Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

    Originally posted by TigerFan86-87 View Post
    - More likely to be top-20.
    - More common opponents with non AHC teams battling for the top-15 rankings.
    - Usually better SOS and opponents' SOS (depending whom you put on your OOC schedule, of course).
    - Big-4 conferences have better (in some cases much better) overall OOC records.
    Okay, the first two make sense, but the second two are only affected by who's on your schedule, not what your result is against any given team. In fact, losing to those teams helps their SOS.


    Powers &8^]

    Comment


    • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

      Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      But what is it that makes five OOC losses worth more than five conference losses?
      Powers &8^]
      Think of it this way:

      - Lose five conference games and when it comes time to compare in PWR against your conference-mates those are just a sub-sample of twenty-some games when doing PWR against conference-mates.

      - Lose five non-conf games (say one against each conference, so you're 0-1 against that conference) when it comes common-opponents time in PWR you lost to a team from say the WCHA and any team in the WCHA that has a better record against that same team wins that PWR category against you.

      Yes, not scientific, more of a thought exercise, but that's how it effectively plays out.
      The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

      North Dakota Hockey:

      Comment


      • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

        Think of the "opponent's opponents" segment of the RPI. If RIT loses to Air Force, Air Force is an "opponent's opponent" to every other conference team on our schedule. A loss to them actually helps RIT's "opponent's opponents" portion of the RPI because all of our other conference brethren also play Air Force who now has a slightly stronger record. If RIT plays just 1 team from another conference (additionally say that no one else from our conference plays that team) and loses, then the win for that team does not affect our "opponent's opponents" segment of the RPI at all because we don't play anyone else that played against that team.

        Sorry if this isn't very clear. I'm having trouble getting the wording correct for clarity's sake here. Another way to look at it is that the overall conference record of all in-conference games is going to always be .500. The only way to improve the overall conference record (a big component of both opponent's record and opponent's opponents record) is for the teams in the conference to win non-conference games.

        Originally posted by The Sicatoka
        Think of it this way:

        - Lose five conference games and when it comes time to compare in PWR against your conference-mates those are just a sub-sample of twenty-some games when doing PWR against conference-mates.

        - Lose five non-conf games (say one against each conference, so you're 0-1 against that conference) when it comes common-opponents time in PWR you lost to a team from say the WCHA and any team in the WCHA that has a better record against that same team wins that PWR category against you.

        Yes, not scientific, more of a thought exercise, but that's how it effectively plays out.
        Common opponents actually never comes into play unless you have a head to head meeting against a team as well. The only way to lose a pairwise comparison to a team that has a worse RPI than you is to both lose a head to head game AND lose the common opponents tiebreaker.

        Look at the current pairwise: it literally tracks 1-61 in RPI rank. As (I think) Ed said earlier, RPI is by far the most important component of the pairwise. Get a top 10-15 RPI, and you will be in the discussion.
        Last edited by jflory81; 11-17-2017, 05:12 PM.

        Comment


        • How gassed was the team in the third period?
          I shut off the broadcast in the second but it seems they hung close
          RIT Tigers

          Got one foot in the crease

          Comment


          • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

            Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
            How gassed was the team in the third period?
            I shut off the broadcast in the second but it seems they hung close
            Based on Coach Wilson's quotation in the RIT press release, they didn't play well. Though the release itself says they fought hard for the equalizer with the extra attacker but couldn't get the puck in.


            Powers &8^]

            Comment


            • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

              Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
              How gassed was the team in the third period?
              I shut off the broadcast in the second but it seems they hung close
              They couldn't stay out of the box, which is S.O.P for this team as well as any visiting team to Colorado Springs. Air Force's PP kept them in the game and won it for them.
              RIT

              Comment


              • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

                Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                They couldn't stay out of the box, which is S.O.P for this team as well as any visiting team to Colorado Springs. Air Force's PP kept them in the game and won it for them.
                More accurately they couldn't kill the power plays they did face. 4 times shorthanded isn't an outrageous number by any means and is hardly "not being able to stay out of the box".

                Comment


                • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

                  Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                  More accurately they couldn't kill the power plays they did face. 4 times shorthanded isn't an outrageous number by any means and is hardly "not being able to stay out of the box".
                  RIT is actually 55th out of 60 teams in penalty minutes. But they've only gotten 17 power plays in seven league games.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
                    RIT is actually 55th out of 60 teams in penalty minutes. But they've only gotten 17 power plays in seven league games.
                    But you have to admit that the first one in Friday night was as stupid as they come as far as getting caught!
                    RIT Tigers

                    Got one foot in the crease

                    Comment


                    • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

                      I'll take a split in Colorado Springs any year.


                      Powers &8^]

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        I'll take a split in Colorado Springs any year.


                        Powers &8^]
                        Yep... And how many times have the Tiger's stunk it up in OCC games but ended up going deep into the playoffs and the tournament? The heck with PWR and the rest! 😁
                        RIT Tigers

                        Got one foot in the crease

                        Comment


                        • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

                          Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                          Yep... And how many times have the Tiger's stunk it up in OCC games but ended up going deep into the playoffs and the tournament? The heck with PWR and the rest! 😁
                          The year they went to the Frozen Four, RIT did not win an OOC game in the regular season.
                          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                          2010 Frozen Four participant
                          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

                          Member of the infamous Corner Crew

                          Comment


                          • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

                            Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
                            Think of it this way:

                            - Lose five conference games and when it comes time to compare in PWR against your conference-mates those are just a sub-sample of twenty-some games when doing PWR against conference-mates.

                            - Lose five non-conf games (say one against each conference, so you're 0-1 against that conference) when it comes common-opponents time in PWR you lost to a team from say the WCHA and any team in the WCHA that has a better record against that same team wins that PWR category against you.

                            Yes, not scientific, more of a thought exercise, but that's how it effectively plays out.
                            The thing is also who you beat. The loss against RPI hurts some because they have a terrible record so far. However, I think the tie against Northeasstern helps a lot more because they are a top team. Beating UConn would be nice, but won't exactly move the needle in the computers because UConn is not that good. If they can get at least 1 win against Providence then that would help against more teams.
                            2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
                            2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
                            2010 Frozen Four participant
                            2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

                            Member of the infamous Corner Crew

                            Comment


                            • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

                              Originally posted by komey1 View Post
                              The thing is also who you beat. The loss against RPI hurts some because they have a terrible record so far.
                              See, this is what I don't get. According to the RPI (Ratings Percentage Index) math, losing to RPI (Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute) doesn't hurt our numbers any more than any losing to Union does.


                              Powers &8^]

                              Comment


                              • Re: RIT Tigers 2017 / 2018. Is time to go out and capture some prey!

                                Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
                                Yep... And how many times have the Tiger's stunk it up in OCC games but ended up going deep into the playoffs and the tournament? The heck with PWR and the rest! 😁
                                Exactly, except instead of "going deep" it should say "winning". The Tigers have only ever made the tournament by winning the AHC.
                                Which is really where the focus for this team should be. The odds of an at-large bid just aren't good enough to spend a whole lot of energy thinking about unless it becomes a real possibility in February.
                                THE way to the NCAA's is still winning the AHC playoffs.
                                Can't we all just get along?
                                Always remember... This is just a game we're talking about here. Let's not take it all too seriously.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X