Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Bryce Luker.....?
    The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by walktheline View Post
      Bryce Luker.....?
      Unfortunately since I didn't have any of his Tech jerseys, I had to make another choice.

I decided to go with Tony Esposito. For whatever reason, Tony hasn't remained close to Huskies Hockey, but in spite of this, his jersey was an easy choice for our last day before the first game puck drop. Since I'm writing this from the road on my lunch break (the Culver's in Forest Lake, MN did not disappoint) I'm just going to go with a bit of a cut and past job from my website. - Enjoy!

Like some of the other rare items in the collection, this jersey was found on Ebay. It was acquired from a vintage clothing dealer in the Chicago area. The jersey was listed as a 1950s or 1960s "Western Michigan Huskies Hockey Jersey". This is the second MTU jersey I've picked up which was listed as Western Michigan. Aside from people thinking that every college team in Michigan is the Wolverines, I'm not sure why Huskies jerseys seem to turn up as Western Michigan.

One item about this jersey that caught my eye right away was the crest and the way the "H" is standing alone from "uskies". I had never seen this crest style before on a jersey or in photographs. There is no tagging left in the jersey that hints at the manufacturer. The only remaining tag is a "48" which is beginning to come apart and the "8" is only partially present.

The big break in researching this jersey came from fellow MTU alumni. I shared photos of the jersey with the MTU alumni newsletter and asked if anyone had memories or photos of a similar style. Two key photos were submitted by readers. The first was a 1967 Michigan Tech yearbook photo showing Tony Esposito wearing a jersey with the separated "H" crest with a black outline. This photo is important because it also showed a defect in the cresting's black outline on the left side of the letter "k". A second photo of a similar #19 gold jersey confirmed the photo match. The #19 jersey did not have the same defect making the jersey in question a match to the Esposito yearbook photo.

While the previous owner had purchased the jersey from an estate sale and had no previous history of the jersey, the fact that it turned up in Chicago is not a surprise given Tony's long career with the Chicago Blackhawks and his strong alumni ties to the organization.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Figured it would be Tony O.

Comment

Honestly my only other option was Looch. Still a sweet jersey that I begged the owner to sell me for many years, but he's no Tony, and the back story isn't nearly as cool.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

When did they change the nickname from H uskies to Huskies?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              Many years ago, a memo went out from University Marketing & Communications that when using the full name of the Institution, one should never abbreviate "Technological" to "Tech".
              That was one of Mroz's hangups. I guess he's never heard of MIT, Georgia Tech or Cal Tech. Now that he's gone, we should go back to using Tech and the stacked MTU logo. Michigan Technological University makes a lousy bumper sticker.
              "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
              Abe Lincoln

Comment

Isn't it time for a new thread?
                "Don't believe everything you read on the Internet"
                Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Burnt Orange Husky View Post
                  That was one of Mroz's hangups. I guess he's never heard of MIT, Georgia Tech or Cal Tech. Now that he's gone, we should go back to using Tech and the stacked MTU logo. Michigan Technological University makes a lousy bumper sticker.
                  Except for Michigan Tech no logical University

Comment

Working...
                  X