X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ericredaxe
    replied
    Re: BU season thread volume 3.1 cause board/priceless/tippycanoe deleted ours

Is it starting to feel to anyone else that we may end up with both Albie and McEachern? Just not sure which might be head coach vs Associate?

Leave a comment:

• ericredaxe
    replied

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Granato was hired at UW and had a full academic year to complete his BS
    But maybe BU's requirements and UW are different.

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    I think the process has given us some good clues about how they felt about Quinn leaving and their expectations for how long he would stay at BU. If they want that badly to avoid losing a coach in the somewhat near term, they'll find whatever excuse they can to go with someone else. Also, maybe Sacco has one year of classes left and it couldn't be completed this summer. It sounds like Pandolfo's degree can be completed this summer.
    Agreed, I think that BU was taken off guard by Quinn leaving and fully expected him to be here until he retired... and maybe that was Quinn's intentions. As someone referenced earlier though, there is a difference between 12.5 million at one of the original 6 teams and other "regular" NHL head coach positions.

If the article is correct, Pandolfo has 2 classes to complete (he was here for 4 years) and that could be completed this summer we should assume. Big difference between that and (I assume) a full year of classes for Sacco (perhaps 8+ classes).

I also didn't know that McEachern completed his degree, but I assume that is the case based on what we have heard. If that ends up tipping the scales in his favor it was very smart of him to do so. (That being said, NHL contracts or not, I can't imagine why Sacco or Pandolfo, being that close to a degree would not have made an effort to complete it before now)

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
    I think the process has given us some good clues about how they felt about Quinn leaving and their expectations for how long he would stay at BU. If they want that badly to avoid losing a coach in the somewhat near term, they'll find whatever excuse they can to go with someone else. Also, maybe Sacco has one year of classes left and it couldn't be completed this summer. It sounds like Pandolfo's degree can be completed this summer.
    Granato was hired at UW and had a full academic year to complete his BS

Leave a comment:

• BU Fan 84
    replied

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    How close is Sacco to getting his degree? He spent 3 seasons as BU. Kind of weird to say, well you need a college degree and then... well... this guy is close enough so maybe you're ok and you can finish it up but the other guy, nah. Odd.

Leave a comment:

• BU Fan 84
    replied

I hadn't heard anything about Hynes reaching out to BU. I personally think that would be absolutely stupid of him to take the BU job. He's doing too good of a job in the NHL. On the other hand, if he did want the job, it would be ridiculously stupid of BU to not hire him. I wouldn't even bother to interview him. Just move right to salary negotiations. I wonder how serious his alleged back-channel communication was. Maybe BU figured there's no way we'd get him so they didn't want to waste the time.

Leave a comment:

• Nick Papagiorgio
    replied

Originally posted by Bomber View Post
    Here’s an interesting two paragraphs from the CHN story.

“Among other candidates considered, sources tell CHN that former NHL head coach Joe Sacco, currently an assistant with the Boston Bruins, is no longer under consideration due to not having his college degree. The Boston University administration appears steadfast on that necessity, which also rules out current AHL head coach Clark Donatelli.

Pandolfo also does not have a degree, despite playing four years for the Terriers. He signed with the New Jersey Devils following his senior season in 1996, and is two classes short. However, he is sufficiently close enough to getting his degree where it could work. Like with Tony Granato at Wisconsin, it's not believed that would stand in the way of Pandolfo getting the job, as he could finish his degree in short order, potentially even this summer.“
    How close is Sacco to getting his degree? He spent 3 seasons as BU. Kind of weird to say, well you need a college degree and then... well... this guy is close enough so maybe you're ok and you can finish it up but the other guy, nah. Odd.

Leave a comment:

• BU Fan 84
    replied

I tried to suggest this earlier regarding Greeley but didn't want to get into specifics. Now that it has been reported in an article, I can go into it more. Greeley was never interested in coming back to coach at BU. Not only did he interview for the Carolina GM position, but they offered it to him, too. He turned it down because they offered $400K/year. He wants a front office career, not a coaching career.

Leave a comment:

• MCWarrior1011
    replied

I had no idea McEachern graduated.

Leave a comment:

• joecct
    replied
    Originally posted by 25+years View Post
    I have another suggestion. One that seems only fair. Alain Vigneault.
    Arséne Wenger is still available.

Leave a comment:

• 25+years
    replied

“Among other candidates considered, sources tell CHN that former NHL head coach Joe Sacco, currently an assistant with the Boston Bruins, is no longer under consideration due to not having his college degree. The Boston University administration appears steadfast on that necessity, which also rules out current AHL head coach Clark Donatelli.

Pandolfo also does not have a degree, despite playing four years for the Terriers. He signed with the New Jersey Devils following his senior season in 1996, and is two classes short. However, he is sufficiently close enough to getting his degree where it could work. Like with Tony Granato at Wisconsin, it's not believed that would stand in the way of Pandolfo getting the job, as he could finish his degree in short order, potentially even this summer.“
    I have another suggestion. One that seems only fair. Alain Vigneault.

Leave a comment:

• ericredaxe
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    You are being too kind. His sr season ended in April and the kids are gone mid May. Couple weeks max. Sloppy

In fact that is a big red mark on an application for this job.
    Sloppy indeed.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    Well... the gap is probably from leaving after the end of hockey season his senior year....so he was probably her for 3 2/3 years.... but yes, would have been smarter to finish it off some summer if it is only 2 classes.
    You are being too kind. His sr season ended in April and the kids are gone mid May. Couple weeks max. Sloppy

In fact that is a big red mark on an application for this job.

Leave a comment:

• ericredaxe
    replied

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Not to mention someone else a tad lazy to not finish out while “being” here four years
    Well... the gap is probably from leaving after the end of hockey season his senior year....so he was probably her for 3 2/3 years.... but yes, would have been smarter to finish it off some summer if it is only 2 classes.

Leave a comment:

• mookie1995
    replied
    Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
    McEachern was smart to go back and finish is degree....
    Not to mention someone else a tad lazy to not finish out while “being” here four years

Leave a comment:

• ericredaxe
    replied

McEachern was smart to go back and finish is degree....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X