Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

    Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    It's interesting as Motzko always tried to keep a clean, finesse game at SCSU. McAlpine...not so much.
    Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
    He has never coached so how can you say this... Anyways, I'm very excited to have a guy like him on the staff. Gophers have been SOFT for way too many years.

    Would have liked a former forward on the staff but let's see how it goes.
    Motzko recruited a lot of high end talent at SCSU and was able to play the finesse game, but I always thought his teams could play a tough, gritty game too. Gopher teams usually had even more talent, but they did seem to lack that gritty edge that wins battles in the corners and the crease. And won't accept defeat.

    Looks like some bright days ahead for gopher hockey. Not as bright as UND, Parise willing.

    Comment


    • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

      Originally posted by Koho View Post
      Saw something on GPL this might not be official yet? And while I liked McAlpine as a player, and he should have some traits to be able to work with prospective players, I would have liked a little more coaching experience. Time will tell.

      On the other hand, just splurged on tickets to Duluth game in Duluth. Hopefully the Gophs play a better game than the one last year, so I can feel like I got money's worth.
      Yep...hit the brakes for now. The latest is Chris McAlpine as Asst. is not a done deal. Apparently no contract has been signed. It may or may not happen. ARTICLE

      Gophers opening game Oct. 6th against the Bulldogs will be broadcast on MY 9 in Duluth, and FOX 9+ in the Twin Cities.

      Comment


      • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

        Originally posted by SteveO View Post
        Gophers opening game Oct. 6th against the Bulldogs will be broadcast on MY 9 in Duluth, and FOX 9+ in the Twin Cities.
        Also for anyone making the trip to Duluth the Gopher women take on the Dogs at 3:00pm, so if you'd like you can make it a doubleheader.
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

        Comment


        • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

          So on here and GPL in the past, I have seen Trent Klatt's name thrown around as an assistant coach some would like to see. I'm not sure I am in favor of that. Trent is a great guy who really can relate to younger players well. As a head scout, he obviously has a feel for young talent coming up. He has played at every level. But he has only 2 years of coaching at the high school level so far. Yes. He won the state tourney, but he also had probably the best line in the state, two of the better goalies in the state and some decent defensemen and second line forwards. While not deep, the team was stacked at the top. So I am not sure I would say he has proven himself as a coach enough yet to take the chance on him as an assistant. There is a lot to learn in any new position and someone going to one of he top programs seems like should have more experience. Although I would love to see him coach elsewhere, do well, and end up at the Gophers eventually.

          And yes, Potulny was new to coaching when he came in, but the impression I got was that there was a lot of learning on the job. Seems best to have coaches learn elsewwhere, and once they prove themselves, move on to the Gophs. But I guess we'll see. Seems strange to go this long without a full coaching crew.

          Comment


          • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

            Originally posted by Koho View Post
            So on here and GPL in the past, I have seen Trent Klatt's name thrown around as an assistant coach some would like to see. I'm not sure I am in favor of that. Trent is a great guy who really can relate to younger players well. As a head scout, he obviously has a feel for young talent coming up. He has played at every level. But he has only 2 years of coaching at the high school level so far. Yes. He won the state tourney, but he also had probably the best line in the state, two of the better goalies in the state and some decent defensemen and second line forwards. While not deep, the team was stacked at the top. So I am not sure I would say he has proven himself as a coach enough yet to take the chance on him as an assistant. There is a lot to learn in any new position and someone going to one of he top programs seems like should have more experience. Although I would love to see him coach elsewhere, do well, and end up at the Gophers eventually.

            And yes, Potulny was new to coaching when he came in, but the impression I got was that there was a lot of learning on the job. Seems best to have coaches learn elsewwhere, and once they prove themselves, move on to the Gophs. But I guess we'll see. Seems strange to go this long without a full coaching crew.
            I think Potulny was the exception. As a player, he was the only three-year alternate/captain (2) on the Gophers since 1947 which included two NC teams, one of which he scored the winning OT goal. Lucia was very familiar with his character and work ethic and his success as a player/captain offset his lack of coaching experience.

            If a guy with Potulny's resume as a player was hired as an asst. by Motzko for on the job training, I'd be fine with that. Klatt? Different story, I'd like to see more coaching experience. I suspect the delay in hiring another asst. is looking for a good fit with the right M guy.
            Last edited by SteveO; 09-20-2018, 09:19 AM.

            Comment


            • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

              Potulny always struck me as being very smart, and from Blue Line Club chalk talks it was very obvious that he had great insight and really understood the game. I have no idea how Klatt would compare in this regard, but I agree that Potulny was the exception and that very few young candidates - Klatt or otherwise - would equal or surpass what Grant was able to bring to the table.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

              Comment


              • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

                Anybody looking for 4 tickets to the game in Duluth? Might be getting rid of mine. I looked at the schedule and saw the game in Duluth was first so assumed it was Friday, which was perfect since a couple I work with and have been friends with for 25 year are having a duel retirement party Saturday. When I got online I saw it was Saturday and completely forgot about the party and bought the Tix. I will still go if I can't sell them, so am only interested in selling for face value and all four. But thought I'd ask here. I do have a 'friend' (I put in quotes because he is a Bulldogs fan) who might know someone. I don't get many chances to go to games, so if I sell them, the weather better be nice, the jerk from work better not be there, and it better be a good party (will partly be determined by the jerk not being there).

                Comment


                • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

                  Originally posted by Koho View Post
                  Anybody looking for 4 tickets to the game in Duluth? Might be getting rid of mine. I looked at the schedule and saw the game in Duluth was first so assumed it was Friday, which was perfect since a couple I work with and have been friends with for 25 year are having a duel retirement party Saturday. When I got online I saw it was Saturday and completely forgot about the party and bought the Tix. I will still go if I can't sell them, so am only interested in selling for face value and all four. But thought I'd ask here. I do have a 'friend' (I put in quotes because he is a Bulldogs fan) who might know someone. I don't get many chances to go to games, so if I sell them, the weather better be nice, the jerk from work better not be there, and it better be a good party (will partly be determined by the jerk not being there).
                  Sell them at reduced value to the jerk. Everybody wins.

                  Comment


                  • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

                    Originally posted by burd View Post
                    Sell them at reduced value to the jerk. Everybody wins.
                    just to show you how much of a jerk he is, he isn't a college hockey fan.

                    Comment


                    • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

                      Originally posted by Koho View Post
                      just to show you how much of a jerk he is, he isn't a college hockey fan.
                      Of course the fact there are only about 3 USCHO Gopher fans left, doesn't help my odds.

                      Comment


                      • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

                        Originally posted by Koho View Post
                        Of course the fact there are only about 3 USCHO Gopher fans left, doesn't help my odds.
                        I'm still here! Just waiting for the season to start...
                        In the meantime I see that Pittlick and Sheehy have been named to the "B1G Watchlist" and the Gophers are projected to finish in the middle of the pack (4th) in the final league standings.

                        https://gophersports.com/news/2018/9...gn=GopherDaily
                        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                        Comment


                        • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

                          Still here, just not as much as I used to be.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

                          Comment


                          • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

                            Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            I'm still here! Just waiting for the season to start...
                            In the meantime I see that Pittlick and Sheehy have been named to the "B1G Watchlist" and the Gophers are projected to finish in the middle of the pack (4th) in the final league standings.

                            https://gophersports.com/news/2018/9...gn=GopherDaily
                            I have little confidence in the predictability of the B1G preseason poll. This was last season:

                            2017-18 BIG TEN PRESEASON POLL

                            Minnesota
                            Notre Dame
                            Wisconsin
                            Penn State
                            Ohio State
                            Michigan
                            Michigan State

                            USCHO preseason poll appears to be based upon who went to the FF last season. Meh... Drop the puck and we'll see. I predict the Gophers will be better than 4th in the B1G.

                            Comment


                            • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

                              Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              I'm still here! Just waiting for the season to start...
                              In the meantime I see that Pittlick and Sheehy have been named to the "B1G Watchlist" and the Gophers are projected to finish in the middle of the pack (4th) in the final league standings.

                              https://gophersports.com/news/2018/9...gn=GopherDaily
                              While the methodology may or may not have been as simple as ranking per FF results from last season the fact is the conference is much stronger than it was even 3 years ago and the Gophers have a lot to answer for regarding last season. Add in the loss of some key players and a new coaching staff and there's a lot to be unsure of for this team.

                              I personally don't think the losses are as significant as some at GPL - certainly no more than any strong program should expect during most off-seasons. The new adds imho have more potential as Fr. than last year's class (save Mittelsdorf) and I find it highly unlikely they have as little development as they did from two season's ago to last. Add in a likely better PP and offense...

                              That said the 4th place pick doesn't offend me and I look forward to them proving it wrong.

                              Comment


                              • Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers Season Off-Season Thread 2018

                                Agree with SteveO that the Gophers will finish better than 4th, and agree with Slap Shot that they will be motivated to prove it. They will also be extra motivated to show the new coaching staff that they are a key cog in the lineup, be on the first power play unit, etc.
                                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X