X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Nope wasn't at Center ice and when the penalty was announced it was called a "delay of game"...Vela didn't enter the face off when he should've?!?
    I thought that an NE player held up his hand to the refs as a sign of a cover up, but honestly could not see it. Did not need those 2 penalties late in the game. If we had any momentum it was in the third.
    Surprised there was no comment on the lines rolled out last night. Can't say it had an a huge impact on the offense and don't think it greatly affected us defensively as they are so much more skilled than we are. Their passing, ability to break it out, cycle in our end.... But fortunately they were not able to finish last night!
    My take on 1 goal games is in fact more positive. It indicates that you are in it and have a chance and is not a reflection of only how bad we are. To me it goes to those coach able moments and in game adjustments that we do not appear to be able to make. Role players are role player until you give them a different role. Ie, CK being encouraged to shoot. An effective roll player is much more effective than a roll player who don't know what and when and how.
    No Pollyanna here, but we got what we got, so can we make it better?
    Best observation of the week was I believe Dan, who noted that DU plays to win that night. Lots of material spins off of that comment.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      What is Coach's position on the NCAA men's hockey career ties list?
      Darius, I think that you nailed it. DU and BS35+5 have been hoodwinking us all along, as the real Quest may be indeed for the most ties. My non-fact-checked research on the internets (sic) indicates that DU and Jerwy are tied at 111 ties, just four short of none other than one Jackie Parker. As Chuck says, you cannot make up this stuff.
      Last edited by Snively65; 02-03-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
        I believe the most consecutive games without a win is 15 (during Charlie Holt's last season) - please correct me if I am wrong

If they don't find a way to win tonight, at home, against a team that has lost five in a row, they could enter Dick Umile Weekend with a chance to equal that mark...
        Like I’ve been saying, just like 1986.

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
          I thought that an NE player held up his hand to the refs as a sign of a cover up, but honestly could not see it. Did not need those 2 penalties late in the game. If we had any momentum it was in the third.
          Surprised there was no comment on the lines rolled out last night. Can't say it had an a huge impact on the offense and don't think it greatly affected us defensively as they are so much more skilled than we are. Their passing, ability to break it out, cycle in our end.... But fortunately they were not able to finish last night!
          My take on 1 goal games is in fact more positive. It indicates that you are in it and have a chance and is not a reflection of only how bad we are. To me it goes to those coach able moments and in game adjustments that we do not appear to be able to make. Role players are role player until you give them a different role. Ie, CK being encouraged to shoot. An effective roll player is much more effective than a roll player who don't know what and when and how.
          Best observation of the week was I believe Dan, who noted that DU plays to win that night. Lots of material spins off of that comment.
          Back to the point of the penalty. For those watching the stream there was an angle that clearly shows Vela reach down and scoop the puck back with his hand. That was the penalty called. The NE announcers were talking about the fact thata lot of the UNH guys were "cheating" the faceoff by not getting their stick on the ice first before the drop like they are supposed to as the road team. That is not worthy of a penalty but if caught will get that player thrown out of the faceoff. Not sure how those who were at the game live saw it but the video was pretty clear that he committed the faceoff violation penalty.

Anyway, take the tie but Northeastern pulled a Maine and could not hit a school bus with their shots last night. Tirone was the shining light on that game, he is lucky he did not get burned by the lack of coverage leading to those wide open chances. That was a 1-1 tie that played like a 3 or 4 to 1 loss. Hopefully they can take that result and pull together a W for ol' 599 tonight. Otherwise 599 might be a stretch.
          Last edited by deltabravo62; 02-03-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
            Back to the point of the penalty. For those watching the stream there was an angle that clearly shows Vela reach down and scoop the puck back with his hand. That was the penalty called. The NE announcers were talking about the fact thata lot of the UNH guys were "cheating" the faceoff by not getting their stick on the ice first before the drop like they are supposed to as the road team. That is not worthy of a penalty but if caught will get that player thrown out of the faceoff. Not sure how those who were at the game live saw it but the video was pretty clear that he committed the faceoff violation penalty.

Anyway, take the tie but Northeastern pulled a Maine and could not hit a school bus with their shots last night. Tirone was the shining light on that game, he is lucky he did not get burned by the lack of coverage leading to those wide open chances. That was a 1-1 tie that played like a 3 or 4 to 1 loss. Hopefully they can take that result and pull together a W for ol' 599 tonight. Otherwise 599 might be a stretch.
            Right or wrong (and sure, it was the 'correct' call) it's still a terrible rule - so players can hand pass all over the ice and it's just a face-off. But if you hand-pass a face-off it's a penalty? Especially in a big moment. It wreaks of someone seeing an occasional hand-won face-off and deciding to punish it with an overly harsh sentence. How often does this even occur that their needs to be a rule!? We've already discussed how irrelevant face-off wins really are. Just re-drop the puck and kick Vela out. There is no need to give the refs more meaningless opportunities to impact close games. Let the boys play...
            Last edited by Dan; 02-03-2018, 02:16 PM.
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post

Rule 613 reads that the attacking team must put stick to ice first in face-offs, except at center ice, where it is the visiting team. The rule goes on to cover illegal hand passes, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                Rule 613 reads that the attacking team must put stick to ice first in face-offs, except at center ice, where it is the visiting team. The rule goes on to cover illegal hand passes, etc.
                Thanks for the rules info snives. A nuance of the faceoff I was not aware of. This is consistent with what the NU broadcaster said and I was taken aback on it. I wonder if Vela was/is aware of this rule as well. In any event a bad penalty at that moment and kudos ti UNH on the kill.
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                  Thanks for the rules info snives. A nuance of the faceoff I was not aware of. This is consistent with what the NU broadcaster said and I was taken aback on it. I wonder if Vela was/is aware of this rule as well. In any event a bad penalty at that moment and kudos ti UNH on the kill.
                  Gonna be there tonight e.cat?
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Gonna be there tonight e.cat?
                    Cant make it tonight unfortunately. Will be there bith nights for UVM though!
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                      Like most things, I think context counts for a lot. Last night's tie looks pretty good considering the participants. The Brown tie looks horrific. Similarly, the second Yukon loss is of the "we were in the game and had a chance" variety while the loss at home was just pathetic. In the end, it's hard to disagree with the Big Tuna.
                      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

So now that's what 12 games that could have gone either way?!? I know woulda coulda shoulda!
                        Curious how you got to the number 12. Don't you mean 14 games which could have gone either way?
                        UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          Maybe. We've been touting one-goal losses and ties as hope for four years now. I think when the sample size gets this large you have to wonder if the team just isn't good enough to win close games. Here are totals for one-goal losses and ties the past four years...

2015 - 9
                          2016 - 16
                          2017 - 9
                          2018 - 12

Do those numbers indicate a team that's unlucky? Or a team that loses a lot?
                          I suspect we agree here. I've always thought margin of loss is pretty irrelevant at this level. Lots of one goal games become two or three goal games due to ENG's. A loss is a loss is a loss. If you're in a lot of close games and lose most of them, there's no bonus points. Sometimes better teams simply can coast with a lead, and turn the switch back on if/when you equalize. Or sometimes get a little lazy or complacent, holding a multi-goal lead and giving up an ultimately meaningless late goal to narrow the margin.

Talent.

Coaching.

Leadership.

If you get better in all three areas, those close losses turn into close wins. Not that complicated.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            I suspect we agree here. I've always thought margin of loss is pretty irrelevant at this level. Lots of one goal games become two or three goal games due to ENG's. A loss is a loss is a loss. If you're in a lot of close games and lose most of them, there's no bonus points. Sometimes better teams simply can coast with a lead, and turn the switch back on if/when you equalize. Or sometimes get a little lazy or complacent, holding a multi-goal lead and giving up an ultimately meaningless late goal to narrow the margin.

Talent.

Coaching.

Leadership.

If you get better in all three areas, those close losses turn into close wins. Not that complicated.
                            I do believe that some teams can look at one-goal losses and see a pattern of misfortune. However, if a team truly has been unlucky than those close losses will even out at some point. If they don't even out over a larger sample than you have to wonder if you're just not that good. A rushed look at UNH's record in one goal games over the last four years indicates a 7-28 mark. That's an awful record in close games over a large sample size - and yes, indicates a team that simply loses a lot IMO...

The stat that I hate is the old team record when leading/trailing after one or two periods. The better team often wins the first period and the first two and the game! Those stats are completely useless. Almost every single team will show a good record when leading after two - because they're likely the better team (or playing better) in all those games they led after two. They trumpet those stats on TV/radio broadcasts all the time as if they mean anything. It's a major eye roll level of commentary...

Case in point - as bad as this UNH team is they're 9-1-2 when they lead after two. Find me a team that doesn't have gaudy numbers in that scenario...
                            Last edited by Dan; 02-03-2018, 06:07 PM.
                            Live Free or Die!!
                            Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                              Eighty per cent of the game was played in the UNH end. There better be some offense in the pipeline because what they have right now is pathetic.
                              Not yet...

Souza Recruits Goal Scoring in Jr. (As of 1/31)
                              Crookshank - 32 GP / 17 G
                              Stevenson - 30 GP / 7 G
                              Wazny - 34 GP / 6 G
                              Verrier - 30 GP / 3 G
                              Green - 31 GP / 2 G
                              Bahn - 30 GP / 1 G
                              Totals: 187 GP / 36 G (.19 goals per game)

Borek Holdovers Jr Goals
                              Cippolone - 37 GP / 17 G **
                              Esposito - 35 GP / 9 G
                              Totals: 72 GP / 26 G
                              Combined Totals: 259 GP / 62 G (.24 goals per game)

** weak Jr League (9 goals in 63 career USHL games)

Possible/Likely Ability for Prep Level Scorers Translating to JRs
                              Pierson - 23 G / 29 G (possible)
                              Stutzle - 24 G / 31 G (likely)
                              McEllhaney - 11 G / 23 G (unlikely)
                              Sweeney - 6 G / 19 G (unlikely)
                              Last edited by Dan; 02-03-2018, 06:29 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                                I do believe that some teams can look at one-goal losses and see a pattern of misfortune. However, if a team truly has been unlucky than those close losses will even out at some point. If they don't even out over a larger sample than you have to wonder if you're just not that good. A rushed look at UNH's record in one goal games over the last four years indicates a 7-28 mark. That's an awful record in close games over a large sample size - and yes, indicates a team that simply loses a lot IMO...

The stat that I hate is the old team record when leading/trailing after one or two periods. The better team often wins the first period and the first two and the game! Those stats are completely useless. Almost every single team will show a good record when leading after two - because they're likely the better team (or playing better) in all those games they led after two. They trumpet those stats on TV/radio broadcasts all the time as if they mean anything. It's a major eye roll level of commentary...

Case in point - as bad as this UNH team is they're 9-1-2 when they lead after two. Find me a team that doesn't have gaudy numbers in that scenario...
                                What is Cats' record when scoring first?

Comment

Working...
                                X