Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BIG Green
    replied
    Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
    The fans of the other BG (in Ohio) will be scoreboard watching BG this weekend. Good luck!
    Thanks Tal! Good luck to you guys as well? Go Brown and Green!

Leave a comment:

• TalonsUpPuckDown
    replied
    Re: Dartmouth BIG Green Hockey: 2018-19 Season : Failure is NOT an Option...SUCCESS

The fans of the other BG (in Ohio) will be scoreboard watching BG this weekend. Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• CLKHockey
    replied
    Originally posted by bothman View Post
    Disagree. Harvard is much better this year than last year. Much deeper and well rounded. Not to say that Harvard will beat Dartmouth, just saying Harvard is much better with all of their offense not revolving around one player.
    Yep they seem pretty much on par with last year, to me. Quite a bit of depth starting with their obvious Fox, Walsh, ZG, Badini, and Gregoire.. But also Dornbach, Drury, and Rathbone are all very very good additions. If that goaltender of theirs can play at a high level throughout here, they have just a good a shot as anyone to win the ECAC tournament, in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• bothman
    replied

Originally posted by BIG Green View Post
    Thanks Kep! 100% spot on...that's why in a series (not one game) the better team generally wins. As to Harvard, this will be second year in a row BG will be facing them at Bright in the quarters with last year taking the first and losing the next two. However, it is my belief that the gap between the two has tightened thanks to Donato moving on. He single handedly beat BG last year. Make know mistake, Harvard is still very talented with all- offensive world Fox but missing Donato will hurt them. Like I always preached, Harvard is the school that BG emulates based on its winning culture and tradition.
    Disagree. Harvard is much better this year than last year. Much deeper and well rounded. Not to say that Harvard will beat Dartmouth, just saying Harvard is much better with all of their offense not revolving around one player.

Leave a comment:

• BIG Green
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    From the shots in game 2 it seems like this may have simply been indicative in the quality of the two squads. Please make Harvard's life hell.
    Thanks Kep! 100% spot on...that's why in a series (not one game) the better team generally wins. As to Harvard, this will be second year in a row BG will be facing them at Bright in the quarters with last year taking the first and losing the next two. However, it is my belief that the gap between the two has tightened thanks to Donato moving on. He single handedly beat BG last year. Make know mistake, Harvard is still very talented with all- offensive world Fox but missing Donato will hurt them. Like I always preached, Harvard is the school that BG emulates based on its winning culture and tradition.

Leave a comment:

• BIG Green
    replied

BG closes out a very stubborn ST L squad in a very resounding way. Although only leading 1-0 after one, BG was in controlled all night and calling off the dogs in the third. It is interesting to note that those very same shots that were saved the night before went in last night as Manella who stood on his head in Game 2 to steal the W gets yanked in the second period. There are just too many goals to comment/play by play so I will just keep in generalized:

Graber put the team on his back and sparked them
    Great to see Hesler/Jasiek/Losurdo do some damage with finding open ice
    PP has some jump with Yau/Graber making good sound decisions in puck distribution/movement
    Overall team D from goalie, D core, and out the Forwards defended well, especially protecting the house
    First time in all three series game that they actually scored the first goal and playing with a sense of urgency and purpose

Leave a comment:

• GreenBear
    replied

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    From the shots in game 2 it seems like this may have simply been indicative in the quality of the two squads. Please make Harvard's life hell.
    It is in some ways, but despite 50 shots on Saturday, it's not like Dartmouth was forcing huge saves out of Manella every time. They had a ton of shots, but quality didn't match quantity.

Then they go out and skate them into submission the next night and actually finish, which they have done sometimes, but one just never knows when. (Edit: it's never against Brown, usually against Yale, and against everyone else, flip a coin).

I thin Dartmouth could beat Harvard. I don't see a big gulf in class between the teams, especially at even strength. However, Dartmouth has to be consistently at a high level, and therein lies the issue--can this on-again, off-again team win 2 in Cambridge? I for sure see Dartmouth taking the series to 3 games....I don't know how much I believe they win it, tho'.

Leave a comment:

• Kepler
    replied

Originally posted by GreenBear View Post
    8-zip. Try as I might, I can just never figure out this team.

Leave a comment:

• GreenBear
    replied

8-zip. Try as I might, I can just never figure out this team.

Leave a comment:

• BIG Green
    replied

Well, BG craps the bed and loses in overtime last night 3-2. I am at a lost for how inconsistent this team is. From afar and looking at the stats, you would think that BG thoroughly outplayed ST L but that was not the case. ST L never trailed in this entire game although, never really had the lead for a substantial time as BG tied within the next couple of minutes. ST L is playing this perfectly given their talents and skating ability...they look for counters on turnovers or just odd man situations. They run a beautiful 3 on 2. GreenBear and I harped on the lacked of true finishers on this squad and that played out last night, with 60 shots on goal and not evening Grade A’s that just missed the net. The two goals from BG were scrums and/or rebounds with net front presence. The goals given up were a turnover in the D zone by Roth and PP tally which should not have been that easy. It was a hard-around that ST L won the board battle which somehow left defenders out of position for an easy tip in goal. Then the OT goal Hesler tries to goal cross ice to Yau and misses him ( Yau not being able to defend because he was in neutral zone) leading to a quick up and counter with ST L beating Jasiek to far post for deflection.

2/3 of Tree Line having a tough series thus far in Forman and O’ Connor; from afar it may look good as they are both on the score sheets
    As good as Clark was, Mannella was better
    Even Yau had a uneven first period but bounced but thereafter to play his usual game
    Rutherford and Blankemier has Grade A’ s but failed to bury their chances

There is nothing more to be said that the players don’t already know so let’s get this one tonight and repeat our visit to Harvard.

Leave a comment:

• GreenBear
    replied

Thanks Skate! It was definitely different... BG lost so leading into the rubber game tonight.
    Still don't know how--outshoot a team 60-24 and lose. Haven't seen that too often.

Leave a comment:

• BIG Green
    replied
    Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
    BG, I think it is tough when you are playing a team that finished dead last in the conference and is a hot mess. I don't blame the Green for having trouble generating energy for this game. I'm sure things will be different tonight.
    Thanks Skate! It was definitely different... BG lost so leading into the rubber game tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Skate79
    replied

BG survives and escapes a very stubborn ST L team who refused to quit. This is exactly what happens when you let a team who isn’t better or as talented to hang around. The game had very little flow BG was just out of sync. BG comes out hot with ST L barely touching the puck and when they do, ST L executes and perfect 3 on 2 goal goal that beats Clark on the short side. Then BG comes back to tie it up right afterwards with Tree Line extended O zone time with Yau going D to D to Matthews who puts a nice bank pass behind the net to Forman who then centers and hard to a waiting O’ Connor for a nice bag bang goal. The. BG gets on a PP and score right away has Yau moves it to Graber who skates it in between high circle and shoots. The puck somehow gets to an open Forman who bangs home to end the first. Then ST L comes out with a vengeance in the second and gets very extended O zone time but to no avail. Then Rutherford comes down on a 2 on 1 with the ST L D playing it right only to have Rutherford bury his shot going 7 hole to take a 3-1 lead. ST L continues to press and scores a goal with traffic in front of Clark that somehow trickles past him, he probably wants that one back. Then ST L storms out in the third and is stymied with BG doing the prevent defense of getting pucks deep, forechecking and hemming them in their own zone with cycling but only a couple of solid scoring chances. Here’s where it gets interesting with an EA for ST L as they get a couple of great looks where the D and Clark comes up big with block shots and timely saves.

BG will have to play better to finish ST L out tonight. I feel the intensity was not all there tonight. Let’s gooooo BIG GREEN!
    BG, I think it is tough when you are playing a team that finished dead last in the conference and is a hot mess. I don't blame the Green for having trouble generating energy for this game. I'm sure things will be different tonight.

Leave a comment:

• BIG Green
    replied
    It's playoff time! BG hosts ST L for best 2/3 series. They played each other last year with BG needing a third and final game to put ST L away. Last year's ST L team was better with Pritchard who transferred to UMass/AM and doing great. However with that said, BG won and barely tied ST L this season. In the first in Hanover, they ran rough shod over ST L putting over 50 shots on goal winning 4-1; it could have and should have been a more lopsided score. To ST L credit, they bounced back at home a played much better leading late I believe before BG tied it 2-2.

Keys to Vic:

- score early and often as ST L just do not have the team or fire power to rally from behind
    - this is great to say, partial Tree Line hopefully continues off a big last game (note O' Connor in for Sellar)
    - team D with its D core and F playing sound; of course Clark
    - no reason the PP should not get at least one goal a game
    - finally skate, skate, and then skate as BG is the much better skating team

BG survives and escapes a very stubborn ST L team who refused to quit. This is exactly what happens when you let a team who isn’t better or as talented to hang around. The game had very little flow BG was just out of sync. BG comes out hot with ST L barely touching the puck and when they do, ST L executes and perfect 3 on 2 goal goal that beats Clark on the short side. Then BG comes back to tie it up right afterwards with Tree Line extended O zone time with Yau going D to D to Matthews who puts a nice bank pass behind the net to Forman who then centers and hard to a waiting O’ Connor for a nice bag bang goal. The. BG gets on a PP and score right away has Yau moves it to Graber who skates it in between high circle and shoots. The puck somehow gets to an open Forman who bangs home to end the first. Then ST L comes out with a vengeance in the second and gets very extended O zone time but to no avail. Then Rutherford comes down on a 2 on 1 with the ST L D playing it right only to have Rutherford bury his shot going 7 hole to take a 3-1 lead. ST L continues to press and scores a goal with traffic in front of Clark that somehow trickles past him, he probably wants that one back. Then ST L storms out in the third and is stymied with BG doing the prevent defense of getting pucks deep, forechecking and hemming them in their own zone with cycling but only a couple of solid scoring chances. Here’s where it gets interesting with an EA for ST L as they get a couple of great looks where the D and Clark comes up big with block shots and timely saves.

BG will have to play better to finish ST L out tonight. I feel the intensity was not all there tonight. Let’s gooooo BIG GREEN!

Leave a comment:

• BIG Green
    replied

It's playoff time! BG hosts ST L for best 2/3 series. They played each other last year with BG needing a third and final game to put ST L away. Last year's ST L team was better with Pritchard who transferred to UMass/AM and doing great. However with that said, BG won and barely tied ST L this season. In the first in Hanover, they ran rough shod over ST L putting over 50 shots on goal winning 4-1; it could have and should have been a more lopsided score. To ST L credit, they bounced back at home a played much better leading late I believe before BG tied it 2-2.

Keys to Vic:

- score early and often as ST L just do not have the team or fire power to rally from behind
    - this is great to say, partial Tree Line hopefully continues off a big last game (note O' Connor in for Sellar)
    - team D with its D core and F playing sound; of course Clark
    - no reason the PP should not get at least one goal a game
    - finally skate, skate, and then skate as BG is the much better skating team

Leave a comment:

Working...
X