Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

So, is tBob and company going to add #6 this year or what?
    National Champions: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003

Comment

No
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

He wasn't left much to work with, but with his Ranta pickup and the badly needed fresh voice it's possible they end up in Big Ten contention and trying to win a couple games at tournament time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
          He wasn't left much to work with, but with his Ranta pickup and the badly needed fresh voice it's possible they end up in Big Ten contention and trying to win a couple games at tournament time.
          But Ranta is a third rounder, yes? That should have fans streaming through the gates at Mariucci, right? Or is that only for the first rounders? I get confused sometimes
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rabid Gopher View Post
            So, is tBob and company going to add #6 this year or what?
            I think a lot of success this season will depend on how the players respond to new leadership. If they buy into Motzko and the coaching staff's style and systems, this year's roster could surprise and have a deep run in the tournament. There's some interesting talent coming in. Returning players have something to prove coming off a down year in scoring. Under Motzko, I think the Gophers will be an energized, disciplined and aggressive team around the net.

Comment

Maybe more than two or three guys will check somebody?

Comment

SOG and Gs were down last season partially due to playing it safe far too much (especially at the beginning of last season) with a dump/chase, forecheck and cycle system. I'm hoping Motzko will stress more controlled zone entry vs. a safe dump and chase.

Found this bar graph showing NHL teams carry-in and dump and chase vs. goals scored. Graph indicates that when a team carries the puck into the offensive zone, they produce twice as much offense per entry than if they were to dump it in. It doesn't mean carrying the puck is always effective, especially during line changes. But in terms of scoring, the controlled offensive zone entry is king.

Comment

Isn't that obvious, though? If a team isn't good enough for a controlled entry, they're going to have to dump it in. Better teams will carry it in more, and better teams will score more.

Comment

Every coach teaches controlled entry. It's not a question of being talented enough, it's about strategy and execution with the right line combos and entry playbook.

Wild were under .500 in 2011-12 and missed the playoffs, but their execution on controlled zone entry wasn't bad at all and resulted in a 200% inc. in goal scoring.

Comment

Sorry but there was definitely a talent/depth issue last year.

Comment

No. Talent was there, depth was a slight issue on D. Strategy and execution (inc. PP) were the main problematic issues that I saw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                          Sorry but there was definitely a talent/depth issue last year.
                          For the Wild? Depth was definitely not an issue. Injuries were an issue.

Nino (broken leg)
                          Coyle (broken leg, wrist tendons)
                          Spurgeon (hamstring)
                          Parise (back, sternum)
                          Brodin (broken hand)
                          Kunin (ACL)
                          Suter (ankle)

They had that many key injuries and still put up 100+ points.

Edit: disregard my post if you’re referring to the gophers.
                          Last edited by digitalbooya; 08-22-2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Thursday was the 25th birthday for Mariucci Arena.

Some "here's your offseason Gopher hockey fix" highlights from years past:

HIGHLIGHT 1
                            HIGHLIGHT 2
                            HIGHLIGHT 3
                            HIGHLIGHT 4

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

HIGHLIGHT 1
                              HIGHLIGHT 2
                              HIGHLIGHT 3
                              HIGHLIGHT 4
                              Makes me even more anxious for the season to start!
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post

HIGHLIGHT 1
                                HIGHLIGHT 2
                                HIGHLIGHT 3
                                HIGHLIGHT 4
                                There's optimism, there's wild-eyed optimism, and then there is the kind of optimism that led those refs to think they could conduct a handshake line in Highlight 1

Comment

Working...
                                X