Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Also, comparing what Bennett did at Union compared to what Quinn did at BU is apples and oranges. Much easier to recruit and win at BU than it is Union.

Comment

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post

Good to hear IMO.

I wonder if BU is considering the whole package? Meaning, If they hire McEachern, I bet they could get Albie to stay and have both of them... it would seem less likely IMO that McEachern would come in as an assistant if Albie gets the job.... but who knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          Coach Parker had his share of behavioral records and I don't recall any BU fans having problems with it.

Sean
          Please tell me you are not comparing Bennett to Coach Parker.

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
            Good to hear IMO.

I wonder if BU is considering the whole package? Meaning, If they hire McEachern, I bet they could get Albie to stay and have both of them... it would seem less likely IMO that McEachern would come in as an assistant if Albie gets the job.... but who knows.
            Agree that Bennett was the wrong candidate to move outside the BU family. That said, McEachern concerns me a bit since he only has 4 years of D1 assistant experience and none since 2010. IMO he'd be an ideal candidate for an associate position under Albie. That would certainly be a promotion from high school head coach.
            ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

We should stay ‘in the family’ unless we could get Bazin or Leisman, but that is unlikely at best.

Comment

Not a BU fan, but my 2 cents. For one of the most prolific college hockey programs these are the 2 best coaches available? Mceachern and O'Connell? Shwan is the HC at Rivers, that is all the HC experience he has, Albie has no HC experience, yes he has a lot of top assistant work at NU, Harvard, and BU. I think BU is selling themselves short by insisting it being a BU alum. Fine by me, like I said not a BU fan, but if I were I would be very underwhelmed by these being the finalists.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                  Good to hear IMO.

I would say it is a long shot that Albie stays if he doesn't get HC job. He is Quinn #2 guy, I am sure he feels that he is qualified for the job. If they go outside, no way he stays to work for the guy who beat him out. My guess Albie gets it to protect the incoming classes.

Comment

Originally posted by huskies31 View Post
                    Not a BU fan, but my 2 cents. For one of the most prolific college hockey programs these are the 2 best coaches available? Mceachern and O'Connell? Shwan is the HC at Rivers, that is all the HC experience he has, Albie has no HC experience, yes he has a lot of top assistant work at NU, Harvard, and BU. I think BU is selling themselves short by insisting it being a BU alum. Fine by me, like I said not a BU fan, but if I were I would be very underwhelmed by these being the finalists.
                    What non bu alums are available and a better choice in your opinion?

Comment

Originally posted by huskies31 View Post
                      The line that BU is "insisting" that it be a BU alum is misconstruing the actual picture here. What most are saying is that Rick Bennett specifically (the only non-BU candidate mentioned) is not the right person for the position. It's unknown whether BU contacted Leaman or Bazin, or any other coach outside of BU alums. But to say that because the BU fanbase seems to largely not want Bennett means we all don't want someone "outside the family" is not accurate.

I agree that McEachern and O'Connell aren't the sexiest candidates, but I think there's a lot of consideration being given among those making the decision that the next hire will not leave for the first open NHL job. My guess is they felt that Pandolfo and Sacco are too much of a flight risk to the pros. It's one thing if the coach leaves to take a $12 million five-year contract to the Rangers, it's another if the coach leaves to take something like a three-year $5 million deal with Carolina.

It's also unclear where Greeley fits/did fit into this since he was mentioned as a candidate as well.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                        What non bu alums are available and a better choice in your opinion?
                        If you told me that BU had extended an offer to one of Bazin or Leaman, I'd be 100% on board. Whether either of those two are actually available or interested is another story. Heck, if this were two or three years from now and things continue as they appear, I think I'd be interested in Carvel too.

Bennett won a title then immediately trended downward for the next four seasons. One NCAA tournament appearance, no wins. Three very average seasons missing the tournament, one decent season. He has not been able to parlay his 2014 title into building the program into a consistent contender and begs the question whether that was a flash in the pan year riding the coattails of some great forwards, some of whom were recruited by Leaman.
                        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

https://***********/jeffcoxsports/status/1003366925903302658

Comment

I am not against BU hiring someone who didn't go to BU, I am wary of BU hiring someone who was not able to win .600% of his games in a worse conference with any consistency.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                              Also, comparing what Bennett did at Union compared to what Quinn did at BU is apples and oranges. Much easier to recruit and win at BU than it is Union.
                              If the comparison was close I'd agree. It isn't close.

Comment

It shouldn't be close. Union and BU are in totally different stratospheres. Much better facilities for BU, tradition in place and much easier to recruit to BU. Not saying you guys should hire Bennett but silly to rule him out because he hasn't won enough at a place like Union.

Comment

Working...
                                X