• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chickod
    replied
    Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    I didn't hear Jaffe's line since I was at the game, but that only further confirms this is a potential season-ender.
    Yeah, that's why it was "concerning" when I heard it, as if he knew something that hadn't been made public yet.

Leave a comment:

• brassbonanza
    replied

Originally posted by chickod View Post
    I agree with that assessment. People may have missed (and it was easy to as it was sort of a "throwaway" line) when Jaffe said that (and I have to paraphrase without going back and watching the tape) "He's not going to be back anytime soon," which to me means there is no way it could have been a "game time" decision. There were never any plans for him to play Monday. Frankly, one has to wonder if he will be back at all...you had to hear the inflection in his voice the way he said it to detect that.
    I didn't hear Jaffe's line since I was at the game, but that only further confirms this is a potential season-ender.

Leave a comment:

• chickod
    replied

The issue is, from what I understand, a lingering leg injury of some kind. I don't specifically know the severity, but from reading the tea leaves I don't believe this is a short-term thing and am skeptical that he was actually a game time decision on Monday.
    I agree with that assessment. People may have missed (and it was easy to as it was sort of a "throwaway" line) when Jaffe said that (and I have to paraphrase without going back and watching the tape) "He's not going to be back anytime soon," which to me means there is no way it could have been a "game time" decision. There were never any plans for him to play Monday. Frankly, one has to wonder if he will be back at all...you had to hear the inflection in his voice the way he said it to detect that.

Leave a comment:

• brassbonanza
    replied

Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Has anybody heard what Bobo's issue is? I've seen in more than one place/heard comments I think even on the broadcast Monday night that while he was apparently at one point a game-time decision, he might also be out of the year...very odd.
    The issue is, from what I understand, a lingering leg injury of some kind. I don't specifically know the severity, but from reading the tea leaves I don't believe this is a short-term thing and am skeptical that he was actually a game time decision on Monday.

Leave a comment:

• Friend_of_BU_Hockey
    replied

Are we sure he was shoved out and didn't just transfer willingly?
    While they may have planned on Tkachuk and JFK leaving early, I am pretty sure they lost both of them a year earlier than they expected.
    From my sources, it sounds like Crone was asked to return to the USHL by DQ. Heard his adjustment to D1 last year didn't go anywhere near as well as expected.

The plan for Crone was to spend last year in the USHL, then arrive as a 20 year-old Freshman this season. Plans were accelerated following JFK's premature, unexpected departure. What also occurred that offseason was:

- Johnny McDermott asked to play a year in USHL to make room for Ty Amonte, who was also originally slated to arrive at BU as a 20 year-old Freshman this season. Amonte was accelerated based on the year he had for the Vernon Vipers and BU's desperate need for a right-shot forward.

- Kieffer Bellows leaves for MJs; Drew Melanson added as a grad transfer, which worked out quite well.

- Oskar Andren transfers to Ferris State; Jake Witkowski backfills Andren's spot on the roster.

From the BU perspective, the timing of Tkachuk's departure was less than ideal. As contingency, BU added Cheremeta to the roster a few weeks before Tkachuk made his decision. However, it's very clear Tkachuk would've had a much bigger impact on this BU team than Cheremeta has.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by Jofa View Post
    Wasn’t Harper game to game all year too?
    Thought that as well. Then last game in hea playoffs or so we read been out for all year.

Injuries like pasties newsfeed

Leave a comment:

• Jofa
    replied
    Has anybody heard what Bobo's issue is? I've seen in more than one place/heard comments I think even on the broadcast Monday night that while he was apparently at one point a game-time decision, he might also be out of the year...very odd.
    Wasn’t Harper game to game all year too?

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
    BU isn't what it used to be, that said, you can't do too much without coaching consistency, and players leaving every year. I knew your last Coach at Kent and wasn't impressed and yet still he's over at the Rangers...I liked Albie when he was over at NU and give him a few years, you guys will be fine. That said, the landscape of hockey has changed and the days of rubber stamping HE championships and NCAA tournaments to BU and BC year in and year out are likely over. Still if Jake plays well like he has been down the stretch you can beat anybody!
    I agree with everything on here, though Jake might have to pitch shutouts for us to beat some of the top teams out there.

Leave a comment:

• RossiRules
    replied

BU isn't what it used to be, that said, you can't do too much without coaching consistency, and players leaving every year. I knew your last Coach at Kent and wasn't impressed and yet still he's over at the Rangers...I liked Albie when he was over at NU and give him a few years, you guys will be fine. That said, the landscape of hockey has changed and the days of rubber stamping HE championships and NCAA tournaments to BU and BC year in and year out are likely over. Still if Jake plays well like he has been down the stretch you can beat anybody!

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    Why is any single elimination tournament ending in a shootout?
    because it is

Leave a comment:

• Sean Pickett
    replied

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
    1.) Beacuse it's an option for deciding which team advances in an in-season tournament; and 2.) in 2007 BC and Harvard went to triple overtime in the second game of the women's Beanpot semifinals (BC 4, Harvard 3) and ended at 12:21 AM in the morning. After that the semifinals were changed from unlimited 20 minute overtimes to a standard 5 minute overtime and the shootout. The championship game remains unlimited 20 minute overtimes (for now).

FYI, tonight's shootout was the fourth since the change was made and NU has participated in all of them (2-2).

Sean
    Last edited by Sean Pickett; 02-05-2019, 10:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Thiessen'sBetter
    replied

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied

Congrats to the women's team for defeating NU in a shootout. NU had a 1-0 lead in the shootout after 2 shooters each, but BU got the save and then the goal needed to send it to extra shooters, where they won it. BU never led during regulation, they kept tying it up.

Leave a comment:

• defkit
    replied

While they may have planned on Tkachuk and JFK leaving early, I am pretty sure they lost both of them a year earlier than they expected.

Speaking of Tkachuk - is he hurt? Haven't seen his name on the scoring sheets in a while.

I think BU has tried to recruit some older guys, but they tend to not be for top 6 roles.

I think Wise has the skill to make it, more than Crone did. It certainly took him some time to adjust, and perhaps he didn't really before he got hurt.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X