This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Moving on...I know the Celtics being in the playoffs is a big deal, but they weren't playing yesterday. Why did they take up the entire sports report on the evening news? Not one mention on the the channels I watch. Though Tater did say FOX25 mentioned the coach of the Bulldogs got the head coaching job of the Rangers.
    College Hockey is such a niche sport that short of Jack Parker or Jerry york retiring, a college hockey coach moving on is pretty much non news.

Comment

• Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
      We've had five years of well documented screw ups, failures, and inconsistencies which we've all discussed ad nauseam on this thread. Now all of a sudden you're going to ignore it all and claim he was a good coach? That's the definition of moronic.
      Actually those really were not discussions. More like you spewing out ridiculous assertions and the rest of us laughing at you behind your back. Regardless feel free to continue and I look forward to hearing you talk about how terrible the next coach is.

Comment

• Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
        We've had five years of well documented screw ups, failures, and inconsistencies which we've all discussed ad nauseam on this thread. Now all of a sudden you're going to ignore it all and claim he was a good coach? That's the definition of moronic.
        We've also had two Hockey East regular season championships, two Hockey East Championships, one Beanpot, four NCAA tournaments, two regional finals, a Frozen Four and national runner-up in the last five years. Really only four years since Quinn's first was a throwaway due to Parker's roster shortcomings. Given the level of talent over those four years it's not unreasonable to have expected more, but what we did accomplish is nothing to scoff at and certainly doesn't amount to "screw-ups, failures, and inconsistencies."
        ÂŻ\_(ツ)_/ÂŻ

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
          We've also had two Hockey East regular season championships, two Hockey East Championships, one Beanpot, four NCAA tournaments, two regional finals, a Frozen Four and national runner-up in the last five years. Really only four years since Quinn's first was a throwaway due to Parker's roster shortcomings. Given the level of talent over those four years it's not unreasonable to have expected more, but what we did accomplish is nothing to scoff at and certainly doesn't amount to "screw-ups, failures, and inconsistencies."
          100% agree.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tater View Post
            100% agree.
            I also agree although I would likely edit “expected more” to “have hoped for more” or “thought we might have been able to do a bit more”. IMO it is pretty hard to expect championships in Hockey East and D1 athletics in general. It’s not like the schools we play against aren’t bringing in a lot of talent as well.

Comment

Best tweet in reaction to the Rangers-Quinn press conference came from Assistant SDI Kevin Edelson:
              "Just once I want to look as good in a suit as David Quinn does."
              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                Best tweet in reaction to the Rangers-Quinn press conference came from Assistant SDI Kevin Edelson:
                "Just once I want to look as good in a suit as David Quinn does."

Part of the problem with the New York Rangers: too much emphasis on looking good rather than playing good hockey.

Comment

Quinn dishes to the NY Post. Good far-ranging interview.
                  https://nypost.com/2018/05/26/david-...nd-bucky-dent/
                  The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Yes, Quinn was a big name guy when he was hired. He was very well known and highly regarded for player development. I think BU needs a big name coach in order to keep the recruits we have lined up for the next several years. A few months ago, it was posted here that BU was #1 in the country in revenue. ESPN listed BU as the #1 place to watch hockey prospects in the world. I would prefer we get someone with a lot of coaching experience at the highest levels.

As far as Albie goes, I would hope that BU would not make the same mistake twice. We don't need another recruiter as head coach. The biggest issue this team had over the past four years was that the head coach and the primary assistant were both recruiters, not x's and o's and in-game coaches.
                    And Albie's not very well known and highly regarded in college coaching circles?

Why did Denver hire their assistant, David Carle, as Head coach. Did Denver not need a big name? Did Denver not need a well known and highly regarded coach?

Speaking of needing to hire a big name coach, Western Michigan hired Andy Murray, a big name, as head coach back in 2011 and in the past 7 seasons his overall record is barely over .500. Compare that to what Rick Bennett has done at Union over the same seven seasons. Which would you consider the better hire, the big name or the assistant promoted from within?

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
                      Quinn dishes to the NY Post. Good far-ranging interview.
                      https://nypost.com/2018/05/26/david-...nd-bucky-dent/
                      I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Charlie MacAvoy in Ranger blue in a couple of years.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        And Albie's not very well known and highly regarded in college coaching circles?

Why did Denver hire their assistant, David Carle, as Head coach. Did Denver not need a big name? Did Denver not need a well known and highly regarded coach?

Speaking of needing to hire a big name coach, Western Michigan hired Andy Murray, a big name, as head coach back in 2011 and in the past 7 seasons his overall record is barely over .500. Compare that to what Rick Bennett has done at Union over the same seven seasons. Which would you consider the better hire, the big name or the assistant promoted from within?

Sean
                        So? What is the point of your post? Denver isn't BU. Western Michigan isn't BU. Andy Murray isn't Joe Sacco or anyone else. You cherry pick examples that have nothing to do with BU, I'm not sure what value you think those examples have. This is all just because I think Sacco would be a better head coach than O'Connell?

It is becoming more and more difficult to have a conversation about hockey around here. Maybe it's better to just discuss how David Quinn looks in a suit, and take the hockey discussion elsewhere?

Comment

So? What is the point of your post?

It is becoming more and more difficult to have a conversation about hockey around here. Maybe it's better to just discuss how David Quinn looks in a suit, and take the hockey discussion elsewhere?
                          Spitballin’ here, but it could be the caustic tone.
                          Go BU!

Comment

Maybe it's better to just discuss how David Quinn looks in a suit, and take the hockey discussion elsewhere?
                            Rogie approves

Comment

So? What is the point of your post? Denver isn't BU. Western Michigan isn't BU. Andy Murray isn't Joe Sacco or anyone else. You cherry pick examples that have nothing to do with BU, I'm not sure what value you think those examples have. This is all just because I think Sacco would be a better head coach than O'Connell?

No, other schools are not BU, but they faced the same choices BU has to make and I am just pointing out what they chose. If you only want example from BU how about BU went outside for Coach Quinn and according to you that was a failure? And no, this is all not just because you think Sacco would be a better head coach than O'Connell.

It is because I am trying to have a conversation about hockey with you and others, although you really don't really want a discussion, you just want everyone to agree with you.

As for Joe Sacco, you are correct, he is not Andy Murray, who was a much more successful head coach in the NHL.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

I wonder how long it will take for BU to come to a decision... should we predict an announcement this week?

Comment

Working...
                                X