replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    You missed it.
    After 60
    Play 5
    If still tied - declare an NCAA tie
    resurface
    20 on the clock, play until a winner.
    I hate this if this is how it will work. I also hate the shootout possibility. I even hate that the game would be considered a tie if deadlocked after 5 minutes of OT. Is it possible they would just put 20 on the clock and then if after 5 minutes nobody has scored, it counts as a tie but keep playing until you have a winner? Feels to me like this could open the door for Beanpot to just do a shootout after 5 minutes which I don't want to see.

Leave a comment:

• Rainman
    replied
    Re: Proposed rule changes, OT format, top of the list

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
    When a game remains tied after regulation time, teams will play five-on-five for five minutes to determine a winner
    I'm guessing this is in reality, 4x4, with the fifth player on each team being the goalie? (NHL does 3x3 plus goalies)

Leave a comment:

• icehawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    I still hope down the down line that during the regular season that Overtime goes from 5 minutes to a 10 minute Overtime....after that a tie, I can live with ties...part of the regular season. Please NO more SHOOT-OUTS
    Right there with you sir

Leave a comment:

• FlagDUDE08
    replied

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    Are there any leagues where you can have 19 skaters? That seems a little funky to me. I’m happy they are getting rid of the ot gimmicks.
    International play.

Leave a comment:

• Ralph Baer
    replied

Are there any leagues where you can have 19 skaters? That seems a little funky to me. I’m happy they are getting rid of the ot gimmicks.
    The BCHL for one.

Leave a comment:

• Ma#1ne Hky
    replied

I still hope down the down line that during the regular season that Overtime goes from 5 minutes to a 10 minute Overtime....after that a tie, I can live with ties...part of the regular season. Please NO more SHOOT-OUTS

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    They have always resurfaced after regulation and started 20 min ot’s.
    You missed it.
    After 60
    Play 5
    If still tied - declare an NCAA tie
    resurface
    20 on the clock, play until a winner.

Leave a comment:

• purpleinnebraska
    replied

I wasn't happy when the WCHA went to the 3-on-3 and shootout (still not thrilled with it), but I don't see why the NCAA needed to do anything, given that those results were excluded from "official" results.

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied
    Originally posted by joecct View Post
    So after 5 minutes OT at the Beanpot, they resurface and then play 20 minutes????
    They have always resurfaced after regulation and started 20 min ot’s.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

...During regular-season tournaments that require advancement, two options will be available after the five-minute overtime is played. Events may choose to utilize a shootout, using the specified rules, or conduct 20-minute sudden death periods.
    So after 5 minutes OT at the Beanpot, they resurface and then play 20 minutes????

Leave a comment:

• Drew S.
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LTsatch
    started a topic Proposed rule changes, OT format, top of the list

Proposed rule changes, OT format, top of the list

Teams will play 5-on-5 for five minutes in all regular-season games
    Greg Johnson | NCAA.com
    Last Updated - Jun 14, 2018 16:42 EDT

The NCAA Men’s and Women’s Ice Hockey Rules Committee approved a standardized overtime format for all regular-season games and in-season tournaments beginning with the 2018-19 season.

When a game remains tied after regulation time, teams will play five-on-five for five minutes to determine a winner. If neither team scores, the result will be a tie. No other options, including alternative formats for points in conference standings, will be permitted.

This change makes all games consistent and removes several overtime options from the rules book.

“While differing opinions were expressed, at the end of the day the committee strongly endorsed a single overtime option, cleaning up the book and affirming the belief that hockey is played, for the most part, in a five-on-five format,” said Joe Bertagna, Hockey East Association commissioner and chair of the committee. “While the time might come where college hockey will employ a reduced manpower overtime, the prevailing voices on the committee did not see that time as now.”

During regular-season tournaments that require advancement, two options will be available after the five-minute overtime is played. Events may choose to utilize a shootout, using the specified rules, or conduct 20-minute sudden death periods. Postseason competition options include 20-minute sudden death periods or the minigame format (utilized in some conference championships).

All rules changes must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which will discuss ice hockey rules change proposals during a July 25 teleconference. The proposals will be distributed to the membership for comment next week.

Video review for ejections

The committee proposed several other changes to improve its rules. One significant change is to allow the use of video review in situations where ejecting a student-athlete is being considered. Because such calls are critical, and officials must currently make these determinations after viewing the play in real time, the committee believes this change will be a positive.

“When video replay is available, it is important to be sure student-athletes are penalized appropriately,” Bertagna said. “Given the speed of the game, providing this tool will help ensure proper enforcement.”

To address the potential concern of adding to the length of game and prolonged interruptions in play, the committee will provide education to the conferences regarding the preferred protocol for these reviews. Currently, officials huddle and communicate about a play where an ejection is being considered. With this rule, the instruction will be to immediately review the play and expedite the decision.

For the first time, the committee voted to issue separate points of emphasis for men’s and women’s ice hockey. Some components are shared, but the committee believes it is important to focus on each gender separately.

Protection of the student-athlete remains the top point of emphasis for both genders.

“In addition to traditional warnings, we are asking men’s officials to watch out for an increase in slashing and late hits, areas that other levels of elite men’s hockey have tackled in recent years,” Bertagna said. “Representatives of women’s ice hockey on the committee identified a need to clarify the differences between legal and illegal contact and began steps to put measures in place to be communicated to players, coaches and officials.”

Further, both committees believe a renewed focus on respect is appropriate.

“Respect for the game and respect for each other truly must be front and center,” Bertagna said. “We included our concerns over the spread of embellishment in that section. It has grown in both the men’s and women’s game and needs to be stopped.”

Other significant rule changes:

The committee redefined slashing to encourage better enforcement and specifically identified this as an illegal defensive tactic.
    For a substitution to be legal, the player coming off the ice must be within 5 feet of their bench before the substitute may contact the ice.
    In overtime games, each team will have one timeout to utilize in overtime, regardless of whether a timeout was used during regulation play.
    The number of skaters allowed to each team will be increased to 19 (current rule allows up to 18).
    A player who catches the puck must immediately place it on the ice for play to continue legally. If a player catches and conceals or throws the puck, a minor penalty shall be assessed.
    To reduce the number of video review situations, coaches must use a challenge to review goals scored where a potential high stick is involved or plays where the puck touches the netting out of play and leads to a goal.
Working...
X