Re: UAH Hockey 2018-19

Getting BU is huge. HUGE.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

So if you get a new on-campus rink, will you bid for an NCAA regional at VBC?

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
        Give us 5-10 years in the building first. The Predators may well consider working with us on that. God knows that we're a better choice than most of the Midwest sites we've seen lately.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          give us 5-10 years in the building first. The predators may well consider working with us on that. God knows that we're a better choice than most of the midwest sites we've seen lately.

Gfm
          do it!
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            do it!
            I keep waiting to win the lottery so I can put my name on the dang thing. That's not where I would've put it, for a few reasons, but I get why it's there.

I actually wonder if that old wives' tale that I've heard about Cummings Research Park (title of your sex tape) is true and that everything in the park yields back to UAH in 2063. If so, having Campus straddle Sparkman in whole and not in part might be in the 20-year future.

[Before converting to NASA, I was a Teledyne Brown guy for 14 of my 15-year aerospace career. CRP has a place in my heart.]

GFM
            Last edited by gfmorris; 05-06-2019, 11:30 AM.
            Geof F. Morris
            UAH BSE MAE 2002
            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Give us 5-10 years in the building first. The Predators may well consider working with us on that. God knows that we're a better choice than most of the Midwest sites we've seen lately.

GFM
              The people I talk to in Nashville don’t seem to think the Predators are very likely To take a shot at either the regionals or the Frozen Four due to the fact that with the SEC BBall tourney at Bridgestone, they don’t want to lose any more home date flexibility during the playoff run.
              However, there are plans in the works for a two sheet facility with an 8-9000 seat arena the the Preds will manage in Clarksville that will house a minor league affiliate. That might make a good regional host.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                The people I talk to in Nashville don’t seem to think the Predators are very likely To take a shot at either the regionals or the Frozen Four due to the fact that with the SEC BBall tourney at Bridgestone, they don’t want to lose any more home date flexibility during the playoff run.
                However, there are plans in the works for a two sheet facility with an 8-9000 seat arena the the Preds will manage in Clarksville that will house a minor league affiliate. That might make a good regional host.
                Yeah, the SECMBB locked that down. They might work with us, though.

GFM
                Geof F. Morris
                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                UAHHockey.com

Comment

No non-conference home series this year, but we should see some soon. Hopefully they'll be in a gleaming new building where hoops is also pulling off a big run to the NCAAs.

https://uahchargers.com/news/2019/5/...me-series.aspx

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post

GFM
                    From what I saw of the NCAA's requirements, the lack of amenities for media alone (the dusty press boxes with low-hanging beams and the lack of designated areas for TV cameras) pretty much disqualify the VBC.
                    Michael Napier - UAH '97
                    uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey
                    U.S. National Club Champions - 1982, 1983, 1984
                    NCAA Division II National Champions - 1996, 1998
                    CHA Regular Season Champions - 2001, 2003
                    CHA Tournament Champions - 2007, 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                      From what I saw of the NCAA's requirements, the lack of amenities for media alone (the dusty press boxes with low-hanging beams and the lack of designated areas for TV cameras) pretty much disqualify the VBC.
                      I wonder if any opposing radio guy hasn’t cracked their head on those beams in the “highest dungeon in the South” at least once...
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

• Re: UAH Hockey 2018-19

Just an idea but I'd love to see UAH partner with the Atlanta Gladiators and have a regional in the Infinite Energy Center. Wouldn't be too hard to schedule a late-season road weekend for the Glads. Regionals are sparsely attended anyway so there shouldn't really be too much worry there. The arena is 45 minutes from the airport but that's whatever.

I wonder if any opposing radio guy hasn’t cracked their head on those beams in the “highest dungeon in the South” at least once...
                        I remember when I went up there for the first time with the Ice Flyers. My 6' 4" self stood there for a second and thought to myself, "... once I'm in, I'm not leaving."

Comment

I am here for all "the VBC is a dump" discussions.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Or any UAH official! Nah, we know that press box like the back of our hand...

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WearyDiffe...restricted.gif
                            Last edited by UAHStatman; 05-11-2019, 08:59 AM.
                            Michael Napier - UAH '97
                            uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

I am here for all "the VBC is a dump" discussions.

GFM
                              I think the fan experience has improved with the renovations but that's about it. I'm guessing they didn't expect sports in general and hockey in particular to be a regular thing when they built the arena in 1975, or else they would have accounted for media coverage. As a result, the media got pushed to an area that was intended for spotlight storage and light and sound switchboards for concerts, and TV and web cameras set up on makeshift wooden platforms covering rows of seats. This is the kind of stuff I'm sure (and I hope) they look at with the new facility if it happens.
                              Michael Napier - UAH '97
                              uahhockey.com

UAH Chargers Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                                I think the fan experience has improved with the renovations but that's about it. I'm guessing they didn't expect sports in general and hockey in particular to be a regular thing when they built the arena in 1975, or else they would have accounted for media coverage. As a result, the media got pushed to an area that was intended for spotlight storage and light and sound switchboards for concerts, and TV and web cameras set up on makeshift wooden platforms covering rows of seats. This is the kind of stuff I'm sure (and I hope) they look at with the new facility if it happens.
                                I guess I have a limited window for that lottery win...

GFM <— would get Michael his own designated seat and unlimited supply of black jerseys
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X