Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Honestly, there are too many unknowns at this point to come up with any suggested change that might improve things.. Other teams not in the mix might show up, some teams might close hockey altogether, etc. The timing right now to me is suspect and I don't think anything is going to happen for a while. But.. given that travel is the biggest issue, teams that are close might want to be at least talking. Such as maybe UMD and MTU/NMU. In fact might it make sense to trade UMD for Mankato? even up?
    To me you have a serious problem with travel and with the team's other prejudices, it makes solutions very difficult.
    Sure, but it's late June, and it's time to be silly. I think that you can come up with a number of reasonable scenarios based on what move starts the ball rolling.

GFM
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Comment

• Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
      Honestly, there are too many unknowns at this point to come up with any suggested change that might improve things.. Other teams not in the mix might show up, some teams might close hockey altogether, etc. The timing right now to me is suspect and I don't think anything is going to happen for a while. But.. given that travel is the biggest issue, teams that are close might want to be at least talking. Such as maybe UMD and MTU/NMU. In fact might it make sense to trade UMD for Mankato? even up?
      To me you have a serious problem with travel and with the team's other prejudices, it makes solutions very difficult.
      Why would UMD even consider anything like that? They just won the National Championship, their 2nd in the last like 8 years, and they did it while in the toughest conference in the country, but yet would be ok giving up the situation that just paved the way for them to their 2nd championship?
      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
        Why would UMD even consider anything like that? They just won the National Championship, their 2nd in the last like 8 years, and they did it while in the toughest conference in the country, but yet would be ok giving up the situation that just paved the way for them to their 2nd championship?
        agreed, UMD isn't leaving NCHC...the BSU/MSUM swap for WMU/Miami is what makes the most sense, but I could also see the ultimate change being:

NCHC: +ASU/MSUM -WMU/Miami
        WCHA: +WMU/Miami - MSUM, UAA/UA_ merge

I just don't see how the Alaska schools can continue separate long term and both succeed.
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          agreed, UMD isn't leaving NCHC...the BSU/MSUM swap for WMU/Miami is what makes the most sense, but I could also see the ultimate change being:

I just don't see how the Alaska schools can continue separate long term and both succeed.
          As much as I hate to say it, I could see that being a death blow to Bemidji....... Trading their only in state conference foe for a flight to southwestern Ohio and a bus trip to Western Michigan doesn't bode well. And Miami and Western probably would draw less in Bemidji then Mankato does.
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
            As much as I hate to say it, I could see that being a death blow to Bemidji....... Trading their only in state conference foe for a flight to southwestern Ohio and a bus trip to Western Michigan doesn't bode well. And Miami and Western probably would draw less in Bemidji then Mankato does.
            I suppose thats possible but your NC should be great...its hard to be the outsider in any conference...I don't think MTU really wants to be in a conference where Miami/Western are swapped for BSU/MSU. much like what I just said, it would probably make MTU one of the more attractive NC opponents for NCHC teams but I would be upset because my closest guaranteed trip would become Houghton.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post

Sigh. The NCAA shot down the merger fiasco, which was a terrible idea to begin with.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

There is no feasible way for UAF & UAA to merge. It’s one or the other.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Sigh. The NCAA shot down the merger fiasco, which was a terrible idea to begin with.
                  Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                  There is no feasible way for UAF & UAA to merge. It’s one or the other.
                  Call it whatever you want...its hard on the WCHA to be stuck traveling to UAH, UAF and UAA. I don't want to hear any complaining from the Alaska folks. It's a fact of life.

Comment

Call it whatever you want...its hard on the WCHA to be stuck traveling to UAH, UAF and UAA. I don't want to hear any complaining from the Alaska folks. It's a fact of life.
                    You’re the one doing the complaining.
                    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Here's a radical, radical proposal that would never get out:

If two or more teams are more than N miles from the geographic center of the league, up to two (2) games played against that team's conference are exempted. Call it the Imputed Alaska Exemption.

Consider: every WCHA team, because they're willing to take on the two far-flung Alaska schools, are allowed to schedule two more non-conference games. BGSU could have another two freebies to keep some of its in-state / old CCHA rivalries in place. MSU and BSU can work to schedule more games against in-state teams. The Michigan schools could try to get MSU-EL and UM to schedule them (maybe Merle remembers the Mackinac). Huntsville could ... well, we could start back with the Nashville series.

Word it right and you could get four games exempted if ASU came on board and then get the IAE applied to UA3 and ASU for four games.

GFM <— either hasn't had enough or too much coffee this morning.
                      Geof F. Morris
                      UAH BSE MAE 2002
                      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                        Here's a radical, radical proposal that would never get out:

If two or more teams are more than N miles from the geographic center of the league, up to two (2) games played against that team's conference are exempted. Call it the Imputed Alaska Exemption.

Consider: every WCHA team, because they're willing to take on the two far-flung Alaska schools, are allowed to schedule two more non-conference games. BGSU could have another two freebies to keep some of its in-state / old CCHA rivalries in place. MSU and BSU can work to schedule more games against in-state teams. The Michigan schools could try to get MSU-EL and UM to schedule them (maybe Merle remembers the Mackinac). Huntsville could ... well, we could start back with the Nashville series.

Word it right and you could get four games exempted if ASU came on board and then get the IAE applied to UA3 and ASU for four games.

GFM <— either hasn't had enough or too much coffee this morning.
                        That's great but we're already not using all out exempt games and that just makes the super conferences richer because their footprints are gigantic. You'd probably also have CC/DU far enough away for NCHC to qualify.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                          You’re the one doing the complaining.
                          I'm just stating facts. Every time the fact is stated 2 or 3 of you come in here and tell whoever said it they're wrong and to shut up...but continue on.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                            That's great but we're already not using all out exempt games and that just makes the super conferences richer because their footprints are gigantic. You'd probably also have CC/DU far enough away for NCHC to qualify.
                            Someone smart like us can figure out a way to write it such that only WCHA schools qualify.

As far as WCHA schools not all using it: I understand it for some of us. UAH used it in 2013-14, and Corbett swore that he wouldn't do it again because his guys were just beaten and broken by the end of the season (it didn't help that there was no steady ECHL+ talent on that roster). Now maybe a 19th skater ameliorates that some, although at one point that season or the next, UAH carried three goalies on trips because they didn't have 20 healthy skaters to take on trips.

GFM

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              Someone smart like us can figure out a way to write it such that only WCHA schools qualify.

As far as WCHA schools not all using it: I understand it for some of us. UAH used it in 2013-14, and Corbett swore that he wouldn't do it again because his guys were just beaten and broken by the end of the season (it didn't help that there was no steady ECHL+ talent on that roster). Now maybe a 19th skater ameliorates that some, although at one point that season or the next, UAH carried three goalies on trips because they didn't have 20 healthy skaters to take on trips.

GFM

GFM
                              one more spot to dress also helps get more guys dressed which means more opportunities to get rewarded.

Comment

It’s rare for a team to play more than 36 regular season games, and even if they did, it would be very difficult for WCHA teams to even get half those games on their home ice.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X