No announcement yet.

Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

It's Game Day/Weekend for the BG as they hit hit the road for the first time; this can be a good thing as they bond and build on that chemistry on and off the ice. BG plays Brown tonight which probably promises to be a tight scoring game. If they play like the 1 period before the penalties against Princeton and the whole game vs Q, they should be alright. This team is deep for the first time in awhile and now they have to prove across all 4 lines scoring and defending and 3 pairs defending and supporting the F's. Goaltending needs to be more consistent! Go BIG GREEN!

Comment

Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
      It's Game Day/Weekend for the BG as they hit hit the road for the first time; this can be a good thing as they bond and build on that chemistry on and off the ice. BG plays Brown tonight which probably promises to be a tight scoring game. If they play like the 1 period before the penalties against Princeton and the whole game vs Q, they should be alright. This team is deep for the first time in awhile and now they have to prove across all 4 lines scoring and defending and 3 pairs defending and supporting the F's. Goaltending needs to be more consistent! Go BIG GREEN!
      I couldn't watch so I listened to the game for a while on radio and watched the highlights afterwards. My completely "didn't see the game so I'm filling in the blanks" feeling is that it was the opposite of what you posted. The goaltending seemed consistent, and on the highlights the only "woulda coulda shoulda" goal seems to be the 3rd one. I just have the feeling that the Green were outworked and outskated--they didn't seem to have that many chances, even on the power play which had been so good. Maybe it's the building; heard a stat that said that the Graber goal was first in something like 90 mins there. Crema got the last one so it has to have been a while.

Team seems to do nicely bouncing back so we'll see about tonight. I didn't look at the box score yet to see the lineup; I think I heard Sam Hesler mentioned but I may not have been paying close attention and didn't. (EDIT: Sam Hesler did play; my boy Cam Strong who I mentioned last weekend I had hoped to see was out of the lineup again.)
      Last edited by GreenBear; 11-10-2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
        I couldn't watch so I listened to the game for a while on radio and watched the highlights afterwards. My completely "didn't see the game so I'm filling in the blanks" feeling is that it was the opposite of what you posted. The goaltending seemed consistent, and on the highlights the only "woulda coulda shoulda" goal seems to be the 3rd one. I just have the feeling that the Green were outworked and outskated--they didn't seem to have that many chances, even on the power play which had been so good. Maybe it's the building; heard a stat that said that the Graber goal was first in something like 90 mins there. Crema got the last one so it has to have been a while.

Team seems to do nicely bouncing back so we'll see about tonight. I didn't look at the box score yet to see the lineup; I think I heard Sam Hesler mentioned but I may not have been paying close attention and didn't.
        Brown fan chiming in – seemed to me like Dartmouth was the victim of playing a hot goaltender more than anything else. Nieto made a handful of really spectacular saves to keep us ahead in the game, and he saved our bacon three times VERY early in the first. If one of those goes in, it’s a totally different game.

Overall, I thought the teams were pretty evenly matched (the shot ratio tells the same story). Dartmouth wasn’t able to capitalize on six power plays, which was surprising to me. Brown had a lot of zone time but often couldn’t penetrate the Dartmouth defense to get quality scoring chances. If this is last year’s Brown team and the game plays out the same way, I think Dartmouth wins it by two or three. But we seem to be a rejuvenated defensive team and have been bailed out by great goaltending.

Comment

Team seems to do nicely bouncing back so we'll see about tonight. I didn't look at the box score yet to see the lineup; I think I heard Sam Hesler mentioned but I may not have been paying close attention and didn't.
          BG laid an egg... no sense of urgency or inspiration and that's clearly on them! Were they looking past Brown, I hope NOT as Brown has always played them well and tight.

Things to work and improve on:

Consistent goaltending as Clark let in two from the blue line (those are labeled are deflaters), not sure of screen or not
          Calling all lines 2-4 to support Tree Line, especially C Hesler's line and Baker and Rutherford
          Not faulting Michalowski (untrained D) but is he better than Han at D; either way need Less back in the worse way
          Lost coverage in D zone especially in the "house area"; too many Brown players wide open; too much chasing and cheating by the D's
          For some reason PP was brutal last night, starting with the entries; I would rather have Graber on the right half boards

Very interesting line up changes and yes Sam Hesler was in and acquitted himself well although he was knocked off the puck a couple of times in board battles (only a freshman with a freshman body); he almost scored a 2 on 1 , even maybe a 3 on 1 with a late trailer and to compound that Blankemeir could not bang home the rebound in the open net.

Let's regroup and be razor sharp and focused from the opening puck drop (actually pre-game) to the team line handshakes! Like last week, bounce back for the BG!

Comment

A very big call late in the game and this is my take. Clearly Sellar and Nieto were tangled up and this led to Nieto not getting enough time to "fully" set up on the would be shot/goal. Also the ref was in great position to signal NO GOAL right away having watched the tangle. No one is disputing that but here is where it gets fuzzy for me. Sellar was cross-checked into Nieto by two Brown players into Nieto from which his stick gets lodged up in Nieto's goalie jersey. Sellar did not put in there on purpose, matter of fact, he tried to extricate his stick not knowing where the on-going play was. Once dislodged, Nieto sets quickly and does the butterfly to no avail as Rutherford goes blocker side to score. To the refs credit, they did review and confer with each other. This would have tied the game with momentum on the BG side. THIS DID NOT COST THE BG THE GAME; they were their own worst enemy for the first 50 minutes.

Also after this, BG has a chance to tie the game again in the last minute with Yau making a backhand pass to Foreman point blank to have Nieto save that and the game. Finally and immediately right afterwards, a D man backhand cleared puck slow as molasses goes into the empty net 200 ft down.

Comment

Sometimes things just do not workout the way they were planned as BG salvages a split by being Yale last night after losing to Brown the night before. Both of these games very very evenly matched and featured great goaltending. BG was able to capitalize on a Yale turnover at their blueline with O'Connor staying wide and feeding Hesler going hard to the net for a nice deflection goal. For the first half of the game, the Yale D were coughing up beyond juicy turnovers in their own zone but thanks to Tucker it could have been a 3-0 game after two periods as Tucker featured a great glove. Why BG keeps shooting there is beyond me as they should learn in game, student of the game. It was not like the shooter were pressured because most of these came with odd man advantages such as 2 on 1, 3 on 2, and 3 on 1 but no finish. Then Yale came on and had more of the play in the second half of the game, featuring nice saves by Clark, post puck luck, and nice sticks by the D.

The GOOD:

BG held onto to 1-0 lead for about 55 minutes which will bode well for the future
              Clark was staunch in net
              Hesler's line created and made plays
              Graber can beat most 1 on 1 and still finish and/or create
              Better and cleaner coverage in D zone compared to night before

Key Learnings to Improve:

Better job clearing puck out of zone from both D and F's
              Easy turnovers when protecting lead like Losurdo's
              Half wall board battles needs to be better especially in this type of game
              Recognition and usage of 3F in odd man breaks like 3 on 2's or 3 on 1's
              Michalowski needs to go back to being s forward (maybe placeholder until Less gets back); either way does not bode well for Han
              MIA Warpecha, Blankemeir, Jasiek
              Freshman's forward O'Connor cannot skate through 2-3 D's waiting for you at the blueline leading to turnovers
              Freshman's forward Losurdo very uneven play, needs to more consistent and so wildly up and down

Overall, nice weekend split and bounce back after terrible loss to Brown! Goooo BG!

Comment

Well, I believe it is study time as the BG traditionally has this time frame off as they prepare for finals! That said, nothing better relieves stress and a good study break than getting on the ice and practicing. So while there are not games to be played, let's hope the BG is using this practice time wisely to work to improve and/or tweak certain issues:

Work on PK although getting lid up by Harvard had a lot to do with Fox as QB
                Work on entries on the PP; would also like to see some slot action shots in addition to net front presence and potential tip in
                Have a feeling the bottom 6 rotation will be on going; let's hope guys are ready to seize an opportunity
                Hopefully D man Less is getting better because he would absolutely solidify back end; also he is coveted righty especially on PK
                Clark...carpe diem enough said in goal

Comment

A BIG GREEN congrats to ECAC teams on the nice results from last night's game as I sit on the bench!

Since there is time to kill, let's have some fun of it in projecting lines/ based on performance thus far in the young season:

Tree Line of Sellar/Graber/Forman; Graber has been good, Sellar uneven, and Forman produces on the score sheet
                  O'Connor/Hesler/Losurdo; O'Connor can get up and down with good skills, Hesler is Hesler although could be better at the dot, and Losurdo up/down
                  Rutherford/Kilistoff/Baker; Rutherford and Baker has much more to offer than shown this far while you know what you are going to get from Kilistoff
                  Jasiek/Ernsting/Michalowski; Jasiek needs to get his skill game together, Ernsting needs more TOI to make things happen, and Mich. back to forward
                  Warpecha, Blankemeir, and Strong needs to show more; S Hesler limited viewing and so is LeSueur

Probably tomorrow will be the D pairings!

Thoughts GreenBear???

Comment

What's going on with Princeton and also where are their poster/followers? Or is it that they just have the BG's number?

Anyways as promised, here are the D pairing based on performance thus far:

Yau/Matthews: Yau is playing some of his best hockey though should shoot more on PP; Matthews still finding himself but so far so good
                    Demler/Markell: Demler nice stay at home physical presence, gets in trouble when not playing simple; Markell is a really nice stable RIGHTY addition and doing as well as a freshman
                    Roth/Michalowski/Han: Roth has been OK although lots of play in his own zone; cannot fault Michalowski as he is not a trained D man as it shows on changes and puck management although has acquitted himself OK; Han is buried on bench when Michalowski has more TOI than him with good O instincts but also plays in own zone

Thoughts GreenBear???

Comment

It's Game Day vs bordering state Vermont! This has always been pretty much a tight game. We will see how the week lay-off rest/rust did for the BG. I think they will be chomping at the bit and ready to get after it; first 10 minutes of the game might be a little rough and shaky but the BG will get their legs and get after it. We will see what the BG worked on for the past two weeks, hopefully they are some of the issues as pointed out earlier. Gooooo BIG GREEN!

Comment

Well, we talk about rest/rust and last night's outcome certainly answered that as they lost 5-3 to Vermont. They looked slow and sluggish coupled with very questionable decision-making! They nothing away and with all due respect from Vermont as they deserved to win but this was handed to them. The mistakes were plenty on each goal given up: mix-up in D zone coverage, loss of puck battle in neutral zone, goalie not coming out far enough to take angle away when nothing was on the backside, D men watching and not marking up by the "house", and back checkers stopped skating and poor read by D. The good news is that these are all correctable!

The BAD:

The Tree Line was horrible but to be fair they cannot carry the team each night; someone else please step up
                        Goalie was suspect and outplayed by the opposition's goalie
                        It is becoming clearer that BG can only count on a couple of D men in the D zone; they need Less back in the worse way
                        Bottom 6 non-existent and not even close to being dangerous and one can say almost a liability in D zone

The GOOD:

The freshmen F's of O'Connor and Losurdo sparks energy and finishing abilities
                        Yau/Matthews are not only the best offensive D pair but also the best D zone pair, arguably
                        Turn the page and forget about this one and move on!

Comment

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
                          It is becoming clearer that BG can only count on a couple of D men in the D zone; they need Less back in the worse way
                          I didn't see the game last night and was in my car for bits and pieces, so I only caught some on the radio. Therefore I have no comments on the game outside of "yuck", and "that was one I expected Dartmouth to win", but I did hear on the broadcast that Less has been skating. No idea what that means for when he'll be back but at least that means he's moving toward being back in the lineup. I agree--they need him back there.
                          Last edited by GreenBear; 11-25-2018, 12:20 PM.

Comment

I didn't see the game last night and was in my car for bits and pieces, so I only caught some on the radio. Therefore I have no comments on the game outside of "yuck", and "that was one I expected Dartmouth to win", but I did hear on the broadcast that Less has been skating. No idea what that means for when he'll be back but at least that means he's moving toward being back in the lineup. I agree--they need him back there.
                            That is awesome news about the prospect of Less getting ready and skating to come back. Based on that, I would foresee five D definitely in the regular rotation with 6-8 vying/rotating in for that last spot. Also based on what I have seen thus far, it may play out like this:

Yau/Markell
                            Matthews/Less
                            Demler should be in on big and physical teams and D zone draws with maybe in for Matthews
                            Roth and Han tend to spend a little more time in their D zone compared to the above and Michalowski (untrained D) back to forward but also act as a safety net in case a D goes down

Comment

It's Game Day/Weekend and what a HUGE weekend it is as the BG host ECAC rivals Cornell and Colgate. BG has mostly been sandwiched between the two as the Big Red has always been better and Colgate just a notch below and it is no different this year although I firmly believe BG has caught some of the stagger to Cornell.

Keys for tonight against Cornell:

Score early or at the very least get the lead because if the other way, Cornell can protect the lead with the best of them
                              Utilized speed and especially transition speed both inside and outside against them; including forecheck and backcheck
                              FOI Find open ice and minimize their size and board battles and scrums
                              To beat their goalie either with traffic in front and/or odd man situations getting him moving side to side
                              SKATE, SKATE, and SKATE some more as BG is the better skating team and of course with a a purpose

GOOOO BIG GREEN!

Comment

Congratulations!!
                                I am very excited to hear that Cam Strong scored the game-winning goal against Cornell, my most-disliked ECAC team (tryin’ hard not to be a h8er). Cam has a ton of talent, and is a fine young man to boot.
                                Having said that, Go ‘Gate.

Comment

Working...
                                X