X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2017/2018 - Umile's Last Stand - The Grand Finale

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Like to say that Danny Tirrone played a heck of a series up in Orono, a tip of the cap/kudo's to him as he kept UNH in both games right till the end...I have noticed that many posters here think he was somewhat over-rated but against Maine he had our number big time...he did quite a job and was outstanding even in a series/season ending losses.
    Tirone took a lot of heat from some posters, but not from me. Was he Conklin or Regan? No. But he was a lot better than some of the goalies others were comparing him to (Digirolamo, et als), and even when he didn't play well, it was hardly his fault that whenever he left the door open for the likes of Clark or Robinson (most recently as of last weekend vs. NU), those guys weren't good enough to take their opportunities. Should they have gotten more opportunities? Maybe. We don't see practices, and we're not privy to coaching discussions, but as the adage goes ... the most popular guy (fan-wise) on a failing team is always the back-up quarterback (or goalie).

Truth be told, this year's team with Conklin still doesn't get to .500 and bows out in the MBPBEGAM round. And unless there's a huge improvement in front of him, Taylor (with all the recent hype) will fare the same next year.

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    If 1932 is not going to post here going forward, we can take turns posting upbeat themes as target practice for the others. You, too, e.cat. :-)
    1932 has threatened this before. I'm sure he'll be back at some point. This place is like catnip to him ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Welp the other 'Cats' are out of the MBPBEGAM HE tourney losing to UMass 5-1...meow. Catnip anyone? 😉
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Welp the other 'Cats' are out of the MBPBEGAM HE tourney losing to UMass 5-1...meow. Catnip anyone? 😉
        We may have claimed the basement in the HEA, but at least our overall record was better than UVM's, slightly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          We may have claimed the basement in the HEA, but at least our overall record was better than UVM's, slightly.
          Oops, but now at #52, several places below UVM in the PWR, even below Alabama-Huntsville. And, no longer in control of our own destiny.

Comment

USCHO rolls out the obligatory plaudits for Coach Umile (and also gets Saturday night's final score wrong):

http://www.uscho.com/hockey-east-blo...r-comes-close/

When 28 years gets you a nondescript paragraph-and-a-half in the conference's weekly blog ...

Was there any video of the post-game press conference in Orono on Saturday night?
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
              Bingo.
              Uhhhhhhh. No.
              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Really a sad way to end the career for Dick. Great guy, great coach. Had some great teams that played fantastic, up and down clean hockey. No clutch and grab nonsense.

Would have been great to see him win the big one. But just wasn't in the cards.

Next chapter in UNH hockey history begins and we'll have to wait and see how it goes.
                Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                  USCHO rolls out the obligatory plaudits for Coach Umile (and also gets Saturday night's final score wrong):
                  My guess is many of the writers already had the story completed and either had already submitted it before the "late" UNH goal or just forgot to go back and change it. I mean, who thought it wasn't over after Maine scored the third goal?

Comment

Originally posted by RossiRules View Post
                    OMG you peeps knock Umile on his way out! Are you all insane? You talk about your program like you were Minnesota. Hell until Ralph Cox showed up UNH wasn’t that relevant at all. Think about it ? Least you forget that before DU took the reigns in 1990 UNH had 3 NCAA appearances in 66 years! But since, you have had 18 appearances in 27 years with his .611 winning %. Enough crying! The landscape of college hockey has changed and with most players not playing in the top level of Pros, thus a statement like UNH should never be last in Hockey East is utter lunacy. Work on improving the schools academic reputation and come back to me with why BU and BC dominate this league year in and year out. In fact Northeastern recent climb to credibility over the last 10 seasons may have as much to do with it’s incredible strides in academics to a top TIER ranked university as who it has hired for a coach. You can talk about Parker and York all you want but do you think if they had been at Lowell and Maine respectively they would have had the success they had! Please!
                    Rossi, focus on Northeastern since you know zero about UNH Hockey. First, the NCAA tournament started in 1948, 70 years ago. At that time UNH was not eligible because, not only were they not Division 1, but they didn't even have a rink. Snively opened in 1965 and two years later UNH became a Division 1 school. A few notable players who graduated before Ralph Cox even enrolled (Fall, 1975) were Louis Frigon, Gordie Clark, Cliff Cox (no relation), Jamie Hislop, Cap Raeder, John Gray, Guy Smith, most of whom played professional hockey in either the NHL or WHA. UNH started Division 1 play in 1967 and, since I'm familiar with both schools, had way more of an impact on college hockey in its first 10 years than Northeastern every did under the immortal Jim Bell (do you know who he even is?) Five years after turning D1, they made the ECAC semifinals in 1972, and were #1 nationally in 1974. I dare say that if the NCAA had a 16 team tournament back then, UNH would have made it in all but one year in the 1970s. UNH was quite competitive during its first 16 or 17 years in D1, until the roof caved in. They then had a bad stretch of five years or so before they finally made the HE semis in 1990. Then they were off and running until the roof again caved in five years ago. But, bottom line, I'll match up UNH's success in hockey with Northeastern's any day of the week. Hopefully you aren't delusional enough to accept the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

http://www.uscho.com/hockey-east-blo...r-comes-close/

When 28 years gets you a nondescript paragraph-and-a-half in the conference's weekly blog ...

Was there any video of the post-game press conference in Orono on Saturday night?
                      Further evidence of the increasing irrelevance of the UNH hockey program this weekend. Appeared to me that none of the local media had coverage up in Orono. Yes, I know that media. like the rest of the world has changed. But couldn't believe that Fosters, nor Union Leader thought it was noteworthy enough to cover. (we'll see what the media world is like when Souza retires in 2046.)

I found quotes from Umile in BDN article about the Friday game but nothing in the article about Saturday's.
                      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                        Further evidence of the increasing irrelevance of the UNH hockey program this weekend. Appeared to me that none of the local media had coverage up in Orono. Yes, I know that media. like the rest of the world has changed. But couldn't believe that Fosters, nor Union Leader thought it was noteworthy enough to cover. (we'll see what the media world is like when Souza retires in 2046.)

I found quotes from Umile in BDN article about the Friday game but nothing in the article about Saturday's.
                        yes, very little has been said about the series, with the local papers relying on newsfeeds from the Maine papers. I'd like to see someone like Ryan O'Leary (if I have that right) from Fosters do a final story as he's usually pretty right on. But I'm doubting that's really going to happen...I mean, what can you say / that hasn't already been said about this season? Still, I think it (the season) needs some kind of wrap up, with reflections about the future. That would be nice and while most of the fan base has/should move on from this, some might be interested. Guess we'll have to settle for a final analysis from WIS Productions????? Yes, we're waiting..

Ps...I mean, there's this from the College Hockey News and ouch on the 'also ran' comment..that is really sad...UNH hockey should NEVER be seen as an 'also ran' program...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Sweep-Ends.php
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-05-2018, 02:59 PM.
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                          Rossi, focus on Northeastern since you know zero about UNH Hockey. First, the NCAA tournament started in 1948, 70 years ago. At that time UNH was not eligible because, not only were they not Division 1, but they didn't even have a rink. Snively opened in 1965 and two years later UNH became a Division 1 school. A few notable players who graduated before Ralph Cox even enrolled (Fall, 1975) were Louis Frigon, Gordie Clark, Cliff Cox (no relation), Jamie Hislop, Cap Raeder, John Gray, Guy Smith, most of whom played professional hockey in either the NHL or WHA. UNH started Division 1 play in 1967 and, since I'm familiar with both schools, had way more of an impact on college hockey in its first 10 years than Northeastern every did under the immortal Jim Bell (do you know who he even is?) Five years after turning D1, they made the ECAC semifinals in 1972, and were #1 nationally in 1974. I dare say that if the NCAA had a 16 team tournament back then, UNH would have made it in all but one year in the 1970s. UNH was quite competitive during its first 16 or 17 years in D1, until the roof caved in. They then had a bad stretch of five years or so before they finally made the HE semis in 1990. Then they were off and running until the roof again caved in five years ago. But, bottom line, I'll match up UNH's success in hockey with Northeastern's any day of the week. Hopefully you aren't delusional enough to accept the challenge.
                          Excellent post! We had the outdoor Batchelder Rink, just no arena pre-1965. Dude Thorn (W) and Brad Houston (D) were awesome in the initial Snively 1965-66 season, even if we were only ECAC-2 (went ECAC the next season, I think), and those two did not go far if anywhere in the pro's. Houston coached at Colgate 1969-70 (asst) to 1975-75 (head). I also saw Colin Clark make 70 saves in a regulation game at Snively that season (Houston not so awesome on D in that one, I guess. ). Dave O'Connor from that 1965-66 team became UNH assistant coach from 1976-77 to 1986-87, and head in 1987-88, then assistant again in 1991-92.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            yes, very little has been said about the series, with the local papers relying on newsfeeds from the Maine papers. I'd like to see someone like Ryan O'Leary (if I have that right) from Fosters do a final story as he's usually pretty right on. But I'm doubting that's really going to happen...I mean, what can you say / that hasn't already been said about this season? Still, I think it (the season) needs some kind of wrap up, with reflections about the future. That would be nice and while most of the fan base has/should move on from this, some might be interested. Guess we'll have to settle for a final analysis from WIS Productions????? Yes, we're waiting..

Ps...I mean, there's this from the College Hockey News and ouch on the 'also ran' comment..that is really sad...UNH hockey should NEVER be seen as an 'also ran' program...

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...Sweep-Ends.php
                            Wherrrrre's Al Pike?

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                              Uhhhhhhh. No.
                              No? How so?

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                                Rossi, focus on Northeastern...
                                sometimes i wonder if Rossi really is a Northeastern fan. Pls take everything he says with a grain of salt. We do, in the NU thread.
                                Every once a while a blind squirrel finds a nut.. & he'll post something to think about. Other than that, grab some popcorn and have a laugh (at his expense).

One thing i can agree with him on, best to Coach Umile.
                                GO NU HOCKEY
                                Always bullish on the future.
                                We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X