Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conference

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #91
    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    I agree. Before one complains about external (league) things, they need to look at internal things, like attendance, ~2,300/game <50% of capacity per USCHO for 2017-2018 season. For Reference UA_ had fewer home games and a higher average ~2,400/game. By the numbers, one would thing BGSU in the bottom 4 last year and had no shot at playing for an NCAA tourney At Large bid. To my untrained eye, it appears to be a school/program issue, not a league issue.

    https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendan...men/2017-2018/
    Those numbers are a joke...

    If you believe that Alaska really had 2,400 fans at games I have some ocean front property here in Phoenix I'll sell you. I've seen them have about 300 people there on WCHA TV.

    BG has 2,000 season ticket holders, they go to pretty much all the games. That's why for a lousy opponent, when the students are out you'll see the attendance be around 2,000.
    For a "known" opponent when the students are on campus you'll see 4,000+, for a decent opponent with the students on campus you'll see around 3,000 to 3,500.

    You're actually just proving Bergeron's point. This is one of the reasons they want out......outside of Tech, nobody in the current WCHA moves the attendance needle in Northwest Ohio. The two home Tech games had 7,400 in total. Even Mankato, for all their success, is NOT a draw in BG.....and they want out too, so they really don't matter anyway.

    Comment


    • #92
      Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

      .
      so back in the CCHA days... who were the big draws for BGSU? how did the WMU and MU games play-out in bowling green as far as attendance?

      i still think a decent enough solution, as a tech fan, would be to trade MnSU & BSU (hockey schools) for WMU & MU (non-hockey schools - specially when considering the NACHO).

      and also making sure tech would play UMD, MnSU, BSU, UMn, SCSU, and UW on a regular basis as non-conference opponents.

      also BGSU would be a much better fit within the B1G then the NACHO.

      my two-&-a-half cents...
      .

      Comment


      • #93
        Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
        Those numbers are a joke...

        If you believe that Alaska really had 2,400 fans at games I have some ocean front property here in Phoenix I'll sell you. I've seen them have about 300 people there on WCHA TV.

        BG has 2,000 season ticket holders, they go to pretty much all the games. That's why for a lousy opponent, when the students are out you'll see the attendance be around 2,000.
        For a "known" opponent when the students are on campus you'll see 4,000+, for a decent opponent with the students on campus you'll see around 3,000 to 3,500.

        You're actually just proving Bergeron's point. This is one of the reasons they want out......outside of Tech, nobody in the current WCHA moves the attendance needle in Northwest Ohio. The two home Tech games had 7,400 in total. Even Mankato, for all their success, is NOT a draw in BG.....and they want out too, so they really don't matter anyway.
        I hate to break it to you but BG doesn’t move the attendance needle either for anybody outside of Ohio.

        Also, as someone who actually set foot inside the Carlson Center multiple times last season (as opposed to watching a ****ty web feed and jumping to conclusions from that), your assertion of 300 people at a game is laughable at best and insulting at worst to the people who are actually putting the effort in to reverse the attendance decline.

        The unfortunate fact is that outside of immediate rivalries (UAF/UAA, Tech/NMU, etc.) no WCHA fan base really cares much about the other schools in the conference, which is part of why almost every program has seen attendance lag since realignment.

        I hate the offseason.
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

        —UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

        Comment


        • #94
          Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

          Originally posted by BGDrew View Post
          With all due respect: the league championship trophy is sponsored by a maple syrup company. The conference isn’t buying a plane.
          They don't have to BUY a plane, just get a sponsor to pay for one.

          "...And remember fans, when your teams goes on the road, they're flying in style on "Bisquick One Fueled by Anderson's Maple Syrup" NCAA hockey's only conference chartered aircraft..."
          Ryan



          Or if we can't afford a jet, then we just make the best of what we have and fly at ground level...



          Or the league just mandates that each team host a pancake dinner fundraiser (topped with delicious Anderson's Pure Maple Syrup of course) before each home game with 75% of all profits going towards the league's aircraft leasing costs.
          Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 05-31-2018, 02:08 PM.
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

          Comment


          • #95
            Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

            BG’s “paid” season ticket numbers are closer to 850-900. With students that number probably goes up to the 1,500-2,000 range.
            Co-Founder/Editor of BGSUHockey.com

            Comment


            • #96
              Originally posted by giwan View Post
              He expects more money because expected bigger crowds?? Can't beat the bottom four is the issue or not enough points when you do so? Prepared to be in the bottom four in his new league?

              Suggest instead of complaints find solutions that lift all the teams.
              It's risk vs reward. Sweep the bottom 4 and the reward is you are probably still eligible to earn an at-large bid. Go 9-1 or 8-2, you're probably only getting in by winning the conference tourney.

              Lift all the teams? Where can one donate to their highly publicised fundraising campaign to ensure the future of their program?

              Comment


              • #97
                Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

                Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                It's risk vs reward. Sweep the bottom 4 and the reward is you are probably still eligible to earn an at-large bid. Go 9-1 or 8-2, you're probably only getting in by winning the conference tourney.

                Lift all the teams? Where can one donate to their highly publicised fundraising campaign to ensure the future of their program?
                well A. BG has been playing Ferris and NMU for a long time, and they don't get much in attendance from them. Shouldn't they. They've been playing WMU for a long time, same deal. the reason they draw for Tech is that Tech fans travel.

                Personally this would all be a moot point if the bottom three teams won a few ooc games. Maybe we as a league can help them do that.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

                It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

                Comment


                • #98
                  Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

                  Originally posted by bravohankins View Post
                  Those numbers are a joke...

                  If you believe that Alaska really had 2,400 fans at games I have some ocean front property here in Phoenix I'll sell you. I've seen them have about 300 people there on WCHA TV.
                  You appear to be one of the learned hockey fans that does not know the difference between "Alaska" and "Alaska-Anchorage". I thought you Kentucky boys were smarter than that.
                  "Who got the Cup?"
                  UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAA UAA UAA UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF UAF

                  Comment


                  • #99
                    Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

                    Can we just agree that none of the teams in this hack conference really care about each other?

                    Comment


                    • Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

                      Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Can we just agree that none of the teams in this hack conference really care about each other?
                      I love when Tech comes to Mankato. You bring a lot of fans who bring a lot of fun.

                      And I thought we were starting to get a nice rivalry going with Bowling Green, but I guess not, since apparently nobody in B1G and MAC country cares about us.
                      My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by MavsFan View Post
                        I love when Tech comes to Mankato. You bring a lot of fans who bring a lot of fun.

                        And I thought we were starting to get a nice rivalry going with Bowling Green, but I guess not, since apparently nobody in B1G and MAC country cares about us.
                        Yea, Minnesota State cares about BG and the WCHA. So much so that they have been trying for 2 years or more to get in the NCHC. Both schools are just trying to look out for themselves. There are eight D1 college hockey teams closer to BG than our nearest WCHA rival Ferris State. Just like Minnesota State is closer to Duluth and most other NCHC teams than BG. I enjoy the games with Minnesota State more than than other WCHA teams because our series has been so even and hard fought. But, I am not the typical college hockey fan. I am a diehard college hockey fan.

                        Comment


                        • Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

                          Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                          It’s actually my wife’s preferred maple syrup and probably the best out there for the real stuff and it’s available throughout the conference
                          I've never seen it, and last I checked, we hadn't been thrown out ...

                          GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

                          Comment


                          • Re: WCHA 2018 Off-Season: Nobody's Walking Out On This Old-Fashioned Hockey Conferenc

                            .
                            since i can't do attachments... for whatever its worth;

                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r3-...ew?usp=sharing
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_nK...ew?usp=sharing
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xtC...ew?usp=sharing
                            https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AGi...ew?usp=sharing
                            .

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              I've never seen it, and last I checked, we hadn't been thrown out ...

                              GFM
                              I don’t know what you have in Huntsville but they list multiple places in the “South.” That sell the stuff: http://andersonsmaplesyrup.com/index.php?pg=ms&page=storelocator#south
                              Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                              Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                              Comment


                              • Map 1: What happened to Big Rapids?
                                Map 4: A dagger in the heart of college hockey!
                                CCT '77 & '78
                                4 kids
                                5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                                1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

                                ”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                                - Benjamin Franklin

                                Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

                                I want to live forever. So far, so good.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X