Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Say goodbye to shootouts (ARTICLE). Good riddance??

The one exception where shoot outs can still occur is in semifinals of regular season tournaments where a victor is needed to determine who advances. Tournaments will have two options, either a shootout after the 5 minute 5x5 OT, or just like in the playoffs full 20-minute 5x5 sudden death overtime periods.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
      Good riddance??
      Yes! I am not personally offended when I leave the arena with the game ended in a tie.
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
        17k+? I don't underestimate Whioux fans anymore, they are nuts. But that's a big arena to sell out.....
        UND is what, 12K? UM is 10K? Add those up, AND add the "hey let's make this a vacation!" You'd sell out.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

If only that's how the math actually worked. Barely 6K showed up to every game in MPLS, let alone making a trip to Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
            If only that's how the math actually worked. Barely 6K showed up to every game in MPLS, let alone making a trip to Vegas.
            With Mariucci attendance down last season, it's hard to imagine hoards of Gopher fans making that trip.

In other news Will goal scoring increase for the Gophers in 2017-18 and which players will need to step up and do it? Sheehy had a down year in scoring last season.

Gopher ranked 36th out of 60 teams in goal scoring in 2017-18 (2016-17/7th, 2015-16/15th).

Top Ten Goal Scoring Teams in 2017-18 (GP, G, G/GP)

Minnesota State: 40, 153, 3.83
            St. Cloud State: 40, 144, 3.60
            Penn State: 38, 138. 3.63
            Michigan: 40, 136, 3.40
            Northeastern: 38, 136, 3.58
            Denver: 41, 135, 3.29
            Michigan Tech: 44, 134, 3.05
            Minnesota-Duluth:: 44, 132, 3.00
            Ohio State: 41, 131, 3.20
            Princeton: 36, 131, 3.64

Comment

You have to add in the vacation/special occasion factor. $100 here would not fly for casual fan. But now you're in Vegas, a weekend vacation? That budget increases....
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                Say goodbye to shootouts (ARTICLE). Good riddance??
                THANK GOD!

a
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I've never been to Vegas. There must be a reason why.

Regarding goal scoring I'm optimistic the Gophs will improve on last year's dismal offense, if only due to the coaching change (see where SCSU finished in SteveO's list above).

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    I've never been to Vegas. There must be a reason why.

Regarding goal scoring I'm optimistic the Gophs will improve on last year's dismal offense, if only due to the coaching change (see where SCSU finished in SteveO's list above).
                    Out of curiosity I looked at SCSU's NCAA rank in goal scoring over past three seasons (2017-18/2nd, 2016-17/29th, 2015-16/2nd).

You may recall the outstanding 2015-16 goal scoring season Michigan had with the CCM (Compher, Connor, Motte) line scoring 83 goals (48%) of their nation leading 181 goals. SCSU trailed as #2 that season by only 7 goals, but tied Michigan for #1 in pts.

Maybe some of the SCSU fans can correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like Motzko's offensive coaching style centers on aggressively storming the net. That's something we desperately need.

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
                      17k+? I don't underestimate Whioux fans anymore, they are nuts. But that's a big arena to sell out.....
                      No cost is too great to get out of hell.....er.....grand forks for a weekend.

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                      And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                      Twenty red lights in his honor
                      Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Greyeagle View Post
                        No cost is too great to get out of hell.....er.....grand forks for a weekend.
                        Which got me wondering, what percentage of UND players decide to stay in 'hell' after their playing days are over?

Comment

Which got me wondering, what percentage of UND players decide to stay in 'hell' after their playing days are over?
                          They did a study. Minnesotans head immediately back to Minnesota, where they can feel smarter and better looking again.

Comment

Overall, generally most people leave Fargo or Grand Forks and either head to the Twin Cities or Denver for careers. They are pretty much the closest major metro areas.

Comment

STH base is down to less than 4500...

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                Overall, generally most people leave Fargo or Grand Forks and either head to the Twin Cities or Denver for careers. They are pretty much the closest major metro areas.
                                Mpls will always get more grads than other cites—a lot of friends and family there and a familiar culture overall. I think the second tier of Denver/LA is changing. Places like Charlotte, Atlanta, and Houston are attracting more midwesterners all the time. Denver still has the oil and gas connection, which affects a lot of Nodaks.

Comment

Working...
                                X