Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Maybe I'm not articulating this correctly. I'm not saying Money Talks in terms of hiring, I'm saying money talks in terms of alumni influence. College hockey is a small community and these coaches talk a lot, in terms of Motzko Lucia at least once a week for the better part of a decade.
    These issues with alumni are well known...so it's a no brainer that Motzko or Hastings would know them also.
    If it's me...if I know a guy who has 2 national titles to his credit can't be accepted by some alumni because he isn't an "M" man...and I know I'm also not one...the choice would be easy...the money isn't worth the hassle.
    And I am saying that making the wrong coaching decision because a super small group of alumni get bent out of shape would lead to a further decline in attendance, which would cost far more financially than a small handful of alumni getting upset. Especially considering those same alumni never stopped donating when Lucia was here.

Keep grasping at straws.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Re: Don Lucia steps down as Minnesota Gophers coach

Maybe I'm not articulating this correctly. I'm not saying Money Talks in terms of hiring, I'm saying money talks in terms of alumni influence. College hockey is a small community and these coaches talk a lot, in terms of Motzko Lucia at least once a week for the better part of a decade.
      These issues with alumni are well known...so it's a no brainer that Motzko or Hastings would know them also.
      If it's me...if I know a guy who has 2 national titles to his credit can't be accepted by some alumni because he isn't an "M" man...and I know I'm also not one...the choice would be easy...the money isn't worth the hassle.
      I don't think the motivation of these guys is the same as the rest of us. They aren't putting in long days and weeks, coaching and traveling around to watch kids play year round just because of some money. They are competitive and challenge themselves. They accept and many probably relish being in the spotlight. For many, being in arguably the top position at the level of job they are in and some of the perks to increase the odds of getting an NC, along with the higher salary, can make a person tolerate a lot more than a handful of bitter alums. And I'm not saying either of those two will take it, if offered, as there are a lot more considerations for them. Just that I don't think the alum issue would be the deciding factor.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
        And I am saying that making the wrong coaching decision because a super small group of alumni get bent out of shape would lead to a further decline in attendance, which would cost far more financially than a small handful of alumni getting upset. Especially considering those same alumni never stopped donating when Lucia was here.

Keep grasping at straws.
        I'm not grasping at any straws...i don't think motzko leaves regardless...but i also don't think dealing with ahole alumni is not part of the equation either.
        "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
        -Gallagher

R.I.P.
        Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
        Grandma ~ Jan 2004
        Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
        Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

I'm not grasping at any straws...i don't think motzko leaves regardless...but i also don't think dealing with ahole alumni is not part of the equation either.
          lol

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            get the guy from Air Force.. Serratore. He's solid.
            If he's good enough for AF.. (he gets a ton out of those men).. would do wonders for Minny, g'luck.
            At least Bemidji and UMTC would play each other annually.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Koho View Post
              I don't think the motivation of these guys is the same as the rest of us. They aren't putting in long days and weeks, coaching and traveling around to watch kids play year round just because of some money. They are competitive and challenge themselves. They accept and many probably relish being in the spotlight. For many, being in arguably the top position at the level of job they are in and some of the perks to increase the odds of getting an NC, along with the higher salary, can make a person tolerate a lot more than a handful of bitter alums. And I'm not saying either of those two will take it, if offered, as there are a lot more considerations for them. Just that I don't think the alum issue would be the deciding factor.
              I would love to hear the argument that the Gopher hockey job is the to position in NCAA hockey.
              Originally posted by SJHovey
              Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
              Originally posted by Brenthoven
              We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

lol
                lol your coach just took a shot at the alumni as being a reason that the program is in the shape it's in now lol
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

lol
                  Ok...so your head must be in the sand....Lucia mentioned alumni as a problem in his final PC.
                  So if it is still on his mind at the end...it's still an issue.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

lol
                    The fact that so many of us have Motzko high on our list is an implicit acknowledgment he’s correct. Right now, St. Cloud is the superior team.
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                      I would love to hear the argument that the Gopher hockey job is the to position in NCAA hockey.
                      An argument could be made. It’s one of the highest paid, has some of the nicest facilities, has a pool of talent to draw from that is second to none, it’s in a major metropolitan area, it’s in a top state to live in, it has prestige, and it has the history.

I don’t think there’s ever really a top position in any sport. So it’s hard to unequivocally state that we are the top position. But this will be the top position open this year.
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
                        lol

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          The fact that so many of us have Motzko high on our list is an implicit acknowledgment he’s correct. Right now, St. Cloud is the superior team.
                          I have ZERO idea how that relates to what I said.

CC was a better team when Lucia left to take the job at Minnesota. It has to do with potential.

I love the Twins, but if I were coaching them and the NYY or Dodgers (with their considerably higher resources) offered me more money to coach them, I'd take the offer in a heartbeat.

Loose analogy, I know, but I think the money and resources to win are big factors.
                          Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 03-21-2018, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I have ZERO idea how that relates to what I said.

CC was a better team when Lucia left to take the job at Minnesota. It has to do with potential.

I love the Twins, but if I were coaching them and the NYY or Dodgers (with their considerably higher resources) offered me more money to coach them, I'd take the offer in a heartbeat.

Loose analogy, I know, but I think the money and resources to win are big factors.
                            It may be a no brainer to you...it's not for others. I know plenty of coaches who are extremely happy being in the smaller environment for less money yes but also a lot less BS.
                            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                            Grandma ~ Jan 2004

Comment

It may be a no brainer to you...it's not for others. I know plenty of coaches who are extremely happy being in the smaller environment for less money yes but also a lot less BS.
                              Maybe. I certainly don't know their thoughts. I guess we'll just see what happens.

Comment

Watched the 36 minute clip on you tube. Complete class act.

Comment

Working...
                                X