X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koho
    replied
    Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Anybody looking for 4 tickets to the game in Duluth? Might be getting rid of mine. I looked at the schedule and saw the game in Duluth was first so assumed it was Friday, which was perfect since a couple I work with and have been friends with for 25 year are having a duel retirement party Saturday. When I got online I saw it was Saturday and completely forgot about the party and bought the Tix. I will still go if I can't sell them, so am only interested in selling for face value and all four. But thought I'd ask here. I do have a 'friend' (I put in quotes because he is a Bulldogs fan) who might know someone. I don't get many chances to go to games, so if I sell them, the weather better be nice, the jerk from work better not be there, and it better be a good party (will partly be determined by the jerk not being there).

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Potulny always struck me as being very smart, and from Blue Line Club chalk talks it was very obvious that he had great insight and really understood the game. I have no idea how Klatt would compare in this regard, but I agree that Potulny was the exception and that very few young candidates - Klatt or otherwise - would equal or surpass what Grant was able to bring to the table.

Leave a comment:

• SteveO
    replied

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    So on here and GPL in the past, I have seen Trent Klatt's name thrown around as an assistant coach some would like to see. I'm not sure I am in favor of that. Trent is a great guy who really can relate to younger players well. As a head scout, he obviously has a feel for young talent coming up. He has played at every level. But he has only 2 years of coaching at the high school level so far. Yes. He won the state tourney, but he also had probably the best line in the state, two of the better goalies in the state and some decent defensemen and second line forwards. While not deep, the team was stacked at the top. So I am not sure I would say he has proven himself as a coach enough yet to take the chance on him as an assistant. There is a lot to learn in any new position and someone going to one of he top programs seems like should have more experience. Although I would love to see him coach elsewhere, do well, and end up at the Gophers eventually.

And yes, Potulny was new to coaching when he came in, but the impression I got was that there was a lot of learning on the job. Seems best to have coaches learn elsewwhere, and once they prove themselves, move on to the Gophs. But I guess we'll see. Seems strange to go this long without a full coaching crew.
    I think Potulny was the exception. As a player, he was the only three-year alternate/captain (2) on the Gophers since 1947 which included two NC teams, one of which he scored the winning OT goal. Lucia was very familiar with his character and work ethic and his success as a player/captain offset his lack of coaching experience.

If a guy with Potulny's resume as a player was hired as an asst. by Motzko for on the job training, I'd be fine with that. Klatt? Different story, I'd like to see more coaching experience. I suspect the delay in hiring another asst. is looking for a good fit with the right M guy.
    Last edited by SteveO; 09-20-2018, 08:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

So on here and GPL in the past, I have seen Trent Klatt's name thrown around as an assistant coach some would like to see. I'm not sure I am in favor of that. Trent is a great guy who really can relate to younger players well. As a head scout, he obviously has a feel for young talent coming up. He has played at every level. But he has only 2 years of coaching at the high school level so far. Yes. He won the state tourney, but he also had probably the best line in the state, two of the better goalies in the state and some decent defensemen and second line forwards. While not deep, the team was stacked at the top. So I am not sure I would say he has proven himself as a coach enough yet to take the chance on him as an assistant. There is a lot to learn in any new position and someone going to one of he top programs seems like should have more experience. Although I would love to see him coach elsewhere, do well, and end up at the Gophers eventually.

And yes, Potulny was new to coaching when he came in, but the impression I got was that there was a lot of learning on the job. Seems best to have coaches learn elsewwhere, and once they prove themselves, move on to the Gophs. But I guess we'll see. Seems strange to go this long without a full coaching crew.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
    Gophers opening game Oct. 6th against the Bulldogs will be broadcast on MY 9 in Duluth, and FOX 9+ in the Twin Cities.
    Also for anyone making the trip to Duluth the Gopher women take on the Dogs at 3:00pm, so if you'd like you can make it a doubleheader.

Leave a comment:

• SteveO
    replied

Originally posted by Koho View Post
    Saw something on GPL this might not be official yet? And while I liked McAlpine as a player, and he should have some traits to be able to work with prospective players, I would have liked a little more coaching experience. Time will tell.

On the other hand, just splurged on tickets to Duluth game in Duluth. Hopefully the Gophs play a better game than the one last year, so I can feel like I got money's worth.
    Yep...hit the brakes for now. The latest is Chris McAlpine as Asst. is not a done deal. Apparently no contract has been signed. It may or may not happen. ARTICLE

Gophers opening game Oct. 6th against the Bulldogs will be broadcast on MY 9 in Duluth, and FOX 9+ in the Twin Cities.

Leave a comment:

• burd
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's interesting as Motzko always tried to keep a clean, finesse game at SCSU. McAlpine...not so much.
    Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    He has never coached so how can you say this... Anyways, I'm very excited to have a guy like him on the staff. Gophers have been SOFT for way too many years.

Would have liked a former forward on the staff but let's see how it goes.
    Motzko recruited a lot of high end talent at SCSU and was able to play the finesse game, but I always thought his teams could play a tough, gritty game too. Gopher teams usually had even more talent, but they did seem to lack that gritty edge that wins battles in the corners and the crease. And won't accept defeat.

Looks like some bright days ahead for gopher hockey. Not as bright as UND, Parise willing.

Leave a comment:

• Koho
    replied

Originally posted by goofy gopher View Post
    If he helps out on special teams as some here have referenced he was a very good special teamer as a player with gophs and nhl. All American. Hellavu shot from the point. Like alot of the great gophers dmen they can operate the point and work that power play.
    Saw something on GPL this might not be official yet? And while I liked McAlpine as a player, and he should have some traits to be able to work with prospective players, I would have liked a little more coaching experience. Time will tell.

On the other hand, just splurged on tickets to Duluth game in Duluth. Hopefully the Gophs play a better game than the one last year, so I can feel like I got money's worth.

Leave a comment:

• goofy gopher
    replied

If he helps out on special teams as some here have referenced he was a very good special teamer as a player with gophs and nhl. All American. Hellavu shot from the point. Like alot of the great gophers dmen they can operate the point and work that power play.

Leave a comment:

• Slap Shot
    replied

While McAlpine loved to hit he had 53 pts in 77 games his final two years including 26 goals so he's not completely oblivious to that aspect of the game.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    He has never coached so how can you say this... Anyways, I'm very excited to have a guy like him on the staff. Gophers have been SOFT for way too many years.

Yes, McAlpine is going to coach in a fashion of Don't Do What Donny Don't Did.

Leave a comment:

• Bonin21
    replied

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's interesting as Motzko always tried to keep a clean, finesse game at SCSU. McAlpine...not so much.

Leave a comment:

• SCBlueLiner
    replied

Thursday was the 25th birthday for Mariucci Arena.

Some "here's your offseason Gopher hockey fix" highlights from years past:

HIGHLIGHT 1
    HIGHLIGHT 2
    HIGHLIGHT 3
    HIGHLIGHT 4

Highlight 1, I remember that game, kind of. Hammered down PBR tall boys at Stub & Herb's before the game and was doing shots with UND fans at Sally's afterwards. Fun night! That was 10 years ago? Dang, time has flown.

Leave a comment:

• St. Clown
    replied

Alumnus...check. His most notable achievement for the Gophers? McAlpine is the all-time career penalties leader with 208. He ranks second in penalty minutes with 453, 20 short of Matt DeMarchi.

Interesting hire by Motzko. He has plenty of gritty player experience on the blueline, but no coaching experience. I assume he'll handle special teams in place of Bell.

Leave a comment:

• ThePowerConference
    replied

The one memory I have from McAlpine was when he lost his helmet and just kept cruising around the ice without it like nothing ever happened. This was obviously years ago when they didn't stop the play because of a player losing his helmet.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X