Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirtless Guy
    replied
    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
    Sigh. The NCAA shot down the merger fiasco, which was a terrible idea to begin with.
    Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    There is no feasible way for UAF & UAA to merge. It’s one or the other.
    Call it whatever you want...its hard on the WCHA to be stuck traveling to UAH, UAF and UAA. I don't want to hear any complaining from the Alaska folks. It's a fact of life.

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
    agreed, UMD isn't leaving NCHC...the BSU/MSUM swap for WMU/Miami is what makes the most sense, but I could also see the ultimate change being:

NCHC: +ASU/MSUM -WMU/Miami
    WCHA: +WMU/Miami - MSUM, UAA/UA_ merge

I just don't see how the Alaska schools can continue separate long term and both succeed.
    There is no feasible way for UAF & UAA to merge. It’s one or the other.

Leave a comment:

• Squarebanks
    replied
    agreed, UMD isn't leaving NCHC...the BSU/MSUM swap for WMU/Miami is what makes the most sense, but I could also see the ultimate change being:

I just don't see how the Alaska schools can continue separate long term and both succeed.
    Sigh. The NCAA shot down the merger fiasco, which was a terrible idea to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied
    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, I could see that being a death blow to Bemidji....... Trading their only in state conference foe for a flight to southwestern Ohio and a bus trip to Western Michigan doesn't bode well. And Miami and Western probably would draw less in Bemidji then Mankato does.
    I suppose thats possible but your NC should be great...its hard to be the outsider in any conference...I don't think MTU really wants to be in a conference where Miami/Western are swapped for BSU/MSU. much like what I just said, it would probably make MTU one of the more attractive NC opponents for NCHC teams but I would be upset because my closest guaranteed trip would become Houghton.

Leave a comment:

• beaverhockeyfan
    replied

As much as I hate to say it, I could see that being a death blow to Bemidji....... Trading their only in state conference foe for a flight to southwestern Ohio and a bus trip to Western Michigan doesn't bode well. And Miami and Western probably would draw less in Bemidji then Mankato does.

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Why would UMD even consider anything like that? They just won the National Championship, their 2nd in the last like 8 years, and they did it while in the toughest conference in the country, but yet would be ok giving up the situation that just paved the way for them to their 2nd championship?

Leave a comment:

• bigblue_dl
    replied

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Honestly, there are too many unknowns at this point to come up with any suggested change that might improve things.. Other teams not in the mix might show up, some teams might close hockey altogether, etc. The timing right now to me is suspect and I don't think anything is going to happen for a while. But.. given that travel is the biggest issue, teams that are close might want to be at least talking. Such as maybe UMD and MTU/NMU. In fact might it make sense to trade UMD for Mankato? even up?
    To me you have a serious problem with travel and with the team's other prejudices, it makes solutions very difficult.
    Why would UMD even consider anything like that? They just won the National Championship, their 2nd in the last like 8 years, and they did it while in the toughest conference in the country, but yet would be ok giving up the situation that just paved the way for them to their 2nd championship?

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Honestly, there are too many unknowns at this point to come up with any suggested change that might improve things.. Other teams not in the mix might show up, some teams might close hockey altogether, etc. The timing right now to me is suspect and I don't think anything is going to happen for a while. But.. given that travel is the biggest issue, teams that are close might want to be at least talking. Such as maybe UMD and MTU/NMU. In fact might it make sense to trade UMD for Mankato? even up?
    To me you have a serious problem with travel and with the team's other prejudices, it makes solutions very difficult.
    Sure, but it's late June, and it's time to be silly. I think that you can come up with a number of reasonable scenarios based on what move starts the ball rolling.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• manurespreader
    replied

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    You'd be far better off as treating it as a two-division, 12-team conference, given that four teams are at least mildly shaky. (I mean, I think that UAH is on solid footing, but we're not rolling around in cash or anything.)

I've put some thought into this, but I haven't put it together...

GFM

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

it makes some sense to believe that WMU and Miami will be let out with MSU and ASU replacing them...which could leave two 6 team conferences...
    BSU, MTU, NMU, LSSU, UAH, UAA?
    FSU, WMU, BGSU, Miami, UAF, RMU?

I don't know, that doesn't work out that well I guess. It will never happen but it'd be nice if the western schools that need to fly everywhere anyone would join together...but I don't see CC, DU, or UNO wanting to be with ASU, UAA, UAF for any length of time.
    You'd be far better off as treating it as a two-division, 12-team conference, given that four teams are at least mildly shaky. (I mean, I think that UAH is on solid footing, but we're not rolling around in cash or anything.)

I've put some thought into this, but I haven't put it together...

GFM

Leave a comment:

• Shirtless Guy
    replied

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I see zero chance of this happening. The "separatists" have made it clear they have no interest in ever going to Alaska, Alabama, the UP, Northern "lower Michigan" or anywhere else they deem to beneath the stature of their programs. There is no way they would be able to put their egos aside and get back the former WCHA members any time in the near future. It would be like admitting they were wrong. The nacho teams will end up in a conference with Harvard, ASU, Puerto Rico and Oregon before they hop back into bed with MTU, Bemidji, NMU, Ferris, etc.

There is a better chance of the WCHA splitting and maybe picking up 1 or 2 more teams from somewhere else if teams are that concerned about geography (which I honestly don't think they are). Maybe a couple teams might have real money concerns, but I think for the 57 or so D-I teams, the cost of playing D-I hockey is what it is and they are not going to join/create a new conference to save $15,000 a year in travel costs. Raise ticket prices $1 each - problem solved.

Ryan
    it makes some sense to believe that WMU and Miami will be let out with MSU and ASU replacing them...which could leave two 6 team conferences...
    BSU, MTU, NMU, LSSU, UAH, UAA?
    FSU, WMU, BGSU, Miami, UAF, RMU?

I don't know, that doesn't work out that well I guess. It will never happen but it'd be nice if the western schools that need to fly everywhere anyone would join together...but I don't see CC, DU, or UNO wanting to be with ASU, UAA, UAF for any length of time.

Leave a comment:

• JohnsonsJerseys
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    When push comes to shove... WCHA 3.0 will be all teams west of Michigan plus one AK school.
    B1G and USAFA unchanged.
    I see zero chance of this happening. The "separatists" have made it clear they have no interest in ever going to Alaska, Alabama, the UP, Northern "lower Michigan" or anywhere else they deem to beneath the stature of their programs. There is no way they would be able to put their egos aside and get back the former WCHA members any time in the near future. It would be like admitting they were wrong. The nacho teams will end up in a conference with Harvard, ASU, Puerto Rico and Oregon before they hop back into bed with MTU, Bemidji, NMU, Ferris, etc.

There is a better chance of the WCHA splitting and maybe picking up 1 or 2 more teams from somewhere else if teams are that concerned about geography (which I honestly don't think they are). Maybe a couple teams might have real money concerns, but I think for the 57 or so D-I teams, the cost of playing D-I hockey is what it is and they are not going to join/create a new conference to save $15,000 a year in travel costs. Raise ticket prices $1 each - problem solved.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• gfmorris
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    When push comes to shove
    WCHA 3.0 will be all teams west of Michigan plus one AK school.
    CCHA 2.0 will be all teams east of Wisconsin plus one AK school.

B1G and USAFA unchanged.

It saves money and restores old rivalries which should help put fannies in the seats.
    What assurances do you have that UA* will be involved? That sorting involves some level of benevolence.

GFM

Leave a comment:

• davyd83
    replied
    I like the 19th because it reduces the penalty for an ejection and helps team that take a game ending injury.
    I’m with you. I’ve seen too many games where a player gets a game or even a 10, and a couple guys get nicked up and all of a sudden you’re at 14 or 15 healthy skaters. Especially when you have some players who are playing through an injury, then the fatigue factor really becomes an issue.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied

When push comes to shove
    WCHA 3.0 will be all teams west of Michigan plus one AK school.
    CCHA 2.0 will be all teams east of Wisconsin plus one AK school.

B1G and USAFA unchanged.

It saves money and restores old rivalries which should help put fannies in the seats.
    Last edited by joecct; 06-18-2018, 06:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X