Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Oh come on. You missed the Sue Grafton joke?

Sheeeesh
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Oh come on. You missed the Sue Grafton joke?

Sheeeesh
      Aahh . . . that's a bad one, isn't it?
      Last edited by burd; 07-07-2018, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
        You mean percentage? I'd guess UND has gone from 101% (Minny students who will sneak in and stand to see good hockey) at the old Ralph to 9? percent at the new.
        Yes. I know MN isn't the best, I don't care. But that *is* the true measure, IMO.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
          Yes. I know MN isn't the best, I don't care. But that *is* the true measure, IMO.
          Measure of what? I'd agree that a 5k capacity rink with 4,500 in it is a lot more fun that a 14k rink with 7k in it. But % isn't the best measure of the strength of the fan base. A school in a city of 200k might only have enough fans to fill a 4k seats regardless of arena capacity.

That said, hockey is a niche sport, and a rink doesn't have to be big to have a great fan base. I've never been to a game in Bemidji, but I'd guess it's a fun hockey experience most weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
            Measure of what? I'd agree that a 5k capacity rink with 4,500 in it is a lot more fun that a 14k rink with 7k in it. But % isn't the best measure of the strength of the fan base. A school in a city of 200k might only have enough fans to fill a 4k seats regardless of arena capacity.

That said, hockey is a niche sport, and a rink doesn't have to be big to have a great fan base. I've never been to a game in Bemidji, but I'd guess it's a fun hockey experience most weekends.
            This is what I am getting at.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by burd View Post
              Hey! They have Grafton. Have you never been to Grafton?
              My former boss at USDA (she now works at UND) is from Grafton.
              CCT '77 & '78
              4 kids
              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                I dislike total attendance, due to the massive variance in size of arenas. I prefer capacity attendance. Example: 4000 in a 4400 arena > 7000 in a 10000 arena.
                I suspect the overall variance in arena sizes would not present any violations of homogeneity of variance, so that's insignificant. That can also be controlled in a regression analysis without any issues. I didn't post to make that comparison though. I wanted to see the Gophers and BU's Capacity % over a few seasons as a reflection of their respective decrease and increase in program revenue.

If Total Attendance in each of the three seasons is Total Tickets Sold (TTS) (which I suspected it is), then TTS is the IV, and the DV is TTS/Venue Capacity or Capacity %.

Gathering data on "scanned tickets" is a noisy variable. Variance explained by various factorials vs mean "scanned tickets" would need to be identified and controlled. Surveys like the one done by GPL which indicated Gopher season ticket holders were "no shows" mainly because they don't like the B1G help identify those factorials. The variable that explains the highest variance can be revisited later through a mean comparison with TTS.

IMO, the Capacity % comparison over three seasons, which indicates declining sales revenue for the Gopher hockey program, allows a researcher to validly determine the regressive state of the fanbase and why based upon actual tickets sold and identified factorials without internal validity issues. Make sense?
                Last edited by SteveO; 07-08-2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Remember the announcement by the NCAA last month that the shootout is DEAD? Well, wait a minute....hit the brakes.

The NCAA men's and women's ice hockey rules committee, which last month proposed eliminating 3X3 OTs and shootouts in favor of leaving games tied after a 5 min., 5X5 OT might not be the final word after all on OT formats.

The committee yesterday introduced an amended version of the original proposal since head coaches in the NCHC and WCHA appealed the former ruling based upon their 18-0 vote last April in Florida in favor of continuing to use the 3X3 OT format.

“The process has always allowed for reconsideration,” said committee chair Joe Bertagna, commissioner of the Hockey East Association. “The membership was given the chance to comment after our initial work was made public. The committee had the benefit of time to consider all ramifications of its work. In short, the system worked.”
                  The NEW OT rules proposal released yesterday:

1) Teams will play a normal 60 minute regulation game

2) Teams will be required to play 5 minutes of 5x5 OT. The outcome after this result will be the result used for pairwise calculations. ALL non-conference games will end at this point and will be a tie if no goals are scored after 5 minutes of OT.

3) For conference games only, individual conferences will be allowed to then let teams play for extra conference points via either a 5 minute 3x3 OT and then advance to a shootout if the game remains tied (What the NCHC and WCHA men used previously) OR go directly to a shootout (What the Big Ten/WCHA women did).

4) For in-season tournaments any of the approved OT formats will be fine, or you can play 20 minute sudden death OT until there is a winner. That will be the tournament organizer’s discretion.

5) No changes to postseason OT rules. You play 20 minute 5x5 periods until someone scores.

The NCAA Playing Rules and Oversight Panel meets next Wed. (25th) to vote on the final proposal. If it passes then the only OT change from a year ago is all non-conference games are done after 5 minutes of 5x5 OT.

Some feel the 5 min. 5X5 OT ending in a tie is too boring. For the entertainment value, I think the 3X3 OT format is a pretty cool compromise. My guess is we'll see a 5 min. 3X3 OT in the B1G this coming season. In either case, the SHOOTOUT IS BACK FROM THE DEAD!!
                  Last edited by SteveO; 07-20-2018, 03:43 AM.

Comment

Rumors of Bell being on the way out. Explains the over-recruiting as there will be a lot of weeding out.

Gernander would be nice if he's not doing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                      Rumors of Bell being on the way out. Explains the over-recruiting as there will be a lot of weeding out.
                      Whoa, if true, that's a shocker, and Motzko better right the ship soon!
                      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

I’ve heard from a number of hockey alums that Motzko is getting them heavily engaged in the program. They’re all very excited since Lucia never really engaged them. It wasn’t his style.

I heard some stats about how many former players have season tickets and it was insanely low. They’re trying to fix that.
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                          Whoa, if true, that's a shocker, and Motzko better right the ship soon!
                          It's not a shocker at all it sounds like it was well known a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            It's not a shocker at all it sounds like it was well known a long time ago.
                            I didn't know about it "a long time ago", so to me - now - it comes as a shocker.
                            Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              I didn't know about it "a long time ago", so to me - now - it comes as a shocker.
                              Regarding your, "right the ship" remark - this wasn't a last minute decision by Bell nor Motzko so I don't think it needs to be viewed as a sign that things are shaky in Dinkeytown is what I'm getting at.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                I’ve heard from a number of hockey alums that Motzko is getting them heavily engaged in the program. They’re all very excited since Lucia never really engaged them. It wasn’t his style.

I heard some stats about how many former players have season tickets and it was insanely low. They’re trying to fix that.
                                Correct on Lucia. From what I know, he's a massive introvert, didn't like dealing with people unless he had to. Not a glad-handling type of coach at all. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you can coach well, which he did.

Comment

Working...
                                X