No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    With Colgate done for the season, I am headed to Dartmouth at Harvard on Friday, and Boston University at UMass Lowell on Saturday, to log in rinks numbers 96 and 97, respectively, for me. Will I see many Dartmouth fans there on Friday night?
    Hey Iowa, again you are the BEST fan! Being only a little over 2 hour drive, Bright's location makes it easier for BG road warriors. There is also a strong BG alumni association in Boston so with these factors included YES you should see many BG fans at the game(s)!

Comment

• Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

A huge BG congrats to Adrian Clark, Connor Yau, and Drew O' Connor on their recognition; it is well earned and deserved as it reflects the status of the team!

https://dartmouthsports.com/news/201...ue-honors.aspx

Comment

Personally, I think Rookie of the Year should have gone to O'Connor as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
          Thanks Kep! 100% spot on...that's why in a series (not one game) the better team generally wins. As to Harvard, this will be second year in a row BG will be facing them at Bright in the quarters with last year taking the first and losing the next two. However, it is my belief that the gap between the two has tightened thanks to Donato moving on. He single handedly beat BG last year. Make know mistake, Harvard is still very talented with all- offensive world Fox but missing Donato will hurt them. Like I always preached, Harvard is the school that BG emulates based on its winning culture and tradition.
          We've had an entire season to get over the loss of Donato so that excuse won't hold up. Drury, Rathbone, Dornbach and lately Gregoire have really started to come on and develop. As Bothman points out and I agree, they are more well-rounded and have the #2 PP in the country. If Gornet holds up and plays steady, we should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            We've had an entire season to get over the loss of Donato so that excuse won't hold up. Drury, Rathbone, Dornbach and lately Gregoire have really started to come on and develop. As Bothman points out and I agree, they are more well-rounded and have the #2 PP in the country. If Gornet holds up and plays steady, we should be fine.
            I think your team is more formidable for exactly that reason: lots of players chipping in and one guy isn't shouldering a high percentage of the offensive load.

Only thing I see is a 30% of your offense is on the PP, but then again, I looked this up: Harvard beat Dartmouth when they went 0-for-3 on the PP and lost when they scored 5 PPG on 7 chances.

I never know what to expect with Dartmouth, but I do think this will likely go 3. I'd lean a little on Harvard's side if I had to pick a winner, but I don't have to, so I won't!

Comment

It's Game Day/Weekend in the Q's vs arch nemesis and travel partner Harvard. They split the two meetings with BG winning in OT and losing 4-1 although one can make an argument it was much closer than that; doesn't make a difference as a loss is a loss. Can the BG build on the last game vs ST L? Or are they still the "which team will show up" version? Also IF they are healthy and fully recovered, this may prove as an advantage in maintaining normalcy in scheduling/traveling/preparing for games as it another weekend of games. Like I have always said, Harvard is the one that BG would like to emulate as far as culture and winning tradition! BG has closed the hockey gap despite being far less talented on paper; and that is certainly no disrespect or knock on the current or past rosters because BG has been improving in many aspects. Want proof...just look at the NHL draft choices that Harvard recruits and gets! Individuals do NOT make a team, players that buy in DO!
              It is my belief based on pure optics (no advanced metrics) that this series will go the distance. Who wins, not sure but no doubt i am rooting for the BG!
              Let's GOOOO BG!!!

Keys to Lake Placid:

Clark has to better than his opposition in at least two games and he has been very good
              Stay out of the box as Harvard can and will torch you on their PP; last couple of games BG has taken some lazy O zone and neutral zone penalties
              BG has been playing playoff hockey for the last two months, tighter to the vest and better D structure as shown by low Shots Against and more importantly lower GA
              Forecheck the hell out of the Harvard's D in their zone will lead to "juicy" turnovers as has been shown many times; they play loose back there
              Tree Line must be in the plus column while Graber must show the way
              Entire D core must defend well in D zone with closer mark ups; shots given up must be "one and done" with successful out of zone clearances
              I would even man-up on Fox and take the puck out of his hands and let the others beat you
              Classic case of better skill vs will; the WILL part has to be won by BG!

Here are the keys

Comment

Well you guys played great for the first 30 minutes. That 2-3 matchup neutral zone trap Gaudet threw at us really had us confused and frustrated. For a while it had Adam Fox tied into knots. We didn't show up until you guys scored and then the ice started to tilt in our favor. Not one of our better efforts but the Green had a lot to do with that. You have more speed up front than I've seen in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                  Well you guys played great for the first 30 minutes. That 2-3 matchup neutral zone trap Gaudet threw at us really had us confused and frustrated. For a while it had Adam Fox tied into knots. We didn't show up until you guys scored and then the ice started to tilt in our favor. Not one of our better efforts but the Green had a lot to do with that. You have more speed up front than I've seen in a long time.
                  Thanks Skate! BG still cannot get over that hump, called Harvard! Its do or die tonight! Good Luck!

Comment

The stars were aligned for BG to steal the first game as for many parts of the game, it played out to BG's favor but they still end up losing to a very proud Harvard team 3-1 with an EN. BG was the better team in first period with many Grade A scoring chances only to be stoned by Gornet who played very well. Many of those came as a result of as previously mentioned, turnovers in the D zone by Harvard's D core and even forwards coming back deep. You name it, Fox, Marino, Walsh, and Rathbone, and forwards. Yau trickles and shot from the point through and Forman alone at the doorstep gets the rebound and goes backhand/forehand which Gornet left pad saves. IF Forman gets that puck up, its a goal! Shortly thereafter, Harvard coughs up the puck leading to an O'Connor and Forman (BG's leading goal scorers) 2 on 0 between the circles high slot and in. Puck is on O'Connor's forehand looking at Forman the whole way slightly diagonal to his right right going to the net. Instead of shooting he passes to Forman who by now is in too tight and gets stoned. Great read by Gornet. Bg had a couple of others centering passes to a hard driving to the net teammate which did not connect. it ends in zeros after one.
                    Not to be deterred BG gets a greasy goal with Strong winning a board battle against Rathbone and goes to the net laterally across the crease to his forehand to get bumped by Floostrand who was coming straight down the slot. The bump puts Gornet in the back of the net and out of the play and Blankemeir cleans up for a goal. The call is no goal by the ref behind the goal but there is no way he has the sight line to see the bump. Play gets a lengthy review and call is reversed for a good goal. Right call here. The Harvard comes turns on the heat with extended zone time as Matthews is unable to change. Puck is rimmed to Jasiek all by himself and he fails to clear the zone and sure enough ZG beats Hesler and shot/pass that hits Matthews on his right skate and in for a goal. So we have a 1-1 game with both goalies playing well and not their fault on goals given up. At this point Harvard has the better of the play but nothing really dangerous.
                    Harvard continues it pressure in the third with a couple of PP's which BG kills; great adjustment by BG after getting tourched for 5 given up early in the season. Then O'Connor has the puck in the D zone and instead of going to a wide open D man he forces a indirect pass of the boards in the neutral with Foz reading it and stepping up with possession and speed leading to a 2 on 1. Fox works a beautiful give and go with Kerfoot and bangs home a goal for a 2-1 lead with about 10 minutes to go. The game stays like this until a O zone draw for BG late in the game. The pucks squirts out to an incoming, open, and ready to blast Yau on top of the left circle. He has an open net and just as he is about pull the trigger Floodstrand dives and pokes the puck free. There is no doubt that with traffic in front and and open net, Yau bags that one but no with a great desperate play by Floodstrand. Then a EN! This game can be labeled for BG...MISOPPORTUNITIES, especially in scoreless first period! Come on BG, bounce back like a rubber band!

Comment

Well the BG season comes crashing to an end as they lose in OT to Harvard. Make no mistake that the gap has definitely closed between the two travel partners but the outcome remains the same...Harvard winning by virtues of being slightly better. Let's roll the videotape. BG jumps out to q quick 2-0 lead in the first two minutes of puck drop and POSSIBLY had Harvard on the ropes. BG wins a O zone FO and with Blankemeir touching back to the point which Demler (opposite points) goes from right to left on forehand and just puts a harmless put on net that goes in. Then shortly thereafter, Tree Line works it down low and O'Connor finishes off a Graber rebound to a shell-shocked Harvard squad. Not sure of the timing of the next two sequences as to which occurred first but they are key and both involve O'Connor. He takes an either O or neutral zone penalty away from the play (cameras did not follow/show it). Of course, Harvard scores as Hesler fails to get in front of Fox (assuming that was their game plan..to make Fox get rid of the puck) and Fox gets the shot through a maze of players. Nothing Clark can do outside of guessing and getting "big" in net. Now the other play involving O'Connor is that he is all alone in the slot and goes forehand/backhand to be stoned by Gornet. Now Harvard has found its skating legs and mojo.

Now early in second Harvard getting the better of the play, Floodstrand finds the put in the high slot and turns around and puts the puck on net that surprises Clark as it gets plenty of net. Then Grabers goes off for a trip then on the ensuing FO or close to it Sellars gets sent off (no camera shot) for a high stick, leading toalmost a full 2 minute 5 on 3 PP. BG does very well in weathering the storm until Walsh scores with a bout 10 seconds remaining on the first penalty. It is my belief that Clark should have saved that one. A two goal lead has now BG trailing 3-2. However BG didn't they cash in on their PP with Yau going deep with the puck and passes through the slot to open Forman who one-times the puck in for a beautiful goal. Then shortly thereafter BG apparently goes ahead but is waved off. I am 50/50 on this play. Last night I was 100% it was a good goal.

The third period was uneventful as both teams were sparring, conservatively playing to not make mistakes and having their guys on the right side of the puck.

It takes us to OT which Harvard jumps on and dominates with Yau/Matthews on for the entires over two minutes and Kilistoff line barley makes a change. Now comes one of the plays of the game. Strong has the puck just over the red line. Instead of getting the puck deep to complete a line change, meaning Yau/Matthews, he inexplicably tries to pass it inside and it comes back the other way with a dead tired Yau/Matthews. Matthews gets beat deep behind the goalline by a righty Krusko and Yau tying up with his man, leaving Krusko with Clark for a wrap around which I think goes through 5 hole as Clark goes from his left to right. In retrospect, Clark could have poked checked or better challenge him as he was the only player open and unaccounted for. Game and season over just like that! Stay tuned for more!

Comment

As I said in my post over on the Harvard thread, you guys deserved to win this series. You outcoached us, outhustled us and generally had a much better scheme and better chances to score. Really impressed with your speed and puck movement. Bodes well for the future.

About the disallowed goal. I'm of two minds on this one. First, as soon as I saw McDonald go over to review the play, I knew he was going to reverse it. There should have been no question that the goal was good but by going over, I knew he would find something. Sure enough he did. However you guys got the benefit of a reversal the night before so as I said in my post on the Harvard thread, what the hockey Gods giveth, they also taketh away. The timing of this reversal in hindsight probably cost you the chance to play Game Three. We'll never know.

One last thing. I'm getting tired of Gaudet screaming about every little call that doesn't go his way. Cripes, the game is slow enough with TV timeouts, pucks getting shot out of play and icings. Give it a rest. He comes off like a whinny little schoolgirl who doesn't get her way. Yes he had a gripe about the reversal but again, he got the benefit the night before. That's sports and he should know that by now.

Oh well, have a great summer. You still have some of the most beautiful scenery this country has to offer. Small consolation but it's something right?

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
                          As I said in my post over on the Harvard thread, you guys deserved to win this series. You outcoached us, outhustled us and generally had a much better scheme and better chances to score. Really impressed with your speed and puck movement. Bodes well for the future.

About the disallowed goal. I'm of two minds on this one. First, as soon as I saw McDonald go over to review the play, I knew he was going to reverse it. There should have been no question that the goal was good but by going over, I knew he would find something. Sure enough he did. However you guys got the benefit of a reversal the night before so as I said in my post on the Harvard thread, what the hockey Gods giveth, they also taketh away. The timing of this reversal in hindsight probably cost you the chance to play Game Three. We'll never know.

One last thing. I'm getting tired of Gaudet screaming about every little call that doesn't go his way. Cripes, the game is slow enough with TV timeouts, pucks getting shot out of play and icings. Give it a rest. He comes off like a whinny little schoolgirl who doesn't get her way. Yes he had a gripe about the reversal but again, he got the benefit the night before. That's sports and he should know that by now.

Oh well, have a great summer. You still have some of the most beautiful scenery this country has to offer. Small consolation but it's something right?
                          Thanks for the kind words from a good hockey mind! Like you said, sometimes you get the calls while other you don’t and I am perfectly fine with that. Yeah Coach Gaudet does like to harp a bit!

Good luck next weekend and hopefully in the big “Dance”. You guys should be fine if these two areas are worked out: some forced and some unforced turnovers in your D zone and while Gornet was good against us, he can be beat by moving the puck side to side as he overcommits and flails in there.

Comment

Again no representation from the BG in the All ECAC teams with two players coming to mind which one being so obvious he was missed. And this is Freshman Drew O Connor not even included in the All- Rookie. All he did was score 17 goals on a team challenged to score goals. I guarantee if you ask all the coaches if they would want his production on their team, it would be unanimous.
                            Also you cam make a case for Sr D man Connor Yau being on the 3rd team. All he did was finish in the top 5 in scoring on his team but also getting a team high +10 which is by far the most on a scoring-challenged team. He played played the most minutes of any D man while Q bing the #1 PP unit, part of two pair unit on the PK, and ES adding sorely needed offensive punch from the back end.

It is stil the little boys club of teams that finish in the top 4 will get most of the players, unless you were a standout in this and/past seasons. It’s the lazy way out for selections with not too much deep and critical thinking.

Comment

A HUGE BG congrats to Quinnipiac, Cornell, Clarkson, and Harvard! Now go ahead and represent the ECAC proudly! Good Luck at the big Dance!

Comment

Working...
                              X