Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

    Originally posted by defkit View Post
    Nice to see Alex Chiasson having a very strong start to his season in Edmonton, after Washington opted to not re-sign him. His 5 goals are third on the team, and he is on pace to blow past his career high of 13.
    He had another last night, a PPG with an assist to #97. Evidently, his scoring touch is getting him some better playing time!
    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

    Comment


    • Originally posted by defkit View Post
      Only caught the first period. But when combined with Thursday night, the team definitely found some offensive flow. Now, whether that has to do with the style of play of the opponent, I don't know. But it is encouraging to see them score some goals, and gain some confidence. Hopefully that is what we will continue to see as the season continues.
      I think NU's style of play certainly helped with BU gaining some offensive rhythm. PP looked better but still very much a work in progress.

      Looking at upcoming opponents, UNH, Maine, UCONN, Union/Yale, BC are not as physical/defensive-minded as the teams BU lost to. Lowell is the only opponent in 1st half of season that fits the mold of Mankato, PC.

      Hopefully they gained confidence from the NU series that can carry over into desired results against opponents whom I feel BU matches up better against.

      Comment


      • Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

        Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Only caught the first period. But when combined with Thursday night, the team definitely found some offensive flow. Now, whether that has to do with the style of play of the opponent, I don't know. But it is encouraging to see them score some goals, and gain some confidence. Hopefully that is what we will continue to see as the season continues.
        Terrier Takeaway on the 4-1 win from NYT writer Neal Boudette now up on the blog.
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

        Comment


        • Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

          JFK has been called up.
          It Happened!!!!

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Harry Cleverly View Post
            The 1976-77 team started out 0-4, and went on to win the ECACs for the fourth straight year and go to the Frozen Four. Of course, that team had two Meaghers, Eruzione, O'Callahan, Silk, Lamby, Craig etc. The season before the Wiseguys.
            Oh sod off. You should have never gotten out of the semi finals!
            #Knightmares
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

            ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

            Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

            I want to live forever. So far, so good.

            Comment


            • Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

              What's going on? This thread seems dead. A win is a win, as fortuitous as it was.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by chickod View Post
                What's going on? This thread seems dead. A win is a win, as fortuitous as it was.
                Sounds like you were at the game. Observations are always appreciated. And yes, the Bowers GWG was sweet.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                  Sounds like you were at the game. Observations are always appreciated. And yes, the Bowers GWG was sweet.
                  Unfortunately no. I planned to go but a family situation intervened. I did watch on ESPN+ however. Simple summary. They won because of superior talent. Simplistic but true. Nothing really remarkable. Oettinger was good when he had to be. PP was 2-6. It will be another example of improvement as the year goes on. Too much turnover every year to go wire to wire. And with the PWR that will always be an issue now. They can win these games but not against the iron this early in the season.

                  Comment


                  • Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

                    Originally posted by chickod View Post
                    Unfortunately no. I planned to go but a family situation intervened. I did watch on ESPN+ however. Simple summary. They won because of superior talent. Simplistic but true. Nothing really remarkable. Oettinger was good when he had to be. PP was 2-6. It will be another example of improvement as the year goes on. Too much turnover every year to go wire to wire. And with the PWR that will always be an issue now. They can win these games but not against the iron this early in the season.
                    I was there, this is more or less correct. They played well in the first half of the game but struggled in the second half when UNH adjusted. PP was OK, PK still needs work. There was noticeable improvement in their offensive zone organization and awareness at even strength which lead to carrying much of the play early on. That said, they won a game they should've won so that's an improvement over where they were - two road points in conference don't come easy. Only area I disagree with is Jake had an excellent game.
                    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

                    Comment


                    • Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

                      Originally posted by chickod View Post
                      Unfortunately no. I planned to go but a family situation intervened. I did watch on ESPN+ however. Simple summary. They won because of superior talent. Simplistic but true. Nothing really remarkable. Oettinger was good when he had to be. PP was 2-6. It will be another example of improvement as the year goes on. Too much turnover every year to go wire to wire. And with the PWR that will always be an issue now. They can win these games but not against the iron this early in the season.
                      Oettinger made some of his best saves in the third to keep the score tied. (video)

                      UNH, which provided the recap for the HockeyEastOnline site, initially listed three stars of the game and none of them was Bowers. [That was later removed from the recap]. In addition to his two goals, Bowers screened the goalie on Krys's PP goal and he was 10 of 17 on faceoffs. That's the Bowers BU needs to be the straw this season.
                      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

                      Comment


                      • Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

                        Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                        Oettinger made some of his best saves in the third to keep the score tied. (video)

                        UNH, which provided the recap for the HockeyEastOnline site, initially listed three stars of the game and none of them was Bowers. [That was later removed from the recap]. In addition to his two goals, Bowers screened the goalie on Krys's PP goal and he was 10 of 17 on faceoffs. That's the Bowers BU needs to be the straw this season.
                        In the arena they announced Shane as the first star. Lots of mishaps in the UNH game production last night - they blasted their goal horn after BU's first goal, announced one of their goals as a penalty... My whole group who went commented how much of a depressing atmosphere the Whit has become.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                          In the arena they announced Shane as the first star. Lots of mishaps in the UNH game production last night - they blasted their goal horn after BU's first goal, announced one of their goals as a penalty... My whole group who went commented how much of a depressing atmosphere the Whit has become.
                          The goal horn was an embarrassment for sure but I thought the ‘Whitt was better in fan support then it has been in the past 5 years I’ve been going to games..that being said I’m sure when the ‘Cats were a top HE team thing were very different!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                            In the arena they announced Shane as the first star. Lots of mishaps in the UNH game production last night - they blasted their goal horn after BU's first goal, announced one of their goals as a penalty... My whole group who went commented how much of a depressing atmosphere the Whit has become.
                            Agreed, initially announcing UNH second goal as a penalty was pathetic. Must have been distracted on his smartphone, like those drivers at red lights many seconds after the light turns green.

                            Yup, The Whitt was renamed The Morgue several years ago. If it were not for our band and student section, there would be nearly zero noise.
                            Last edited by Snively65; 11-11-2018, 12:47 PM.

                            Comment


                            • Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

                              Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              Yup, The Whitt was renamed The Morgue several years ago. If it were not for our band and student section, there would be nearly zero noise.
                              So this is a little off the wall, but I don't like arenas where the seating areas are all dark. It was like that at the Verizon Center at the Frozen Four. When I look at Agganis, the seating areas are lit and the arena is "open" at the ends. Everything is well lit and bright. Same at say, TD Garden. But at the Whitt they only light the playing surface (unless that has changed since the last time I went). So if there isn't a lot of noise or excitement it just seems more depressing anyway.

                              Now don't take this out of context and interpret this as I'm saying that's the REASON for this. But it IS a contributing factor, IMO.

                              And, let's face it, Agganis is not exactly rocking either. It's almost as if we are so inundated with all kinds of sports at our fingertips that the anticipation and excitement with going to a live sporting event has become mundane and we only get "up" for the big games. Sort of like the Pats today...

                              Comment


                              • Re: BU Terriers 2018-19: Albie in Charge

                                Originally posted by chickod View Post
                                And with the PWR that will always be an issue now. They can win these games but not against the iron this early in the season.
                                This is nonsense. The PWR has been around since I've been watching college hockey in the early 1990s. The strength of HE over the past few seasons is the main issue. When HE was strong overall slow starting BU teams in years past were able to overcome so-so early OOC records by cleaning up in conference as the season progressed and earn high PWR rankings at NCAA selection time. Right now 7 of the 11 HE teams have PWR rankings 30 or below. Two are in the 20s. Only UMass is even in the top 10. The only options are for BU to take advantage of the OOC matchups scheduled or for HE to improve as a whole.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X