Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Since it no news time....

Let’s put together a song list for the band to practice this summer

Help yourself - Tom Jones
    Country roads - bob Denver
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      Since it no news time....

Let’s put together a song list for the band to practice this summer

Help yourself - Tom Jones
      Country roads - bob Denver
      Sixty Minute Man - Clyde McPhatter (Later of The Drifters)
      The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
        I wonder how long it will take for BU to come to a decision... should we predict an announcement this week?
        I hope so, the longer it drags out the more limbo for all our recruits and the more opportunity for other schools to poach them. A similar situation for any current players on the fence about leaving or staying. It's important to hire the right person, but it should be done promptly. None of the discussed candidates are in any situation right now where they'd be unable to interview immediately.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
          As for Joe Sacco, you are correct, he is not Andy Murray, who was a much more successful head coach in the NHL.

Sean
          Been reading the thread today and have been following the back and forth on the points being made. Context adds a lot to the conversation.

Take Andy Murray. His name was in the mix about 12 years ago for RPI's opening but that didn't happen. He went back to the pros and resurfaced at Western Michigan. His first two years in the CCHA were really good battling with Michigan, Michigan State and Miami. Then with realignment, WM is in the NCHC. Much harder struggle... look at who's in that league. This year, they were in 7th at 10-13-1... St. Cloud, Denver and North Dakota are powerhouses annually. Who was the NCHC third place finisher this year? National champion Duluth (conference record: 13-10-1). That's some league! WM really has their work cut out for them. For a school like WM, finishing in the top four in the NCHC is worth one big gold star. Could you picture Merrimack or UMass cracking the top four in Hockey East even once every five years?

About a week ago, I posting about the idea of Rick Bennett from Union (who has accomplished an awful lot with limited resources) as the next BU coach. If the Terriers 'go outside,' they could do a whole lot worse than Rick Bennett. I still hope BU is doing their due diligence on him. I really believe he would be a great pick here.

Would Bennett's resume look as glossy if the ECAC were as power-packed as the NCHC? Guess we'll never know. Context, context, context.
          Last edited by Berkshire BU Fan; 05-28-2018, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Berkshire BU Fan View Post
            Been reading the thread today (By the way, Happy Memorial Day, everyone!).
            Don't mean to troll your board but the term "Happy" Memorial Day is beyond naïve to the point of being ignorant. The names of several of my Northeastern classmates are on the wall at Northeastern and I believe there are even more BU guys who gave their all going back to when the 26th (Yankee) Infantry Division, based at where Agganis now sits, spearheaded the US offensives in WWI. Certainly, more BU guys followed in WWII, Korea, RVN, and the Middle East. Sorry if I sound preachy, but really...
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              Don't mean to troll your board but the term "Happy" Memorial Day is beyond naïve to the point of being ignorant. The names of several of my Northeastern classmates are on the wall at Northeastern and I believe there are even more BU guys who gave their all going back to when the 26th (Yankee) Infantry Division, based at where Agganis now sits, spearheaded the US offensives in WWI. Certainly, more BU guys followed in WWII, Korea, RVN, and the Middle East. Sorry if I sound preachy, but really...
              You're right, thanks for the reminder. I adjusted my post.

Comment

Been reading the thread today (By the way, Happy Memorial Day, everyone!) and have been following the back and forth on the points being made. Context adds a lot to the conversation.

Take Andy Murray. His name surfaced about 12 years ago for RPI's opening but that didn't happen. He went back to the pros and resurfaced at Western Michigan. His first two years in the CCHA were really good battling with Michigan. Michigan State and Miami, then with realignment WM is in the NCHC. Much harder struggle... look at his neighbors. This year, they were in 7th at 10-13-1... St. Cloud, Denver and North Dakota are powerhouses. Who was the NCHC third place finisher this year? National champion Duluth (conference record: 13-10-1). WM really has their work cut out for them in that league. Finishing higher than fifth in the NCHC is worth a big gold star. Could you picture Merrimack or UMass consistently cracking the top four in Hockey East?

About a week ago, I was posting on behalf of Rick Bennett at Union who has accomplished an awful lot with limited resources. If BU 'goes outside,' they could do a lot worse than Rick Bennett. I still hope BU is doing their due diligence on him. I really believe he would be a great pick for the Terriers.

Would Bennett's resume look as glossy if the ECAC were as power-packed as the NCHC? Guess we'll never know for sure. Context matters.
                The problem with going for a guy like Bennett is it would be a very radical shift for the program as a whole. New coaching staff top to bottom, new philosophy, new recruits. If the AD is going to consider that, why not take a run at other coaches like Leaman and Bazin? I don't think that's the direction BU wants to go and I also don't think it's necessary. Despite the opinions of a select few here, Quinn positioned the program very well to succeed in modern college hockey. Some tweaks may be necessary to get over the hump, but blowing it all up and starting over isn't necessary.
                ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

About a week ago, I posting about the idea of Rick Bennett from Union (who has accomplished an awful lot with limited resources) as the next BU coach. If the Terriers 'go outside,' they could do a whole lot worse than Rick Bennett. I still hope BU is doing their due diligence on him. I really believe he would be a great pick here.

Would Bennett's resume look as glossy if the ECAC were as power-packed as the NCHC? Guess we'll never know. Context, context, context.
                  No thanks.

https://youtu.be/Tq5Uy7CR6VM?t=54s
                  It Happened!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
                    I remember this event was widely reported at the time (2014). Union lost just once more for the rest of the season.

The ECAC gave him a two or three game suspension. (The RPI coach got a one game suspension. That was hilarious.) Bennett apologized profusely after the event. At that time, Union administrators chose not to penalize him further. I was very surprised... I remember how it ended for Woody Hayes. And Union's a very image-conscious, a very, very 'pc' kind of place.

They went on to win the title in 2014. He was named Division I Coach of the Year. Someone must have voted for him.

He dishonored his school and his team that night. Somehow he survived. He apologized. There has been no 'second incident.' He seems to have matured and has made the most of a second chance... he has won a few more ECAC titles and earned NCAA tournament appearances. Under these circumstances, he's worth a look.

BU wants the best. I did say our people should do their due diligence. (I wonder what our search committee has come to know about this? Of course, they can't comment...)
                    Last edited by Berkshire BU Fan; 05-28-2018, 09:27 PM.

Comment

I remember this event was widely reported at the time (2014). Union lost just once more for the rest of the season.

The ECAC gave him a two or three game suspension. (The RPI coach got a one game suspension. That was hilarious.) Bennett apologized profusely after the event. At that time, Union administrators chose not to penalize him further. I was very surprised... I remember how it ended for Woody Hayes. And Union's a very image-conscious, a very, very 'pc' kind of place.

They went on to win the title in 2014. He was named Division I Coach of the Year. Someone must have voted for him.

He dishonored his school and his team that night. Somehow he survived. He apologized. There has been no 'second incident.' He seems to have matured and has made the most of a second chance... he has won a few more ECAC titles and earned NCAA tournament appearances. Under these circumstances, he's worth a look.

BU wants the best. I did say our people should do their due diligence. (I wonder what our search committee has come to know about this? Of course, they can't comment...)
                      That's fine and I'm sure he regrets his actions, but while he seems to be a very solid coach and I'm sure would do well, I still don't see the reason for a massive makeover of the BU hockey program just to hire Rick Bennett.
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        Don't mean to troll your board but the term "Happy" Memorial Day is beyond naïve to the point of being ignorant.
                        Agreed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                          Sixty Minute Man - Clyde McPhatter (Later of The Drifters)
                          Time in a bottle - Jim Croce
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Whats the timeframe for getting a new coach? A few weeks? A few months? Anyone hear of any interviews as of yet?

Comment

Guys, I'm starting to wonder if the poster who just signed up for this board once BU had a head coach vacancy and only posts here to say positive things about Rick Bennett should be considered a credible source.

FWIW personally I would prefer Greeley, but from an outside perspective looking at his career track I would be surprised if he was interested in this job. Short of that it would be hard to do better than Albie, IMO, but then that leaves an important assistant coach vacancy to fill.

Comment

I always took Joe Sacco to be a tad too aloof to connect with the college players, but that is with only a couple of 'aged' observations on my part. He plays a role on a young team that exceeded expectations, so maybe my observation isn't worth anything. I think if Albie wants the job, it's going to take a lot of work to keep him happy as that is a lot of bridesmaid's dresses.
                                "What about my asthma?"
                                "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Working...
                                X