Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Proposed rule changes, OT format, top of the list

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    Not sure if I get the point of the extra timeout. Other sports give an additional timeout per OT, but those sports also start with 4-6 timeouts. In tournament play I could see it with 20 minute periods, but for an extra five minutes in the regular season when you only get one for 60 minutes it just doesn't make sense.
    I'm sure a large percentage of games going to OT have all their goals within the first 55 minutes. By giving the timeout, a team is more likely to set up something for a better chance to win, instead of saving the timeout on the chance that they'll need it in OT.

Comment

Why do we have two threads on this?

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
        I'm sure a large percentage of games going to OT have all their goals within the first 55 minutes. By giving the timeout, a team is more likely to set up something for a better chance to win, instead of saving the timeout on the chance that they'll need it in OT.
        I do not like this change. I suspect it will be far more common for teams to call timeouts to rest tired players after long shifts+ icing as a way to prevent momentum shifts at critical junctures. I also fear we will all have to endure two timeout stoppages every OT since hey, the teams got ‘em.

On another note, if they truly wanted to speed the game along more quickly they would do away with those awful “tv timeout” stoppages for every game regardless of television presence.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirateasaur View Post
          ...if they truly wanted to speed the game along...they would do away with those awful “tv timeout” stoppages for every game regardless of television presence.
          Oh heck yesss!!!! I hate TV timeouts in non-TV games almost as much as I hate shootouts.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I do not like this change. I suspect it will be far more common for teams to call timeouts to rest tired players after long shifts+ icing as a way to prevent momentum shifts at critical junctures. I also fear we will all have to endure two timeout stoppages every OT since hey, the teams got ‘em.

On another note, if they truly wanted to speed the game along more quickly they would do away with those awful “tv timeout” stoppages for every game regardless of television presence.
            Those aren't going away. At most they'll put the TV time on the clock and count it down like the Big Ten is starting to do in football, but football also has coaches trying to fit in a last few words. In hockey, it seems like everyone is usually in their spots ready-to-go, just staring at the light. There aren't really any pace of play issues to clean up.
            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Oh heck yesss!!!! I hate TV timeouts in non-TV games almost as much as I hate shootouts.
              While most games are not on TV most are streamed lived. Those timeouts allow commercials to help pay for the streaming. Last season I watched BU games (men's and women's) played at Maine, Northeastern, BC, UNH and other schools that stream for free and if the timeouts help pay for the streaming I have no problem sitting through them when I am at BU games.

Sean
              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
              BU Hockey highlights and extras
              NCAA Hockey Financials
              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                While most games are not on TV, most are streamed lived. Those timeouts allow commercials to help pay for the streaming....
                Point taken but isn't it possible for at least some of those commercials/promos to be aired during stoppages for other things like replay reviews, injuries, etc? One of the great strengths of hockey is long stretches of continuous action but that's being steadily chipped away, to the detriment of the game, IMO.

Comment

Point taken but isn't it possible for at least some of those commercials/promos to be aired during stoppages for other things like replay reviews, injuries, etc? One of the great strengths of hockey is long stretches of continuous action but that's being steadily chipped away, to the detriment of the game, IMO.
                  They do shovel the snow during those stoppages.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

The media timeouts ensure that all games are played under the same rules. The rule came to the forefront in the days of the CCHA and old WCHA where schools like Michigan and Minnesota played their mostly televised games under one set of rules while games at Michigan Tech or Ferris State or Faibanks under another. It also gives your smaller market media markets an opportunity to generate revenue, which needed when you have to buy plane tickets to Alaska from Marquette or Sault Ste Marie.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 06-16-2018, 06:49 PM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

You have no idea how many timeouts you’ll have for injury or replay and you never know how long they’ll last when they occur.
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

There's no guarantees that what you're referencing are going to happen. And if there's going to be visuals with commercials, when it comes to their viewing vs. live viewing, let me ask you this: How many of you saw Phil Verchota's goal vs. Finland during the 1980 Olympics? TV viewers in the US certainly didn't, and take a wild guess as to why. Video's here to stay, otherwise interest in the sport goes to the john. have to figure what's the most important.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          In our league, at least. Not sure they do that in all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                            Why do we have two threads on this?
                            Went back two pages and didn’t notice the any other.
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

In your defense, it does have a deceiving title...
                              Rule Changes: Who got screwed and wants a fix?

'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                um...sort of

Comment

Working...
                                X