenter - no change
        #15 - Bowers - worse, should have had a 40-point sophomore season
        #17 - Fabbro - better, I finally see him worthy as a first round NHL pick. A lot more poise to his game this season along with more stamina and speed (meaning he no longer skates like he has weights in his skates)
        #21 - Harper - worse, not the same player he was before the illness
        #22 - Witkowski - no change
        #26 - Kotkansalo - no change
        #30 - Oettinger - no change, this one is tough. He's worse because it seems like he lets in a softy every game. He's better because he's kept the team in many games they had no business being in, so overall the same.
        #31 - Prawdzik - no change

Three of the worse players (Cockerill, Bowers, and Harper) are dragging this team down ALONG WITH only having one impact freshman player (Farabee).

The good news is that there are more better players than worse players which speaks to Albie being able to develop talent. The bad news is that freshman class isn't strong though I do see potential in DeBoer, Wise gets an incomplete, while Cheremeta, Quercia, and Blixt matriculated as 19 or 20 year olds and could be the change in recruiting philosophy that most are speaking about on this board. Cheremeta and Quercia could turn into really good 4th line players on a championship-caliber team.

If Cockerill, Bowers, and Harper were meeting expectations maybe this team would be 15-10-3 but perhaps this season is part of the growing pains in change in recruiting philosophy, though I haven't looked at the upcoming classes.
        Very fair assessments here. Only disagreements I have are Bobo and Harper need asterisks due to their health. It's clear Harper has not regained his form pre-illness/injury last season so that has to be considered. I anticipate he'll return next year so judgment of him is probably better suited for after next season. Bobo has been battling a lingering injury for the better part of the season, which seems to have finally gotten the better of him, but was still having a very solid year in all three zones before going down in January. I'd argue he's improved.

The lack of top-level scoring from Cockerill, Bowers, and Harper has indeed hurt the team's overall success. I hope we can hang on to those three, plus Farrance and Krys along with Curry, Amonte, Chabot, Crotty, and Kasper that'd be a solid core of 10 very experienced upperclassmen skaters next season who'd be everyday players. That's the kind of roster construction a successful college team is going to need to win it all. Having the blue-chippers is a necessary component, but it can only be a component - not the majority. A team needs of the experienced Pat Curry, Matt Lane, Luke Popko, Hohmann kind of players just as much.
        Last edited by brassbonanza; 02-16-2019, 03:57 PM.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
          Great draft pick coming our way...
          So.... Who is the 'great draft pick'?

Comment

• Originally posted by OldAlum View Post
            I think the poster is referring to Zegras.

Comment

• Originally posted by OldAlum View Post
              I think Mook means that poor finishing teams get high draft picks like in the pros. 90% of his posts are sarcastic just like 90% of mine are negative.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                I think Mook means that poor finishing teams get high draft picks like in the pros. 90% of his posts are sarcastic just like 90% of mine are negative.
                BU is tanking for Zion.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post

guys screwed up the 'seven is heaven' with the win last night
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Jofa View Post
                    That was my read as well...
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Interesting game last night. Through 2 periods, the best entertainment was the BU Band's on-ice Dancing Queen rendition. The sound was excellent, and I was prepared to ask a couple of those lady skaters to suit up...
                      - Another strong game for Oettinger. The defense was playing with fire early on, and then down the stretch, he bailed them out many times.
                      - Meant to post before the game - hats off to Curry on having a heck of a year. He should be the team's Most Improved hands down.
                      - The second period was a snooze fest. BU had 2 shots, and I think UConn only had 3 or 4 until the past couple minutes.
                      - There was one shift for BU literally had 3 golden scoring opportunities, but couldn't execute. I think it started with Farrance coming right down the slot and mishandling the puck, and ended with DeBoer just missing someone else coming down the slot. I felt like that 30 seconds was a microcosm of our season.
                      - I was feeling clairvoyant. Around 20 seconds before Amonte's goal, I said to my friend "He needs to be like his dad and score a goal!". And then when we took the late penalty, I said "It's time for a short-handed goal". Heck of a shot by Farabee.
                      - I thought Harper started to look better - more speed and elusiveness than even a couple games ago. Hope it continues.
                      - I don't mean to be harsh, but Chad Krys is turning into a serious liability. I really would not be upset if for whatever reason, Chicago signed him. He seems like a fun kid to have on the team, he is an assistant captain, but he makes bad decisions, and often can't execute well on the good decisions he does make.
                      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

boys didn't lose last night
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

• Originally posted by defkit View Post
                          Interesting game last night. Through 2 periods, the best entertainment was the BU Band's on-ice Dancing Queen rendition. The sound was excellent, and I was prepared to ask a couple of those lady skaters to suit up.
                          Probably the highlight of the year and I missed it. Go Band!

I agree on Curry and Krys.

It’ll all be over in 7 games. (Maybe 8)
                          It Happened!!!!

Comment

With the season that BU is having there has been rumblings about possibly a 1 and done for Albie. Whereas I think that is unlikely and unfair to Albie, is there even a speck of truth to these? I will say that I was a bit surprised at the lack of star power names interested in the job last spring. I felt as though Albie won by default. I think he deserves more than 1 season, but I am sure the leash will be short.

Comment

Rumblings from who? Sounds like complete BS to me. Colleges should ditch a coach after one year for two reasons. A scandal or W/L results so outrageously bad that there is no turning back. For as bad as BU is, they don't fall into that 2nd category. It would be absurd to fire him.

Comment

BU has underachieved based on preseason expectations. I think there are more than a few BU fans that thought the coaching change and offseason turnover would have minimal impact on the team's performance based on the roster.

A lot of things have not gone BU's way dating back to last Spring. It was no surprise Greenway left early for the NHL and BU had planned for his departure. However, the following situations put BU in a tough spot and has, IMO, directly impacted the team's performance:

OFFSEASON
                                1. Hank Crone leaves BU, returns to USHL and subsequently transfers to Denver.
                                2. DQ becomes next HC of the Rangers.
                                3. Grad transfer Evan Tironese (from RPI) decides to retire. Would've had 2 years' eligibility remaining; was projected to be the 3rd line center behind Bowers/Bobo.
                                4. Brady Tkachuk decides in mid-August to sign w/ Ottawa. It's obvious he would've been a difference-maker at BU. Timing of his decision put BU in a very tough spot.

DURING THE SEASON
                                6. Key players have underperformed -- Harper, Krys, Bowers, Cockerill and Willman in particular.
                                7. Major injuries -- Bobo, Jake Wise -- have depleted the depth amongst forwards.
                                8. Players adjusting to different system / Albie having some growing pains on the job.

In hindsight, BU needed a lot of things to go right in order for them to perform and have results comparable to recent years.

Comment

Working...
                                X