Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brothers on NCAA D1 teams

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    Yeeeeeeeeeeeah, except they played for different teams.

But since we're on the subject.....

In addition to the Gilroys and Saponaris, BU had the identical twins Mark and Mike Bavis, and the Lappins, who wore out their welcome and headed to SLU.
    and you forget Joe and Dave?!?! (i'll allow you weren't around for the Meaghers )
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
      and you forget Joe and Dave?!?! (i'll allow you weren't around for the Meaghers )
      Ack - I knew there was another pair!!!

Comment

Probably the best known pair to play at the same time were the Fusco brothers at Harvard who both won the Hobey Baker Award. When Mark was a senior winning the award Scott led the Ivy League in scoring. Scott also has the distinction of not only being a Hobey Baker winner but playing with two other winners, the other being Lane MacDonald.

Comment

UNH has had many players who've had brothers play for other ncaa teams. In recent years, UNH had Colin and Brett Hemingway. Colin was a the far better player as the older brother. They also had Greg Collins who was the younger brother of BC's Chris Collins. Chris(older) was an all-american at BC while Greg was mostly a checking line player for UNH. James van Riemsdyk just left UNH after his sophomore year to sign with Philly and has had a solid rookie campaign. His younger brother, Trevor just committed to UNH for the fall of 2011 and is far less heralded than his older brother. Jay Camper, younger brother of Miami's Carter Camper, is also committed to UNH.
          Currently playing for UNH with brothers who have also played in the ncaa are Matt Campanale (brother Chris just finished playing for AIC, Scott Pavelski (brother Joe played for Wisconsin), Blake Kessel (brother Phil played for Minnesota).
          "Oh No! Not Maine! Then where would we get our deodorant that doesn't work?!"-Stephen Colbert

Comment

That's one of my themes on my blog - you can find past entries here: http://hockeyphotography.com/blog/category/siblings/

A couple of sets I haven't done yet are currently playing with Dartmouth:

Jim and Joe Gaudet (also happen to be the coach's sons)
            Connor and Mark Goggin

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
            HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
            HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Does the NCAA have an answer for the success of eric, mark, and Jordan staal?

Comment

NMU tends to keep it in the family. We've had both Olver brothers-- Darin ('03-'07) and now Mark ('07-present). At the moment, we have both Ray and Kory Kaunisto. Ray is by far the better player at the moment, but he's a senior and Kory's a freshman, so there's a chance for him to blossom.

Also, both coaches Walt and John Kyle played for NMU.
                Always a Wildcat...
                Originally posted by Kepler
                If you quote the derp you are spreading the derp. Please help keep the board derp-free.

Comment

Brothers Who Played at Denver

Glenn Anderson
                  David Anderson

Doug Berry
                  Ken Berry
                  Dave Berry

Matt Carle
                  David Carle (Student Asst.)

Jon Cook
                  Steven Cook

Kevin Dineen
                  Shawn Dineen

Lex Hudson
                  Barry Hudson

Bruce Jackson
                  Hugh Jackson

Kyle Ostrow
                  Shawn Ostrow

Tom Peluso
                  Jim Peluso

David Robinson
                  Scott Robinson

Wayne Wiste
                  Jim Wiste

Frank Xavier
                  Tom Xavier

Drew Shore
                  Nick Shore (coming to DU)

Father & Sons

Buddy Blom
                  Zach Blom

Ron Grahame
                  Jason Grahame

Uncle & Nephew

Bill Pettinger
                  Matt Pettinger
                  DU HOCKEY 1958 1960 1961 1968 1969 2004 2005 2017 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU SKIING 1954 1955 1956 1957 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1969 1970 1971 2000 2001 2002 2005 2008 2009 2010 2014 2016 2018 NCAA CHAMPIONS

DU LACROSSE 2015 NCAA CHAMPIONS

MATT CARLE WINNER OF 2006 HOBEY BAKER AWARD

Geoff Paukovich: That's why I came to Denver, to beat CC.

Comment

For PC:
                    The Cavanaughs
                    The Omiciolis
                    The Wilsons

...and people who I wasn't around for.

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
                    -Blackadder
                    "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
                    -Casablanca
                    "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
                    -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Northeastern has a pair of twins, Justin and Drew Daniels, both freshman this year.

Vermont was a year away with Viktor and Sebastien Stalberg....
                      MATTHEWS ARENA

100 YEARS OF HOCKEY HISTORY

Comment

Originally posted by mwade View Post
                        A couple of sets I haven't done yet are currently playing with Dartmouth:

Jim and Joe Gaudet (also happen to be the coach's sons)
                        Connor and Mark Goggin
                        Don't forget Walsh brothers (currently on the roster): sophmore Nick and freshman Dustin!

To answer one of the first posters' question, I think the younger ones in the non-Gaudet brother set are better, as Mark Goggin and Dustin Walsh are drafted and their older siblings are not.

We have brother of an alum coming in 2010, Nick Lovejoy, who is Ben's brother. Ben graduated in 2006 and is currently in the Pens system and has been between NHL and AHL a lot. Ben Lovejoy also holds the distinction of being one of the few players (if not the only one) who scored a point on Thompson Arena ice *against* Dartmouth in a non-exhibition game (he did it playing for Boston College as a freshman before transferring to Dartmouth.)

We also have Taylor Boldt of USHL's Indiana Ice committed to play, who might be a relative of the currentl Dartmouth captain Peter Boldt. If he is related to Peter, he'd be the 15th member of the Boldt Family to attend Dartmouth (Peter is 14th).

There must have been other Dartmouth brother pairings in the past of our hockey team, but I can't think of any at the moment. Will post when I find them.
                        Dartmouth College: NCAAs 1948 1949 1960 1979 1980
                        University of Massachusetts: NCAAs 2007, ECAC Div. II Champs 1972

"When in doubt, use brute force." -- Ken Thompson

Comment

Colgate has Charles (Senior) and Christian (Freshman) Long, apparently the first set of brothers to play for Don Vaughan.

Sophomore Kevin McNamara has three younger brothers, one of which is headed to Colgate next year according to Heisenberg. There could possibly be three McNamara's playing at Gate if the second youngest brother comes to Hamilton during Kevin's red-shirt senior season (2011-2012).

Comment

Originally posted by Bullmoose View Post
                            Don't forget Walsh brothers (currently on the roster): sophmore Nick and freshman Dustin!
                            I thought I remembered being told there were 3 sets, but had the 1/18 box score printout on my desk and Dustin Walsh did not play (and I was too lazy to go look online for a missing set).

I thought I was being good by not just reciting a bunch of BC ones from the past and going with a different school :-).

Help repair my camera gear before the new season starts
                            HockeyPhotography.com - use search to find images of your favorite college player and order prints
                            HockeyPhotos on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by RockTheWhit View Post
                              UNH has had many players who've had brothers play for other ncaa teams. In recent years, UNH had Colin and Brett Hemingway. Colin was a the far better player as the older brother...
                              To be fair, Brett scored 134 career points to Colin's 147. Brett would have gotten a lot more acclaim and a lot less message board criticism if he hadn't followed big brother, who really exploded as an upperclassman...

The Haydars (Jeff & Darren) also overlapped for one season at UNH - with Darren, the younger brother, certainly being the better player. However, Darren arrived at UNH first and Jeff eventually transferred from Wilfraud Laurier...

Darren finished his junior year with 18-23--41, while Jeff posted a modest 3-10--13 in his only season in Durham. Darren finished his UNH career with 102 goals and 219 points.
                              Last edited by Dan; 01-27-2010, 11:18 PM.
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Don't forget about the Lamoureux Family....
                                All 6 siblings are playing or played collegent hockey...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...06/1/index.htm
                                ESOX
                                Badger Fan at heart, but its hard not to love the Sioux...

A friend will bail you out of jail.
                                A true friend will be sitting next to you in Jail.
                                A teamate will open the door of the cop car so you don't go to jail.

Freshman demands... I Want:
                                to go toe 2 toe W/ Ron Hextall in his prime..
                                to watch the 1980 National champioship game live..
                                Dave haxstall to smile..
                                to shoot on Ed Belfour in his prime...
                                the annual water polo game back, and make it real this time...

Comment

Working...
                                X