No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Originally posted by backwater View Post
    I worry about the outlook for Ferguson. I was at the U-18 game and the Princeton shellacking. Whatever his skill level is - any more of this won't help his mental state.
    With a line like his (9.19 GAA, .688 SVP) I can't imagine that he wouldn't have the yips coming into any game right now, no matter how mentally tough of a kid he might be.

I'd like to see them give him one more shot against Bentley and see if he can get some confidence. The game means little in big picture. I doubt he'd play much in the ECAC stretch run anyway but it'd be nice to have him have a little success going in to that run just in case, God forbid, Clark gets hurt.

Comment

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
      With a line like his (9.19 GAA, .688 SVP) I can't imagine that he wouldn't have the yips coming into any game right now, no matter how mentally tough of a kid he might be.

I'd like to see them give him one more shot against Bentley and see if he can get some confidence. The game means little in big picture. I doubt he'd play much in the ECAC stretch run anyway but it'd be nice to have him have a little success going in to that run just in case, God forbid, Clark gets hurt.
      Agreed. Consistency of goal tending was a big question mark entering the season, and now that we see the drop off if Clark goes down, I hope Bob has a line on a recruit for next year. I do appreciate what he's up against in recruiting up here.

Comment

Agreed. Consistency of goal tending was a big question mark entering the season, and now that we see the drop off if Clark goes down, I hope Bob has a line on a recruit for next year. I do appreciate what he's up against in recruiting up here.
        Deerfield goalie Thomas Gale is a commit set to come to Hanover next year. Canadian kid, Quebec-league draftee who went the prep/college route rather than play Major Junior.

Comment

I worry about the outlook for Ferguson. I was at the U-18 game and the Princeton shellacking. Whatever his skill level is - any more of this won't help his mental state.
          Welcome to the BG board as we direly need some more posters; it's get kind of old and stale from GreenBear and my perspective!

Comment

100% agreed with both of you! BG certainly needs a capable back up, if not Ferguson why not give Shatzer a chance. However, I do think that Ferguson at bare minimum deserves another chance this year. When I am not quite so sure as way too many variables contributes to that decision. While Clark is clearly better than above, he still has consistency issues and tends to let in a "bad" goal every so often.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
              Got to see Joey Musa play yesterday. Listed at 5’9”....160, that’s about right. He can skate, very quick hands & very skilled you can see that. He didn’t score, unless he had the 2nd assist on their lone goal (1-1 tie w/Albany Academy). Got 7 games in Nov. with Omaha of the USHL (scoreless). He’s not ready, IMO, for D1 next year. BTW, I see LeSeaur hasn’t played yet. Is he injured or a healthy scratch?
              Hey turk181! What can you tell me about this goalie? Deerfield goalie Thomas Gale is a commit set to come to Hanover next year. Canadian kid, Quebec-league draftee who went the prep/college route rather than play Major Junior. Thanks as usual!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                Hey turk181! What can you tell me about this goalie? Deerfield goalie Thomas Gale is a commit set to come to Hanover next year. Canadian kid, Quebec-league draftee who went the prep/college route rather than play Major Junior. Thanks as usual!
                Great kid, great family. Gale should do quite well for the Big Green. Currently leading Deerfield to a 4-0 record and #3 ranking in NE prep. It will be interesting to see how Gale & Co. does at the Flood-Marr. Recall he led DA to a surprise Flood-Marr win 2 seasons ago.

As for Ferguson, I'm also familiar with his game and think he just needs a bit of time to settle in. The few times I've seen him struggle, he's always come back strong.

Comment

100% agreed with both of you! BG certainly needs a capable back up, if not Ferguson why not give Shatzer a chance. However, I do think that Ferguson at bare minimum deserves another chance this year. When I am not quite so sure as way too many variables contributes to that decision. While Clark is clearly better than above, he still has consistency issues and tends to let in a "bad" goal every so often.
                  Personally, I think Clark has been very good overall and has been one of the team's strengths in the early going. We disagree I think on his play to this point, but maybe only slightly.

The rest I totally agree with: I don't think anyone took my earlier post to be down on Ferguson, and I hope not, as I'm not down on him at all--not in the big picture. He's had a rough start, but as of now that's all it's been. I casually follow the womens team as I knew of a couple of players from the Greater Toronto Area--Christie Honor had a very rough start as a freshman in her first couple of games with the womens team, and she's turned into a very good NCAA D-1 goaltender--that team doesn't win much, but it's not been due to bad goaltending. Ferguson could well be the same. I'm definitely not ready to give up on him, just that at this point, it'd be difficult even if a player has titanium-like mental toughness, to not be impacted by their first 2 games. Bentley is the perfect start: nothing against the Falcons, who did after all beat Dartmouth last year, but if worst case scenario happens again (a UNH like start), a Dartmouth loss doesn't impact what they're really playing for, which is points in the ECAC. It's not like the Big Green are likely to be on the short list of bubble teams for an at-large tourney bid--the Big Green's postseason is the ECAC tourney, and anything after that would be brought about by winning that. Bentley doesn't factor into the equation, so I hope the coaching staff gives Ferguson another shot.
                  Last edited by GreenBear; 12-11-2018, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Personally, I think Clark has been very good overall and has been one of the team's strengths in the early going. We disagree I think on his play to this point, but maybe only slightly.

The rest I totally agree with: I don't think anyone took my earlier post to be down on Ferguson, and I hope not, as I'm not down on him at all--not in the big picture. He's had a rough start, but as of now that's all it's been. I casually follow the womens team as I knew of a couple of players from the Greater Toronto Area--Christie Honor had a very rough start as a freshman in her first couple of games with the womens team, and she's turned into a very good NCAA D-1 goaltender--that team doesn't win much, but it's not been due to bad goaltending. Ferguson could well be the same. I'm definitely not ready to give up on him, just that at this point, it'd be difficult even if a player has titanium-like mental toughness, to not be impacted by their first 2 games. Bentley is the perfect start: nothing against the Falcons, who did after all beat Dartmouth last year, but if worst case scenario happens again (a UNH like start), a Dartmouth loss doesn't impact what they're really playing for, which is points in the ECAC. It's not like the Big Green are likely to be on the short list of bubble teams for an at-large tourney bid--the Big Green's postseason is the ECAC tourney, and anything after that would be brought about by winning that. Bentley doesn't factor into the equation, so I hope the coaching staff gives Ferguson another shot.
                    I am with you, GreenBear with Clark; if he can just cut out that "bad" goal!

I truly do hope that Ferguson rights the ship as you aptly gave a nice perspective on freshman goalies; it is a very difficult transition from Juniors or wherever they came from. Righting the ship requires a fiduciary relationship with staff based on trust and communication! If we are playing well leading up to Bentley and Clark needs a break and yes that would be an opportune time for Ferguson to get back on the saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHockeyMom View Post
                      Great kid, great family. Gale should do quite well for the Big Green. Currently leading Deerfield to a 4-0 record and #3 ranking in NE prep. It will be interesting to see how Gale & Co. does at the Flood-Marr. Recall he led DA to a surprise Flood-Marr win 2 seasons ago.

As for Ferguson, I'm also familiar with his game and think he just needs a bit of time to settle in. The few times I've seen him struggle, he's always come back strong.
                      It is always great to get some background information on players as it provides a greater perspective on them. Thanks!

Comment

Sorry BG but while I’m familiar with the name I’ve never seen him play or talked with anyone who has. That’s a huge step for a goalie, most players really, to go from Prep hockey to D1. In my last Post about Joey Musa I should’ve noted he has a younger brother on the Team, Jack. Kid is 14 & small but man, kid gets in there. Played in all situations (PP, PK). Pretty impressive considering his age & size.
                        Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Welcome to the BG board as we direly need some more posters; it's get kind of old and stale from GreenBear and my perspective!
                          Well, thanks - I'll be around sporadically. I have season tickets, but I work 12 hr. shifts and every other Sat & Sun - this year the schedule hasn't cooperated in coinciding too much, although I can usually catch the last half of home games on the Saturdays I have to work if I'm not totally fried.

I will say my favorite game this season has been the Harvard win - I was jumping around and high-fiving total strangers. It was a great start to the season.
                          Last edited by backwater; 12-12-2018, 09:27 PM.

Comment

It's Game Day as the BG travels to BU for the last game prior to Holiday Break. BU is struggling this year, relative to BU of the past but they almost always get top recruits. BG has established a pattern of playing up to good teams on paper and playing down to not so good teams on paper (with all due respect) and that's why I stated on paper.

Keys to the game:

Clark has got to outplay the BU goalie or bare minimum be equal
                            BU generally has big and fast guys so calling all Tree Line to negate and do some damage themselves and get off their mini slide
                            Bottom 6 needs to be equal and any pluses in a bonus
                            D has to play simple and minimize dangerous area turnovers; Team D will be huge
                            Finally get a huge BG W and feel good going into Holiday Break

Goooooooo BIG GREEN!

Comment

The good news is that there is a break in the action for the BG as they are simply not playing well and do not look good. It seems to me that they have very jump in their legs and more importantly in the heads. And this go for the entire team!

Key points:

On the first goal given up, Yau and Less (welcome back and to be expected rusty) could not clear the zone and O'Connor allows his right D man to step down and back door him for a goal. Now Clark saw him the whole way he did not have any options but to come down on the right side but this D man goes forehand backhand and beats Clark. Yes, it was a semi break away circle in, but if Clark wants to considered very good he needs to make that save. His opposition, Oettinger on the other hand, made those same saves and even more difficult ones (O'Connor, Hesler, O'Connor again on an open net). I know I am being picky here, GreenBear as we have slightly different opinions on Clark. He is still clearly better than the other two. Getting back to the goal, O'Connor is caught puck watching and his man beats him and Clark. I know he has been scoring but assignments and details is what counts. On the second goal, Harper goes around on the outside I believe is Han and beats Clark (although one could say it was not kicked in but guided in with Harper's right skate blade. Was it intentional absolutely? Nevertheless, it a goal so let's move on. On the third goal, after mounting a furious attack for the would be tying goal BU comes down on a 2 on 1 (righty and lefty on their off wings;this is key) with Demler back. Demler allows the lefty to pass across for the righty who has opened up and square to the net, for a beautiful one-timer goal. Demler just cannot let that pass come across as he has the passee and Clark has the passer and shooter. I am surprised that Clark did not pull a groin. Very simple right, NO. This is what is getting scary, some BG players (I will call repeat offenders) are not playing their "keys" and thus are not playing smart. It is hard enough to beat an opponent but why give them any help like with O'Connor and Demler. At this level and way higher, it is mostly the "hockey smarts" that will players on to the next level.

The Tree Line needs some fertilizer and revitalization. They are not playing well. Their leader Graber has slipped, Sellar is nowhere close to where he was last year, and Foreman's poor puck decisions and lack of play-making stalls on what should be a grade A scoring opportunities. Also he needs to win more puck/board battles; he loses them too easily for his size.

Freshmen hitting that proverbial wall as O'Connor , Losurdo, and Markell are nowhere where they were at the beginning of the season. It should be a nice progression upward.

PP is still in a funk although entries and scoring chances were better as they inserted Yau on the first unit to QB it. Graber had most of his shots blocked from the right point/circle. I still say put Graber (righty) on the left half wall, Baker (righty) down low for stuff shots or pass to Sellar (lefty) in the high slot or through the box/diamond to O'Connor on the right half wall. Between Graber and Yau playing catch, they not only are the best offensive decision and play-makers but they see plays the other BG players don't. Also entries would be better and cleaner.

Oh, I hated to write this post but it was dearly needed and if I wasn't so "into" it, you probably would only get a quick generalization blurb which any fan can write. Besides they are only two loyal BG posters, me and GreenBear.

So BG take a load off and re-group, re-energize, and re-focus as this break is very timely. And come back with a vengeance! Go BG!

Comment

From a Bu perspective I thought Dartmouth outplayed BU for most of game and Oettinger kept BU in game
                                BU was without 3 of top 4 players including top two center ice men which was a big loss
                                Both teams needed to have better power plays
                                Disappointing year for both teams

Comment

Working...
                                X