X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern 2018 Off-season: Dog Day Afternoon

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
    Copied from Diehard Dogs:

If you live in the Washington, DC, area, know someone who does, or if you'll be passing through, here's something that should be of interest. None other than Jim Madigan will be honored guest and guest speaker at the annual Reception on the Hill, sponsored by the NU Washington, DC, Alumni Chapter on Tuesday, May 22, starting at 6 p.m. Location is Room 902 of the Hart Senate Office Building. There is no charge but because of Hart Building security requirements, registration deadline is May 17, which is only a couple of days away. Here's the registration link:

https://events.attend.com/f/13837841..._source=evtlst

He's apparently bringing the Beanpot with him.
    Also copied from Diehard Dogs:

"Just found out that Jeff Konya will also be there. The actual Beanpot too. So if you're anywhere in the area, this belongs on your "must" list."
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

2018 recruits Tyler Madden (F) and Jordan Harris (D) are both attending the NHL Scouting Combine. Have seen them mock drafted anywhere from the end of round 2 (Harris) to the middle of round 5.
      "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Captains announced for next season.

C: Eric Williams
        A: Jeremy Davies
        A: John Picking
        A: Ryan Shea

First Canadian captain since Roy. Davies is a good indication that he will stay, even if NJ gets some blue line openings. For Picking, it's a testament to his growth and importance to the team. I thought he blossomed in his role last season. Three defensemen with letters next season, shows how important defense and goaltending will be as we hope that scorers can step up to replace some of 8/9/21's lost production
        "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

All seem like great selections. Agreed that Picking is great choice based on his hard work and hustle.
          These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tilldog40 View Post
            All seem like great selections. Agreed that Picking is great choice based on his hard work and hustle.
            ✔ total team player
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

I don't feel like Williams has improved much since he got here. We desperately needed a right shot D to step up and take big minutes after Cockerill left last year, and instead it was Cecere going over to the right side to take on the load while the three other LD took some shifts on the right side to help him out. If Williams is the man, I'll be looking for some big strides forward.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                I don't feel like Williams has improved much since he got here. We desperately needed a right shot D to step up and take big minutes after Cockerill left last year, and instead it was Cecere going over to the right side to take on the load while the three other LD took some shifts on the right side to help him out. If Williams is the man, I'll be looking for some big strides forward.
                I would expect an inspired effort from Eric this year as he takes on the role of captain. I hope to see the kind of game from him that earned the CHL Defenseman of the Year when he was with Aurora. Personally, there is nothing that would get me to try block one of his slapshots.

Comment

I wouldn’t have expected Brandon Hawkins to be a captain but do see him as being a huge contributor next season and playing a leadership role. Meeting him a few times he is very mature and I believe he may be a couple years older than the other guys but I could be wrong.
                  These are good times to be a Husky Dawg!!!!

Comment

• per Jeff Cox, Selects Academy D Charlie Deroches signs pro contract (St John).
                    GO NU HOCKEY
                    We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
                      per Jeff Cox, Selects Academy D Charlie Deroches signs pro contract (St John).
                      Forgot to post here after posting on DHD. I won't even go into my personal opinions of CHL vs NCAA; I think this kid made a very dumb decision. But that's not important. Some people have said, and I agree, that we will find another player to take the scholarship we offered DesRoches, however, it's a bigger deal than just losing a regular jabroni. Part of ascending to the elite/very good levels of college hockey is having the ability to both commit these elite talents AND get them to campus. DesRoches is one of those elite 02 right-handed defensemen, which don't grow on trees. It's not like there are a lot of elite 02s still out there waiting to be had. So losing a player of his level is a loss for the pipeline.

Now, it's the risk we take in being active in pursuing these kids, both in this age group and Canadians as a whole. But we need to be doing that in order to compete with the top programs annually as we go forward. It sucks when a kid uses his verbal commitment to shift and shake his way to his preferred CHL team, and that appears to be what happened here. I trust JM/JK/JS to find a quality player to replace DesRoches in the pipeline, but that doesn't mean losing a highly-regarded recruit doesn't sting.
                      "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

• Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                        Forgot to post here after posting on DHD. I won't even go into my personal opinions of CHL vs NCAA; I think this kid made a very dumb decision. But that's not important. Some people have said, and I agree, that we will find another player to take the scholarship we offered DesRoches, however, it's a bigger deal than just losing a regular jabroni. Part of ascending to the elite/very good levels of college hockey is having the ability to both commit these elite talents AND get them to campus. DesRoches is one of those elite 02 right-handed defensemen, which don't grow on trees. It's not like there are a lot of elite 02s still out there waiting to be had. So losing a player of his level is a loss for the pipeline.

Now, it's the risk we take in being active in pursuing these kids, both in this age group and Canadians as a whole. But we need to be doing that in order to compete with the top programs annually as we go forward. It sucks when a kid uses his verbal commitment to shift and shake his way to his preferred CHL team, and that appears to be what happened here. I trust JM/JK/JS to find a quality player to replace DesRoches in the pipeline, but that doesn't mean losing a highly-regarded recruit doesn't sting.
                        well put. +1
                        GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Looks like Saint John likes your recruits. Today they selected Jack Williams with the 1st pick in the two round American Draft http://theqmjhl.ca/draft/2018QMJHL_US
                          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

• Originally posted by turk181 View Post
                            Looks like Saint John likes your recruits. Today they selected Jack Williams with the 1st pick in the two round American Draft http://theqmjhl.ca/draft/2018QMJHL_US
                            Does he still do Wednesday’s child?
                            a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                              Does he still do Wednesday’s child?
                              Nah. He retired a couple of years ago. I'm afraid you'll have find a new home some other way!

Both of the St. Johns picks were teammates at Selects Academy this past season.

Comment

• hope Williams stays.. grass always looks greener on the other side..

oh well, nature of the beast.
                                NU Hockey just gotta keep plugging away Go Huskies
                                GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Working...
                                X