• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proposed rule changes, OT format, top of the list

Teams will play 5-on-5 for five minutes in all regular-season games
    Greg Johnson | NCAA.com
    Last Updated - Jun 14, 2018 16:42 EDT

The NCAA Men’s and Women’s Ice Hockey Rules Committee approved a standardized overtime format for all regular-season games and in-season tournaments beginning with the 2018-19 season.

When a game remains tied after regulation time, teams will play five-on-five for five minutes to determine a winner. If neither team scores, the result will be a tie. No other options, including alternative formats for points in conference standings, will be permitted.

This change makes all games consistent and removes several overtime options from the rules book.

“While differing opinions were expressed, at the end of the day the committee strongly endorsed a single overtime option, cleaning up the book and affirming the belief that hockey is played, for the most part, in a five-on-five format,” said Joe Bertagna, Hockey East Association commissioner and chair of the committee. “While the time might come where college hockey will employ a reduced manpower overtime, the prevailing voices on the committee did not see that time as now.”

During regular-season tournaments that require advancement, two options will be available after the five-minute overtime is played. Events may choose to utilize a shootout, using the specified rules, or conduct 20-minute sudden death periods. Postseason competition options include 20-minute sudden death periods or the minigame format (utilized in some conference championships).

All rules changes must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which will discuss ice hockey rules change proposals during a July 25 teleconference. The proposals will be distributed to the membership for comment next week.

Video review for ejections

The committee proposed several other changes to improve its rules. One significant change is to allow the use of video review in situations where ejecting a student-athlete is being considered. Because such calls are critical, and officials must currently make these determinations after viewing the play in real time, the committee believes this change will be a positive.

“When video replay is available, it is important to be sure student-athletes are penalized appropriately,” Bertagna said. “Given the speed of the game, providing this tool will help ensure proper enforcement.”

To address the potential concern of adding to the length of game and prolonged interruptions in play, the committee will provide education to the conferences regarding the preferred protocol for these reviews. Currently, officials huddle and communicate about a play where an ejection is being considered. With this rule, the instruction will be to immediately review the play and expedite the decision.

For the first time, the committee voted to issue separate points of emphasis for men’s and women’s ice hockey. Some components are shared, but the committee believes it is important to focus on each gender separately.

Protection of the student-athlete remains the top point of emphasis for both genders.

“In addition to traditional warnings, we are asking men’s officials to watch out for an increase in slashing and late hits, areas that other levels of elite men’s hockey have tackled in recent years,” Bertagna said. “Representatives of women’s ice hockey on the committee identified a need to clarify the differences between legal and illegal contact and began steps to put measures in place to be communicated to players, coaches and officials.”

Further, both committees believe a renewed focus on respect is appropriate.

“Respect for the game and respect for each other truly must be front and center,” Bertagna said. “We included our concerns over the spread of embellishment in that section. It has grown in both the men’s and women’s game and needs to be stopped.”

Other significant rule changes:

The committee redefined slashing to encourage better enforcement and specifically identified this as an illegal defensive tactic.
    For a substitution to be legal, the player coming off the ice must be within 5 feet of their bench before the substitute may contact the ice.
    In overtime games, each team will have one timeout to utilize in overtime, regardless of whether a timeout was used during regulation play.
    The number of skaters allowed to each team will be increased to 19 (current rule allows up to 18).
    A player who catches the puck must immediately place it on the ice for play to continue legally. If a player catches and conceals or throws the puck, a minor penalty shall be assessed.
    To reduce the number of video review situations, coaches must use a challenge to review goals scored where a potential high stick is involved or plays where the puck touches the netting out of play and leads to a goal.
    YALE HOCKEY
    2013 National Champions

Re: Proposed rule changes, OT format, top of the list

Are there any leagues where you can have 19 skaters? That seems a little funky to me. I’m happy they are getting rid of the ot gimmicks.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

...During regular-season tournaments that require advancement, two options will be available after the five-minute overtime is played. Events may choose to utilize a shootout, using the specified rules, or conduct 20-minute sudden death periods.
      So after 5 minutes OT at the Beanpot, they resurface and then play 20 minutes????
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
        So after 5 minutes OT at the Beanpot, they resurface and then play 20 minutes????
        They have always resurfaced after regulation and started 20 min ot’s.
        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          Are there any leagues where you can have 19 skaters? That seems a little funky to me. I’m happy they are getting rid of the ot gimmicks.
          I wasn't happy when the WCHA went to the 3-on-3 and shootout (still not thrilled with it), but I don't see why the NCAA needed to do anything, given that those results were excluded from "official" results.

Comment

They have always resurfaced after regulation and started 20 min ot’s.
            You missed it.
            After 60
            Play 5
            If still tied - declare an NCAA tie
            resurface
            20 on the clock, play until a winner.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

I still hope down the down line that during the regular season that Overtime goes from 5 minutes to a 10 minute Overtime....after that a tie, I can live with ties...part of the regular season. Please NO more SHOOT-OUTS

Comment

The BCHL for one.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

International play.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                    I still hope down the down line that during the regular season that Overtime goes from 5 minutes to a 10 minute Overtime....after that a tie, I can live with ties...part of the regular season. Please NO more SHOOT-OUTS
                    Right there with you sir
                    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                      When a game remains tied after regulation time, teams will play five-on-five for five minutes to determine a winner
                      I'm guessing this is in reality, 4x4, with the fifth player on each team being the goalie? (NHL does 3x3 plus goalies)
                      Colgate '09

Comment

You missed it.
                        After 60
                        Play 5
                        resurface
                        I hate this if this is how it will work. I also hate the shootout possibility. I even hate that the game would be considered a tie if deadlocked after 5 minutes of OT. Is it possible they would just put 20 on the clock and then if after 5 minutes nobody has scored, it counts as a tie but keep playing until you have a winner? Feels to me like this could open the door for Beanpot to just do a shootout after 5 minutes which I don't want to see.

Comment

...I’m happy they are getting rid of the ot gimmicks.
                          Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                          I still hope...Overtime goes from 5 minutes to a 10 minutes...after that a tie, I can live with ties...NO more SHOOT-OUTS
                          Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          ...I also hate the shootout possibility...Feels to me like this could open the door for Beanpot to just do a shootout after 5 minutes which I don't want to see.
                          Happy that the hockey gods allowed sanity to prevail and that game outcomes will be decided by playing hockey instead of by gimmicks. One of the strengths of hockey, IMO, is that it recognizes that on a given night, one team may not be better than the other, so a tie is the only fair outcome. Thus regular season standings points instead of the W-L-Pct used by baseball and bouncyball. Where championships are involved, play on through as many 20-min OTs as may be necessary.

I too would have been happier with a 10-min OT but I'm fine with anything that doesn't involve artificialities or gimmicks.
                          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Not sure if I get the point of the extra timeout. Other sports give an additional timeout per OT, but those sports also start with 4-6 timeouts. In tournament play I could see it with 20 minute periods, but for an extra five minutes in the regular season when you only get one for 60 minutes it just doesn't make sense.
                            Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

You missed it.
                              After 60
                              Play 5
                              resurface
                              Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              I hate this if this is how it will work. I also hate the shootout possibility. I even hate that the game would be considered a tie if deadlocked after 5 minutes of OT. Is it possible they would just put 20 on the clock and then if after 5 minutes nobody has scored, it counts as a tie but keep playing until you have a winner? Feels to me like this could open the door for Beanpot to just do a shootout after 5 minutes which I don't want to see.
                              It would make more sense to go right into the 20:00 sudden death period and if someone scores within 5:00, they get an NCAA win (and the other a loss), and if the winner is determined after 5:00, a tie is recorded for NCAA purposes. Let's see how they will play it.
                              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Working...
                              X