Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Think it has to do with the he situation then and now.

Then it was the end of a bad stretch and things couldn’t get worse. Whereas now 5ings are trending upward and a bad step can mess it up more.
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      Did Hynes think BU could match his current salary or something? That part didn't make sense unless he just wanted to give his opinion on who the coach should be.
      Hynes is only signed through next year with New Jersey, so I wonder if he looked at it as being security or who knows, maybe he would try to just use it as leverage to get NJ to give him an extension sooner. either way, if he reached out and wanted to talk, and BU didn't call him, that's insane to me.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...ohn_hynes.html
      Today we skate with 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by MCWarrior1011 View Post
        Hynes is only signed through next year with New Jersey, so I wonder if he looked at it as being security or who knows, maybe he would try to just use it as leverage to get NJ to give him an extension sooner. either way, if he reached out and wanted to talk, and BU didn't call him, that's insane to me.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2...ohn_hynes.html
        It does sound insane... but who knows if they really didn't call him or what the inside story is.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
          It does sound insane... but who knows if they really didn't call him or what the inside story is.
          Does he have a family? Maybe they don't like Newark. Maybe NHL HC is too much of a time commitment, but other than less travel and more nights at sleeping at home than on the road, I think time commitment at BU is just as high. Both jobs are pretty much around the clock. But I don't know, it sounds completely bizarre to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            You are being too kind. His sr season ended in April and the kids are gone mid May. Couple weeks max. Sloppy

In fact that is a big red mark on an application for this job.
            Sorry, I am calling BS on this comment.

He signed right after the NCAAs. He was starting his professional hockey career, which lasted 18 seasons as a player and then got right into coaching.
            He hasn't needed a degree to this point in anything that he has done.
            It is a formality if he needs to get one.

Comment

Harry, please.

He played 8gm with Albany (5rs, 3playoff). Then had the summer. When he signed he had a couple weeks left in the semester and had incompletes which could have then been finished in the months of June or July or August. Couple hours work max.

And now he wants a job making sure 25 some odd young men take classes seriously??

Sorry. Mookie is standing by his original statement.

(Now if instead he wasn’t going to graduate because he DID finish those classes but was still short because he didn’t carry a full load during a semester or two mookie will perhaps revisit your point)
              a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

In the past this "rule" on having a degree has always been unclear to me. So it's not an NCAA matter? Just a school by school policy?

Comment

Originally posted by chrisP View Post
                  Exactly! Don't get the Bennett interest. Plus, he couldn't recruit when he was an assistant at PC a long time ago.
                  Judging a coach who MUST recruit with the ones at BU that just pick the cream off the top
                  from the dozens of volunteers every year isn't really a fair assessment of the coach.
                  (big difference between BU and UNION for a "student" athlete)

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                    In the past this "rule" on having a degree has always been unclear to me. So it's not an NCAA matter? Just a school by school policy?
                    Assuming its a school policy, and I kinda like it. Sort of the quaint old notion that your time in school ought be spent getting a degree even if you do play hockey.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Pokey View Post
                      Judging a coach who MUST recruit with the ones at BU that just pick the cream off the top
                      from the dozens of volunteers every year isn't really a fair assessment of the coach.
                      (big difference between BU and UNION for a "student" athlete)
                      Saying that BU "picks the cream off the top" is a wee bit of an oversimplification.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        And now he wants a job making sure 25 some odd young men take classes seriously??
                        Wouldn't it be something if a kid skipped a voluntary workout to study for finals and the BU coach was like '*** you skipped a workout, you're outta here!'
                        Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                        The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                          Andy Murray, head coach of Western Michigan, doesn’t have a degree, so it’s not an NCAA rule.

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

If John Hynes was so interested in the job why didn’t he formally apply for it? Instead it was reported he “reached out” to BU to inquire about the job, one we have been told many others formally applied for. There certainly seems to be much more to this story. That said, I don’t see why Hynes should automatically have been given the job even if he did apply.

Sean
                            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                            BU Hockey highlights and extras
                            NCAA Hockey Financials
                            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                              Saying that BU "picks the cream off the top" is a wee bit of an oversimplification.
                              Suggesting that they don't is then what??
                              Every year all those familiar names (where have I heard Carpenter, Amonte and Tkachuk) and how many NHL draft picks on this last years roster?
                              I'd say that is one mighty big head start ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                                Andy Murray, head coach of Western Michigan, doesn’t have a degree, so it’s not an NCAA rule.

Sean
                                Andy Murray has a BA from Brandon University in Manitoba (and an honorary doctorate, not that that matters)

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.s...e_honorar.html
                                Last edited by TheRevengeance; 06-04-2018, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X