This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season: The Hunt for Red October

Today is 30 June 2018. There are 99 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Double digits *clap clap clap-clap-clap*

A good day.

Comment

I don' t have much first hand knowledge of Greeks from my day at RPI. I was an independent, and further, I lived with my family approximately 2 miles from campus.
        (And yes, when I was accepted by RPI I thought I won the lottery! Tom, I get that 'Proud to be RPI...') Working on The Poly, lunch with my commuter friends in the McNeil Room (we loved Willie Stanton)and close friends among my '77 classmates and particularly my Management classmates were my lifeline to my college experience.

I know lots of college age young people from my parish and I hear from them about health of Greek life at a number of schools. Some of the news re: substances, hazings and sexual assault is really hard to listen to, but I've never heard about RPI in that context except for a few incidents reported in the Albany Times Union.

If RPI were trying to 'get in front of this,' that would be one thing, but the administration's apparent desire to seek out ever-growing control over all facets of life at the 'Tute leaves me questioning even their motives in providing for public safety.

For folks who are familiar with Union College's approach to Greek life, I hope it never gets to that. From the 70's thru 00's, they may have well been Union dorms.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
          Double digits *clap clap clap-clap-clap*

A good day.
          Yes, it is...

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post
            For folks who are familiar with Union College's approach to Greek life, I hope it never gets to that. From the 70's thru 00's, they may have well been Union dorms.
            Given their proposal in 2006, I think it's sadly the end goal. And I may have another motive: Remember, in 2009, when they forced the kids to live on campus for two years? And then, tie into that the Summer Arch? The motive here is more money, because they're on the verge of being flat broke, and the alums don't want to support oppression. Who owns the Greek houses and collects the rent? Is it the fraternity itself, the 'tute, or someone else (Troy FD members own a number of apartments near RPI)? It wouldn't surprise me if it were the first one, and typical carpe diem is happening.

Comment

Originally posted by fr. joe View Post

I know lots of college age young people from my parish and I hear from them about health of Greek life at a number of schools. Some of the news re: substances, hazings and sexual assault is really hard to listen to, but I've never heard about RPI in that context except for a few incidents reported in the Albany Times Union.
              fr. joe, I can't tell you how surprised I am at your comments.

I will ask you the same question I asked Dude (for which I still haven't received an answer).
              How many such incidents will it take before you think the administration takes action?
              This is not about Greek life. It is about protecting the student body against themselves.
              I have a daughter who went to RPI and had the best time of her life. And for that reason, I love this school.
              They gave her incredible confidence and self esteem to go on and earn a Phd at Yale.
              I think that every woman on campus should get that same treatment, and not be subject to an "incident".
              Give it up, in this instance, the school is doing their job.
              And as for Tom, running away from a problem never solved anything.
              I will miss you and your hockey insight. Good luck with the rest of your life.
              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
              Benjamin Franklin
              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                It is about protecting the student body against themselves.
                And that, therein, lies the exact reason why we are disappointed with the administration. College is a way for kids to discover themselves, and make their own choices in life. They already have two parents they were "mind-slaves" to, and they don't need SAJ, or you, or anyone else to also be one. Yes, parents can influence a child's life, the same way we all influence our children, nieces/nephews, younger siblings, or whatever classification it may be. We cannot expect to wrest that as perpetual control, lest we end our family line at us.

This country succeeds on leaders, not followers. If it's just a bunch of followers, all you have is slavery. If college is supposed to produce leaders of tomorrow, how about we embrace that, and see who will emerge. If you're just going to have a slave master, then it's time to leave the plantation, just as Tom did, and create the better tomorrow that we see in our minds.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  And that, therein, lies the exact reason why we are disappointed with the administration. College is a way for kids to discover themselves, and make their own choices in life. They already have two parents they were "mind-slaves" to, and they don't need SAJ, or you, or anyone else to also be one. Yes, parents can influence a child's life, the same way we all influence our children, nieces/nephews, younger siblings, or whatever classification it may be. We cannot expect to wrest that as perpetual control, lest we end our family line at us.

This country succeeds on leaders, not followers. If it's just a bunch of followers, all you have is slavery. If college is supposed to produce leaders of tomorrow, how about we embrace that, and see who will emerge. If you're just going to have a slave master, then it's time to leave the plantation, just as Tom did, and create the better tomorrow that we see in our minds.
                  Who acts "in loco parentis"?
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post

You are absolutely right, except for one thing. We are talking about illegal activities. And someone has to be the policeman.
                    You still haven't answered my question. How many of these activities should we let go.
                    If women start coming out of the woodwork to make accusations and this goes national, who are you going to blame? Let me guess, it will be Shirley's fault. You can't have it both ways.
                    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                    Benjamin Franklin
                    The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                    Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                      fr. joe, I can't tell you how surprised I am at your comments.

I will ask you the same question I asked Dude (for which I still haven't received an answer).
                      How many such incidents will it take before you think the administration takes action?
                      This is not about Greek life. It is about protecting the student body against themselves.
                      I have a daughter who went to RPI and had the best time of her life. And for that reason, I love this school.
                      They gave her incredible confidence and self esteem to go on and earn a Phd at Yale.
                      I think that every woman on campus should get that same treatment, and not be subject to an "incident".
                      Give it up, in this instance, the school is doing their job.
                      And as for Tom, running away from a problem never solved anything.
                      I will miss you and your hockey insight. Good luck with the rest of your life.
                      EHF, very fair question to ask me.

I have a great concern for student safety. Even one incident of alcohol abuse or sexual assault is cause for concern and response. My comment was directed to the thought that I haven't heard about problems at RPI but for very limited reports I have seen in the local newspaper. I read more about incidents at other local colleges than at RPI. The press has rightly shined a light on this with their coverage.

It seems to me that problems would be related to the student body, not just fraternity/sorority life. You make a good point on that. Why did RPI focus on fraternities? Perhaps they have a greater level of confidence in the quality of dorm life under the oversight of Residence Life and the RAs. I just don't know.

I wish I had greater confidence in the administration's actions at this time. The administration's absorption of the Student Union and their handling of student free speech on campus has planted the seed in my head that what's happening now may be a response to student safety concerns and/or it may be borne out of a desire to extend greater control over the fraternities and sororities.
                      Last edited by fr. joe; 06-30-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

First off, EHF, I am not going to be answering your loaded question, because it is a preposterous thing to presume. Good and bad things are going to happen. You cannot realistically hope to smash out every single bad thing that happens, because like perfection, it is a goal you can chase but never catch.

Secondly, Fr. Joe, given this has happened several times, it is definitely all about control. They'll use safety as a façade to get the donkeys to agree to it, but you are absolutely correct in the alternative motive. I applaud your ability to look beyond what is directly in front of you.
                        Last edited by FlagDUDE08; 06-30-2018, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Here are RPI's reported crimes on campus as required by the US Dept of Education. This information is reported National Center for Educational Statistics. The last reported year is 2016.

2016 Crime Statistics

Arrests - On-Campus

Illegal weapons possession 0 0 0
                          Drug law violations 0 0 0
                          Liquor law violations 0 0 0

Arrests - On-Campus Residence Halls !

Illegal weapons possession 0 0 0
                          Drug law violations 0 0 0
                          Liquor law violations 0 0 0

Criminal Offenses - On-Campus

Murder/Non-negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
                          Negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
                          Rape 4 1 5
                          Fondling 1 2 0
                          Incest 0 0 0
                          Statutory rape 0 0 0
                          Robbery 0 0 0
                          Aggravated assault 0 0 1
                          Burglary 25 4 6
                          Motor vehicle theft 0 0 0
                          Arson 3 0 0

Criminal Offenses - On-Campus Residence Halls !

Murder/Non-negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
                          Negligent manslaughter 0 0 0
                          Rape 4 1 5
                          Fondling 1 2 0
                          Incest 0 0 0
                          Statutory rape 0 0 0
                          Robbery 0 0 0
                          Aggravated assault 0 0 1
                          Burglary 24 3 3
                          Motor vehicle theft 0 0 0
                          Arson 0 0 0

◾(!) Residence Halls are a subset of On-Campus statistics

◾The crime data reported by the institutions have not been subjected to independent verification by the U.S. Department of Education. Therefore, the Department cannot vouch for the accuracy of the data reported here.

◾These data do not include incidents that: (a) took place off campus on public property immediately adjacent to and accessible from the Campus; (b) took place on a noncampus building or property owned or controlled by a student organization that is officially recognized by the institution; or (c) incidents at buildings/property owned or controlled by an institution but is not contiguous to the institution. For further information, see http://ope.ed.gov/security.

Comment

Working...
                          X