Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

    Mix93 will air a half hour Michigan Tech hockey offseason update show with Joe Shawhan on Monday morning at 9amEDT.

    Comment


    • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

      Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
      Mix93 will air a half hour Michigan Tech hockey offseason update show with Joe Shawhan on Monday morning at 9amEDT.
      I have to wait until Monday?

      Just set a reminder on my phone. The withdrawal symptoms are real. October needs to get here soon.

      Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

      Comment


      • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

        Looks like Tech plays @ Sconnie Oct. 26/27th.

        Comment


        • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

          Do we know who the 4th team at the GLI this year will be?

          EDIT: NVM, looks like it will be Lake State.
          Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 05-02-2018, 05:02 PM.

          Comment


          • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

            Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Do we know who the 4th team at the GLI this year will be?
            yes...sigh
            next three starting with this coming season are:
            LSSU
            FSU
            NMU
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

            Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              yes...sigh
              next three starting with this coming season are:
              LSSU
              FSU
              NMU
              I assume the sigh means you're thankful BG isn't on your list ;-)

              Comment


              • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

                Originally posted by TalonsUpPuckDown View Post
                I assume the sigh means you're thankful BG isn't on your list ;-)
                Haha, I just see no PWR value in the 4th team being a WCHA opponent. If it had to be someone close, Id prefer it be Western...
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                Comment


                • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

                  Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  Haha, I just see no PWR value in the 4th team being a WCHA opponent. If it had to be someone close, I’d prefer it be Western...
                  Agreed, it annoys me as well, but if it brings in an extra few hundred fans over booking an eastern team, then I suppose it's worth it. Western and Northern have had decent contingents.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

                    Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                    yes...sigh
                    next three starting with this coming season are:
                    LSSU
                    FSU
                    NMU
                    I think it is about high time we just change the name of the GLI to "Tech vs CCHA Alumni from Michigan Invitational".
                    More non-conference conference games. Yeah! (Not.)

                    Honestly Tech needs to stop looking at this tourney from simply an attendance stand point at look at it as an opportunity to get two valuable non-conference wins every Christmas. The WCHA as a whole isn't helping Tech make the tourney and you don't want to have to count on winning the Maple Syrup Cup every Spring to make the NCAA tourney. If you lose $10,000 on the tourney, because you invite an AH/ECAC/HE team that doesn't have a good fan base, but you get a key win that helps you in the PWR, in the long run that is just the cost of building a winner.

                    Do you think UND gripes and complains about the fact that they have to put forth the effort and man power to run an NCAA regional nearly every single year, or do you think they look at it as an opportunity to basically have a two-game home playoff series to advance to the Frozen Four almost every year?

                    Ryan
                    Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 05-03-2018, 07:39 AM.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

                      Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      I think it is about high time we just change the name of the GLI to "Tech vs CCHA Alumni from Michigan Invitational".
                      More non-conference conference games. Yeah! (Not.)

                      Honestly Tech needs to stop looking at this tourney from simply an attendance stand point at look at it as an opportunity to get two valuable non-conference wins every Christmas. The WCHA as a whole isn't helping Tech make the tourney and you don't want to have to count on winning the Maple Syrup Cup every Spring to make the NCAA tourney. If you lose $10,000 on the tourney, because you invite an AH/ECAC/HE team that doesn't have a good fan base, but you get a key win that helps you in the PWR, in the long run that is just the cost of building a winner.

                      Do you think UND gripes and complains about the fact that they have to put forth the effort and man power to run an NCAA regional nearly every single year, or do you think they look at it as an opportunity to basically have a two-game home playoff series to advance to the Frozen Four almost every year?

                      Ryan
                      Agree 100%

                      The 4th team being a WCHA team is just bad scheduling. It adds no value to the PWR, which needs to be priority #1 in non conference scheduling. If the want attendance, then make Western the permanent 4th team.
                      Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

                      RIP - Kirby

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by bigblue_dl View Post
                        Agree 100%

                        The 4th team being a WCHA team is just bad scheduling. It adds no value to the PWR, which needs to be priority #1 in non conference scheduling. If the want attendance, then make Western the permanent 4th team.
                        From reading the WMU message boards, I think they'd sign up for that deal in a heartbeat.

                        Comment


                        • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

                          Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          I think it is about high time we just change the name of the GLI to "Tech vs CCHA Alumni from Michigan Invitational".
                          More non-conference conference games. Yeah! (Not.)

                          Honestly Tech needs to stop looking at this tourney from simply an attendance stand point at look at it as an opportunity to get two valuable non-conference wins every Christmas. The WCHA as a whole isn't helping Tech make the tourney and you don't want to have to count on winning the Maple Syrup Cup every Spring to make the NCAA tourney. If you lose $10,000 on the tourney, because you invite an AH/ECAC/HE team that doesn't have a good fan base, but you get a key win that helps you in the PWR, in the long run that is just the cost of building a winner.

                          Do you think UND gripes and complains about the fact that they have to put forth the effort and man power to run an NCAA regional nearly every single year, or do you think they look at it as an opportunity to basically have a two-game home playoff series to advance to the Frozen Four almost every year?

                          Ryan
                          How does North Dakota hosting a regional equate to a holiday tournament? There isn't any comparison there.

                          The PWR problem right now comes from Michigan State being a doormat for the better part of a decade right now. If the Spartans were where they have been historically, that solves the problem. And what makes you think that teams are beating down the door to come in and risk their own PWR in Detroit? That list is not excessively long in any season.

                          Comment


                          • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

                            Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                            How does North Dakota hosting a regional equate to a holiday tournament? There isn't any comparison there.

                            The PWR problem right now comes from Michigan State being a doormat for the better part of a decade right now. If the Spartans were where they have been historically, that solves the problem. And what makes you think that teams are beating down the door to come in and risk their own PWR in Detroit? That list is not excessively long in any season.
                            Sorry but I call BS, there have to be multiple eastern teams that want a guaranteed game against Michigan/Michigan State in a given year, with the chance to play MTU/MSU/Michigan in the other. Tournaments are huge loophole to flipping comparisons in PWR. There was a long history of the GLI having a pretty good 4th team from another conference...and the occasional WCHA team. Now its all close teams and the only teams near by are WCHA/B1G and there isn't going to be a 3rd B1G team...

                            Since I started following that tournament has included UND, CC, BU, BC, UNH, Harvard, Providence, RPI, and WMU. All of those are preferable to a WCHA team in the current situation.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

                            Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

                            Comment


                            • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

                              Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                              Sorry but I call BS, there have to be multiple eastern teams that want a guaranteed game against Michigan/Michigan State in a given year, with the chance to play MTU/MSU/Michigan in the other. Tournaments are huge loophole to flipping comparisons in PWR. There was a long history of the GLI having a pretty good 4th team from another conference...and the occasional WCHA team. Now its all close teams and the only teams near by are WCHA/B1G and there isn't going to be a 3rd B1G team...

                              Since I started following that tournament has included UND, CC, BU, BC, UNH, Harvard, Providence, RPI, and WMU. All of those are preferable to a WCHA team in the current situation.
                              Home games and the gate $$$$ are all too important now for "Power Teams". Unless you can guarantee a payout equal or more to what they would receive from hosting a weekend of home games, these "Power Teams" aren't going to travel anymore.
                              Millsy

                              NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                              FROZEN FOUR 2009!


                              "Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

                              BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                              NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                              NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                              NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                              NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                              Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                              Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

                              Comment


                              • Re: Michigan Tech 2018 Off-season - The Next Step is Just Inches Away...

                                Originally posted by beaverhockeyfan View Post
                                Home games and the gate $$$$ are all too important now for "Power Teams". Unless you can guarantee a payout equal or more to what they would receive from hosting a weekend of home games, these "Power Teams" aren't going to travel anymore.
                                They do for tournaments though.
                                Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

                                RIP - Kirby

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X