This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
    This is true. The scholarship came down to another goalie in the NAHL and Bishop. Standbrook went down to one of their games when they played each other and went with the old adage "you can't teach size" as he told the other kid. Even though they liked him better than Bishop.
    And, the other goalie was ??

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      And, the other goalie was ??
      Jonathan Quick
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Jonathan Quick
        Bingo. Quick left a year earlier than Bishop to turn pro, where Quick has played in 223 more games (542 vs 319) and has 112 more wins (285 vs 173) than Bishop. Not to mention Quick's Conn Smythe, Wm Jennings, and two Lord Stanley Cups. But, at 6'1", he is not that small, just six inches shorter than Bishop. I still remember when the relatively smaller Trevor Smith steamrollered Bishop at Lake Whitt in February 2007 when Bishop carelessly strayed out of the crease when Smith was chasing after a loose puck. I recall that Bishop missed the remainder of that game and a few more following.

But, back to our Wildcats. We now have a double digit goal scorer in Blackburn! Unfortunately, he likely will be the only one this season, as I doubt that we get any goals tonight. Perhaps Tirone can stop another 45 tonight to give himself 90 saves in the two losses? I predict we lose 2-0 tonight, assuming that Maine stays out of the penalty box.
        Last edited by Snively65; 03-03-2018, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Bingo. Quick left a year earlier than Bishop to turn pro, where Quick has played in 223 more games (542 vs 319) and has 112 more wins (285 vs 173) than Bishop. Not to mention Quick's Conn Smythe, Wm Jennings, and two Lord Stanley Cups. But, at 6'1", he is not that small, just six inches shorter than Bishop. I still remember when the relatively smaller Trevor Smith steamrollered Bishop at Lake Whitt in February 2007 when Bishop carelessly strayed out of the crease when Smith was chasing after a loose puck. I recall that Bishop missed the remainder of that game and a few more following.

But, back to our Wildcats. We now have a double digit goal scorer in Blackburn! Unfortunately, he likely will be the only one this season, as I doubt that we get any goals tonight. Perhaps Tirone can stop another 45 tonight to give himself 90 saves in the two losses? I predict we lose 2-0 tonight, assuming that Maine stays out of the penalty box.
          Like to see a you tube of Bishop/Smith you describe! I saw Jonathan Q play at a charity game a couple of years ago; he was annoyed I think to work as hard as he had to...Yea the pragmatic fan in me agrees this will be our last game and I guess, it's time to pack it in. Not sure about the score; i hope the 'Cats put something on the board. Despite all of the knowledge here on this board (and evidence to the contrary) I am still not convinced this season's outcome, 1 win in 20...was to be expected. But never mind...it will all be over soon and I hope the Seniors will find good things along their paths ahead!!! Go 'Cats! Make it interesting tonight; make Maine have to work for it!!!!
          I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Bingo. Quick left a year earlier than Bishop to turn pro, where Quick has played in 223 more games (542 vs 319) and has 112 more wins (285 vs 173) than Bishop. Not to mention Quick's Conn Smythe, Wm Jennings, and two Lord Stanley Cups. But, at 6'1", he is not that small, just six inches shorter than Bishop.
            Quick turned pro with a team that needed a #1 goalie and was lucky enough to be able to very quickly grab that starting stop. Bishop was not as lucky and had to spend several years in the minors before he was finally given the opportunity to be a #1 goalie, which he also grabbed. Bishop has the better winning percentage in the regular season, 0.627 to 0.589, and playoffs, 0.618 to 0.568, but Quick and his team were able to win the 2 Stanley Cups, while Bishop and his team came up short.

In 2007-07, when both were the #1 goalie for their team both had very similar numbers. Head-to-head Bishop was 2-0 vs Quick. He missed the final 2 games of the regular season and the 2 quarterfinal playoff games, but returned to win the NCAA game vs UMass and Quick. The season before the two only met once, a tie.

Both are excellent goalies and have done very well in their careers.

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
            I will say this, what a great class man. And what a great person to go and fight so hard. He did more for UNH hockey then people would forget. You are all lucky because our coach died. Your coach was the best of all things. He knows and is a man and takes it. And also he is a great coach. In my opinion. He was fierce competition. And also a gentleman. All things considered, i wish he could coach umaine for 28 years. He is a very great coach. And you guys can win and will again. What an outstanding coach.... From Maine's spirit. So felger this is priceless. However having said this. Maine need wins, so we will be very hungry. As we have always been. Signed honey badger.
            Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Tim Whitehead had a decent track record at UMaine, arguably a condensed version of the "Umile experience" at UNH. A lot of close calls, never quite got there, etc. Handled himself with class, his teams battled hard. You folks tend to be fairly ambivalent about his time in charge, though (and that's probably being generous to you guys). Many of us who follow UNH kind of have many of the same feelings of ambivalence about Umile. Just sayin'.
            Coach Umile started his career at New Hampshire on a very somber note, as he took over for Coach Kullen who was ill and then died at the start of the 1990-91 season. It was Coach Kullen who had started the rebuilding of the Wildcats four seasons before and no one knows what he might have accomplished if he had lived and been able to return behind the bench. However, Coach Umile lead that team to a great season and followed it up with another great season on the way to 5 straight winning seasons and 20 out of 21 winning seasons. Similar to Coach Whitehead taking over at Maine, but with different outcomes.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

At least our 50th in PWR looks safe, as all those below us also lost yesterday.:-)

Comment

Well....here we are at the end of the 2nd period of game 2, Maine up 2-1. Unless I am mistaken, UNH is winless this season when behind after two periods.

Is this the 11th hour of the UNH season and Coach Umile's 28-year career???

Cueing up AC-DC's "He11's Bells".........
                UNH

Comment

Down a man with 3.5 left.

#596 #dingdongumilesgone #theresalwaysnextyear
                  Last edited by deltabravo62; 03-03-2018, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Well it's over....best wishes to the Seniors playing in their last games as Wildcats. Nice to see those of you on this board that I know at home and away games. Here's to...next year. Still have 2 bobbleheads to deliver?!?

Comment

A merciful end to what was, overall, a great era for UNH hockey. I'm excited about the new leadership and hope it will be as classy as the previous one.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        Quick turned pro with a team that needed a #1 goalie and was lucky enough to be able to very quickly grab that starting stop. Bishop was not as lucky and had to spend several years in the minors before he was finally given the opportunity to be a #1 goalie, which he also grabbed. Bishop has the better winning percentage in the regular season, 0.627 to 0.589, and playoffs, 0.618 to 0.568, but Quick and his team were able to win the 2 Stanley Cups, while Bishop and his team came up short.

In 2007-07, when both were the #1 goalie for their team both had very similar numbers. Head-to-head Bishop was 2-0 vs Quick. He missed the final 2 games of the regular season and the 2 quarterfinal playoff games, but returned to win the NCAA game vs UMass and Quick. The season before the two only met once, a tie.

Both are excellent goalies and have done very well in their careers.
                        With all due respect, Ben Bishop doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation with Jonathan Quick.

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                        Coach Umile started his career at New Hampshire on a very somber note, as he took over for Coach Kullen who was ill and then died at the start of the 1990-91 season. It was Coach Kullen who had started the rebuilding of the Wildcats four seasons before and no one knows what he might have accomplished if he had lived and been able to return behind the bench. However, Coach Umile lead that team to a great season and followed it up with another great season on the way to 5 straight winning seasons and 20 out of 21 winning seasons. Similar to Coach Whitehead taking over at Maine, but with different outcomes.
                        Yeah, I'm kinda familiar with the history. Both guys took over for deceased predecessors, and both had a good deal of success, but both never quite got their programs to the promised land atop D-1, as both lost twice in the FF Finals. You'll have to be a little more specific about "different outcomes", I'm afraid, 'cuz other than the fact that one guy stuck around for almost 30 years, and the other guy almost made just over a decade, both enjoyed the bulk of their success (close calls) in the first half of their respective careers, before presiding over gradual slides into nothingness by the time they left their programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                          Well it's over....best wishes to the Seniors playing in their last games as Wildcats. Nice to see those of you on this board that I know at home and away games. Here's to...next year. Still have 2 bobbleheads to deliver?!?
                          I seem to recall reading somewhere that there is a gathering of our thread posters to be scheduled at Libby's, right? :-)

I am actually now thinking that next season cannot be any worse than this season. Discuss.

Comment

What I learned tonight that if you wish someone good luck in retirement and don’t kick a man when he is down on a Facebook page it’s sarcastic and gets you kicked off.

Comment

What an absolute train wreck this season turned out to be. I really want to say that Coach Umile deserved better on his way out, but from all indications I'm aware of, he's reaping what he didn't sow over these last few seasons. He can't be strapped for cash, so it has to have been pride that forced him to continue when it was clear for all to see that the program was trending in a direction away from the one he'd hoped to finish up his career with. He's got one final chance in absentia to boost his final UNH legacy with Coach Souza, and if he turns out to be the one to return the program to where it was at least a decade ago, then I think you have to Umile credit for seeing something most of us haven't yet deciphered. If on the other hand, Souza isn't that guy, then the last three years AND the foreseeable short term future are both categorized as nothing short of a giant cluster&%$# that the rest of us are going to have to live with well into the next decade.

No pressure, Mike. It's all yours now, kiddo. Time to make the doughnuts ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Nifty16 View Post
                                What I learned tonight that if you wish someone good luck in retirement and don’t kick a man when he is down on a Facebook page it’s sarcastic and gets you kicked off.
                                Hmmmmmm well consider the source 😉

Comment

Working...
                                X