Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gopher Season 2018-19: The Motzko Era Begins!

Originally posted by state of hockey View Post
    I do. They are clicking right now. The Gophers clearly aren't. No chemistry.

Honestly, after the Mavs went up 3-1, things evened out a bit. The Gophers were battling for possession, coming back to check nicely, getting some opportunities. Then the Mavs scored early in the third and the Gophers folded.

It is still early. I don't think this goofy schedule only messed with the team, but with us too. Like I said, I just how they continually improve as the season goes.
    This is why I think Kato isn't 5-1 better. 4-2, 3-1, that sorta thing is where my head is at. We CAN play, it's a matter of keeping the energy up, or showing effort in the first place.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      This is why I think Kato isn't 5-1 better. 4-2, 3-1, that sorta thing is where my head is at. We CAN play, it's a matter of keeping the energy up, or showing effort in the first place.
      Effort is a weird thing to try and quantify. I highly doubt that they don't care and aren't trying. I think they aren't gelling and that makes things sluggish. They'll figure it out eventually.
      the state of hockey is good

Comment

Effort is a weird thing to try and quantify. I highly doubt that they don't care and aren't trying. I think they aren't gelling and that makes things sluggish. They'll figure it out eventually.
        It's sounding like once that 4th goal went in, the team quit. Gelling is a good word for one of the things we don't have. To use a reference to a crappy but fun movie, "The Replacements," I would say "quicksand" is another word worth looking into for this team.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Effort is a weird thing to try and quantify. I highly doubt that they don't care and aren't trying.
          Sadly, I'm coming to the realization that they are trying about as hard as they are prone to try. Unfortunately, for too many of them consistent effort and really trying is not in their DNA. And as you might expect there are too many breakdowns which come as a direct result of their lack of focus and intensity. Simply put, for each of the past two games they've been an easy team to play against. They are playing soft, and this has been most evident in the puck battles along the boards and in the corners. And even worse, tonight the lax play extended to directly in front of the net, close in where Mav players were left unimpeded for easy one-timer tap ins.

I think they aren't gelling and that makes things sluggish. They'll figure it out eventually.
          It's early and that is possible, but how long is eventually? Motzko has his work cut out for him, that's for sure.
          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

So what's the solution? Start bringing in Canadians?

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
              To paraphrase:

Motzko said there is a cuteness on this team that doesn't belong in hockey.

In other words (my words), they want to look good, and if they lose, meh. They look good. They don't want to look bad, even if they win. That has to change. And I think Motzko is gonna put a boot in the team's arse, and make that change.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                They already have one, the goalie that had five hung on him tonight. (I don't blame him, he didn't have much help.)

I agree with the cute thing. The Gophers over the last 10 years love to go for highlight reel plays. I'm just saying it will take some time to change that. The problem isn't being willing to dish out a hit, it's not being willing to get hit. Like I said earlier, I think they'll get it straightened out eventually.

As for when is eventually, I don't know. I don't have high expectations this season. I just want them to look a good amount better at the end than they do now.

Edit: Robson only gave up four. My bad.
                Last edited by state of hockey; 11-03-2018, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                  They are Lucia's guys. This is what happens when you hold onto a coach for multiple years too many.
                  That's what comes to mind. The damage appears to be faar worse than expected. Remember this is the same team that dropped lost 3 to Michigan, 3 to ND and dropped four straight to end last season.

Can we bench our seniors? Worst plus minus on the team:

Gates -4
                  Novak -4
                  Sheehy -3
                  Go Gophers!

Comment

They already have one, the goalie that had five hung on him tonight. (I don't blame him, he didn't have much help.)
                    Point of clarification: the 5th goal was on Schierhorn, not Robson. And it was a complete misplay on Schierhorn's part.
                    Of the four goals scored on Robson, only the first - when he didn't completely cover the near side next to the post - was on him. He had virtually no chance on Nos. 2, 3 & 4.
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Motzko said there is a cuteness on this team that doesn't belong in hockey.
                      I agree with the cute thing. The Gophers over the last 10 years love to go for highlight reel plays.
                      I don't think its a highlight reel thing. I just don't think they have the toughness to drive to the net under any circumstance. Too much Tommy Novak.
                      Go Gophers!

Comment

• Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
                        I don't think its a highlight reel thing. I just don't think they have the toughness to drive to the net under any circumstance. Too much Tommy Novak.
                        "Highlight reel" is probably the wrong way to describe it, I'll admit. They want a nice, clean, pretty passing play goal from just inside the circles. Like you mentioned, any closer and you might have to use some muscles.

Comment

"Highlight reel" is probably the wrong way to describe it, I'll admit. They want a nice, clean, pretty passing play goal from just inside the circles. Like you mentioned, any closer and you might have to use some muscles.
                          This. They want the tic-tac-toe crisp goal, instead of the Dino Ciccarelli special.

Comment

As for when is eventually, I don't know. I don't have high expectations this season. I just want them to look a good amount better at the end than they do now
                            Given the history of your program high expectations is the norm and no one comes and plays there without having those expectations. It's still early yet and last season around this time Michigan fans were having the same lamentations and look how far they ended up going. It may well turn around but we'll see.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                              Given the history of your program high expectations is the norm and no one comes and plays there without having those expectations
                              Great. I'll go ahead and let everyone else have those high expectations. Are you saying that someone can't be level-headed about this? "Either your team wins or you should be freaking out!"

Comment

Are you saying that someone can't be level-headed about this? "Either your team wins or you should be freaking out!"
                                Not at all. Only suggesting that's it's still early enough in the season to not be overly worried. Every team has ups & downs but some programs aren't as used to the downs as others.

Comment

Working...
                                X