This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
    Nice to see Hockey East has incompetent officals as well. No idea how you can look at the replay of Northeastern's first "goal" and allow it to stand. Even the Husky announcers were assuming it wasn't going to count after one look at the replay. The puck was clearly on the line and never crossed. What a joke.

BTW, you can get to a free stream via Northeastern's website.
    Incompetent or arrogant? Based on Wilson's comment about the no goal, I would say arrogant dinks!
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
      Incompetent or arrogant? Based on Wilson's comment about the no goal, I would say arrogant dinks!
      Why not both?

Also, what did he say? Oh, you're talking about the late review? I missed that, gonna go and look at it again.

Anyway, there has to be some kind of accountability for idiocy like that. Anyone watching the game on TV/stream knows that it was flat out a blown call, and there's no excuse for that with replay at this level. Take the call away from the officials and use an off ice official if guys' egos are really preventing them from seeing clearly.
      Last edited by jflory81; 11-24-2018, 11:38 PM.

Comment

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2018/2019 - Time For The Tigers to Roar <<<

Here’s the tweet with the goal replay. I didn’t see this until after the game.

https://***********/gonumhockey/stat...527117824?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
          Why not both?

Also, what did he say? Oh, you're talking about the late review? I missed that, gonna go and look at it again.

Anyway, there has to be some kind of accountability for idiocy like that. Anyone watching the game on TV/stream knows that it was flat out a blown call, and there's no excuse for that with replay at this level. Take the call away from the officials and use an off ice official if guys' egos are really preventing them from seeing clearly.
          Wilson basically said they should scrap all the replay equipment if they aren't going to use it for is stated purpose.

Replay of all the goals on YouTube but no slow motion shots. Search Northeastern Hockey.
          RIT Tigers

Comment

Regardless of the loss - a strong showing by the Tigers against a strong top-15 team, in their arena. Even with the lackluster play at times, they proved they can keep up with and beat the top teams in the nation. If Drackett's play is for real, and the players stays healthy, this will be an exciting team to watch in March.

RIT Hockey FB Group
            Facebook.com/groups/RITtigershockey

RIT '13

Comment

Watched a replay of the game on NESN. NE goal #1 appears to be a no goal as it lay on its edge on the goal line. Even the announcers, after watching the replay thought so. The call on the tigers last attempt with the empty net appears to be a good call. Replay showed the goalie covering up the puck while it was on the line. Wasn't clear if it went complete over or not.
              RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                Watched a replay of the game on NESN. NE goal #1 appears to be a no goal as it lay on its edge on the goal line. Even the announcers, after watching the replay thought so. The call on the tigers last attempt with the empty net appears to be a good call. Replay showed the goalie covering up the puck while it was on the line. Wasn't clear if it went complete over or not.
                I agree with you on both of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  There are many Division I programs, including big time football and basketball programs, that let students in for free for all their games.
                  They've also got the other 80,000 (or 10,000 for bball) alumni / general public fans per game paying a premium price for seats to make up for that. Those teams have a much higher demand for tickets that justifies the high end prices for the non-students.
                  When RIT lets the students in for free, at least 75% or more of the fans in the arena are students. That would mean very expensive tickets for the rest of us if it became routine. The demand just isn't there to justify it, though. If it happened, you'd see 90%+ of the seats filled with students who do not pay and a few hundred die-hards funding the entire program.
                  They could always raise tuition a bit and reimburse the athletic department to cover the free tickets, but I imagine the many non-sports fans might have a problem with that one.
                  Can't we all just get along?
                  Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
                    If it happened, you'd see 90%+ of the seats filled with students who do not pay and a few hundred die-hards funding the entire program.
                    They could always raise tuition a bit and reimburse the athletic department to cover the free tickets, but I imagine the many non-sports fans might have a problem with that one.
                    The arena most likely more than made up for the missed ticket review with concession revenue.

Also, ticket revenue goes to RIT Arenas which is not affiliated with the athletic department.
                    Scott Biggar
                    WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
                    Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
                      The arena most likely more than made up for the missed ticket review with concession revenue.

Also, ticket revenue goes to RIT Arenas which is not affiliated with the athletic department.

Two Rochester players commit to:

Ritter to Dartmouth-Ritter played for Pittsford H.S. and Rochester midget last year. Now at a prep school.

MacDonald to RPI

RIT does not go after younger players but this must sting a bit. McDonald is playing for a midget team in Rochester and is going to an Engineering school.

ECAC and Scholarship!
                      Last edited by Hockeyplayer82; 11-28-2018, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                        I want to start this by saying shame on the league for not issuing a statement. This is my biggest complaints in College Hockey and with College hockey media. This situation deserves an official statement. Look I am not looking for them to publicly flog the officials, but an explanation of the call is not only owed to the players/coaches, but also the fans.

I was in the arena for the game and of course unaware of the issue with the first goal till I left. Putting the pieces together, the referee clearly called it a goal. How he was so sure we will never know. So we are now dealing with the standard of having to have "indisputable video evidence" to over turn the call. From the Twitter video I saw the overhead was inconclusive. I think that video was compressed to be on Twitter and I wonder if the video the refs was better, if not then Northeastern needs to install better cameras. The side view seemed clear that the puck landed on the line and did not completely cross, I would like a clear overhead shot to establish "indisputable video evidence. Really would like to see a better quality overhead, but perhaps they could not tell and thus stuck with the initial ruling. One thing that drives me crazy is this is the same kind of call they overturned in the North Dakota Regional game where a OT winner was overturned based on an offside which I thought looked off side but was not indisputable. The NCAA has failed in my opinion to have a clear uniform interpretation on video replay and needs to address that.

On the RIT Goal that was deemed no goal, I agree that it was close, but I do not see enough evidence to overturn the call. As you said it wasn't clear.

On the overall game itself. I was really happy the way the team responded to being down 2-0 early on what appear to be a couple of bad bounces. They dominated Northeastern in the second and deserved the lead. My real disappointment was for about 10 minutes in the mid-third Northeastern throw the kitchen sink and the Tigers had no response. They could not get the puck to the net at all and frankly failed to answer the bell. Until Wayne made a great decision to pull Drackett early (2 mins to go) and RIT dominated Northeastern for those 2 minutes and did everything but score. Before that replay, I think an initial shot got deflected and if it just rolls the other way was a tie game. So good on the Tigers for that, this young team is no doubt dangerous.

Upcoming games before Christmas can really make RIT a front runner in the league. Showdown this weekend with Air Force, then we will see Sacred Heart a team they should take at least 3 points from, but we know SHU can sting you if you do not show up. Then there next 3 all against Niagara who for the second straight year are raising eyebrows in the first half. That will be interesting for them, especially if RIT can get the better of Air Force and Sacred Heart, to see if the Purple Eagles are for real or are heading for a repeat performance of a second half collapse.

Originally posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
                        Two Rochester players commit to:

Ritter to Dartmouth-Ritter played for Pittsford H.S. and Rochester midget last year. Now at a prep school.

MacDonald to RPI

RIT does not go after younger players but this must sting a bit. McDonald is playing for a midget team in Rochester and is going to an Engineering school.

ECAC and Scholarship!
                        Don't get me started on ECAC and Scholarships. People get mad at me when I express this opinion because everyone loved the last President, but since building the arena the administration at RIT still seems to be a great cheerleader, but I still see one big financial commitment they need to take with this program that they seem unwilling to do. I'll try and keep an open mind, but the new president seemed to put some window dressing on ideas for the Athletic Department and stopped short of offering the red meat that so many of us want.

Wayne Wilson made a mention at an Alumni event last year that he not a fan of locking up young players, but did mention it more of a reality these days. There has been an uptick, all be it a small one, in locking up younger players. They have Dimitri Mikrogiannakis verbally committed for 2020-2021. Two Freshmen on this years team did verbally commit in 2016, Will Calverley (5/7/2016) and Zach Salloum (12/11/2016). They also did have Sam Kozlowski (10/16/2016), but he did not make it to RIT. These are Verbal Commitments and not binding to the players so there is more risk to the colleges. Best example for RIT is Reed Delainey who in 2014 verbally committed for the 2017-2018 season, and never played a game for the Tigers. Some guys will de-commit and go elsewhere, Gordie Balhorn did that in 2015 and went to the WHL with Kelowna. There was also a guy who I believe was a local Rochester guy who de-committed and went to Saint Lawrence, but I am blanking on his name.

So does this sting? I don't know, we are talking about 16 year old, lots can happen. I often laugh when the crew calls a local NY boy a traitor in introductions. There is so much more that goes into recruiting then just where the guys is from.
                        Last edited by Tom Naeger; 11-28-2018, 10:45 AM.
                        Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
                        The Mule
                        Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                          I often laugh when the crew calls a local NY boy a traitor in introductions.
                          Or how about when they chant "Traitor!" to a player from the Buffalo-Niagara Falls area who is playing for Canisius or Niagara? How are they a traitor, exactly?
                          They do realize that RIT is only one out of 10 D-I programs in the state, I hope.
                          It would actually make sense if they limited that chant to Rochester area players.
                          Can't we all just get along?
                          Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                            Don't get me started on ECAC and Scholarships. People get mad at me when I express this opinion because everyone loved the last President, but since building the arena the administration at RIT still seems to be a great cheerleader, but I still see one big financial commitment they need to take with this program that they seem unwilling to do.
                            As things stand at present, the only way that RIT can offer scholarships is to go at least to Division II for all of its sports, a two-year move, and one that would probably see the end of some sports. Unless the NCAA opens up the rules, RIT cannot offer scholarships. (It would take a total of 11 years to go fully D-I.)

These D-I teams at D-III schools are grandfathered, having offered scholarships before the door on them closed in the early 80s:

Clarkson (men's and women's ice hockey)
                            Colorado College (men's ice hockey and women's soccer)
                            Johns Hopkins (men's and women's lacrosse)
                            Rensselaer (men's and women's ice hockey)
                            St. Lawrence (men's and women's ice hockey)

These teams are D-I programs at D-III schools that cannot offer athletic scholarships:

Franklin and Marshall (men's wrestling)
                            Hobart (men's lacrosse)
                            MIT (women's rowing)
                            RIT (men's and women's ice hockey)
                            Union College (men's and women's ice hockey)

RIT would like to see the grandfathering expanded to these other schools since no team will be allowed to play up in the future. Even the RIT women's team would have been blocked except for RIT successfully making the case to elevate them: https://www.uscho.com/2012/03/20/rit...to-division-i/

Three D-I hockey commissioners have each told me that they would support RIT and Union being allowed to offer scholarships. But the decision has to come from D-III at the NCAA, which has little incentive to do so.

Comment

I went through frame by frame (home sick and nothing else to do but cough, etc...) on the overhead shot and the netting really obscures the puck so I just had a small shadow to look at and can't tell from that view. On the front view, I can see the puck rise from behind Dracket, then come straight back down and settle on the line. Physics tells me that the puck will only come straight down unless it has momentum acting upon it. I think it's pretty clear it was a no goal, regardless of which video you look at and the official made a bad call.
                              RIT Tigers

Comment

Speaking of bad calls: https://www.uscho.com/2018/11/29/atl...n-nov-24-game/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X