Brothers on NCAA D1 teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brothers on NCAA D1 teams

It is my understanding that there are 11 sets of brothers on NCAA Division 1 Hockey teams. For the most part one of the two is a force on a team. Is it likely that the older one was recruited with the younger one in mind as well? How often is the older one the dominant brother? At BC we have seen recently the Greene brothers with Matt playing an important role on a championship team while older brother Justin played sparingly. Yet now BC has the Whitney brothers both have been high on assists, Joe an accomplished Junior star with 18 points and Steven a talented freshman who shows plenty of potential with 10 points. Another pair of brothers doing very well are the Zanettes of Niagara University. With 14 and 12 points Paul the junior and Marc the freshman are scoring and assisting rather evenly. Are these two pairs the exceptions or are they more the rule for brothers on a team?

Re: Brothers on NCAA D1 teams

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
    It is my understanding that there are 11 sets of brothers on NCAA Division 1 Hockey teams. For the most part one of the two is a force on a team. Is it likely that the older one was recruited with the younger one in mind as well? How often is the older one the dominant brother? At BC we have seen recently the Greene brothers with Matt playing an important role on a championship team while older brother Justin played sparingly. Yet now BC has the Whitney brothers both have been high on assists, Joe an accomplished Junior star with 18 points and Steven a talented freshman who shows plenty of potential with 10 points. Another pair of brothers doing very well are the Zanettes of Niagara University. With 14 and 12 points Paul the junior and Marc the freshman are scoring and assisting rather evenly. Are these two pairs the exceptions or are they more the rule for brothers on a team?
    Last year at BU the Gilroy brothers... in that case the older was the much more accomplished player. Also the Saponari brothers, in their case the younger seems to be the more dominant player.

Comment

RPI has identical twin brothers, Eric and Greg Burgdoerfer. Eric is a senior and Greg a red-shirt sophomore who transferred from the Air Force Academy. I don't know which one is actually older, but given the circumstances, I doubt that either was recruited to attract the other.

OTOH, such scenarios have happened. Eric Cavosie was apparently recruited to attract his brother Marc about a decade ago.

It has been guessed that RPI recruited Matt Tinordi, who will be a freshman next year, at least in part to attract his brother Jarred. That didn't work since Jarred will be attending Notre Dame.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Bemidji State had two sets of brothers on the same team a few years back, Todd and Kurt Knott and Bill and Bryce Methven. The Methvens are twins.

Comment

Union has John and Wayne Simpson. John, a junior, has played well and turns in consistently good games. Wayne is a frosh who has also turned in some good work so far this season. At this point I believe they have both appeared in every game and have very similar stats, but if my memory serves me, I think Wayne has 1 or 2 game winners. Not sure how Nate Leaman played his cards on recruiting these 2, but they did play together before Union, having gone to the same prep school. Since U offers no athletic scholarships, I hope they're getting 2-for-1 family discount special on tuition . Believe me, it ain't cheap!

Comment

Originally posted by OsecnUC View Post
            Union has John and Wayne Simpson. John, a junior, has played well and turns in consistently good games. Wayne is a frosh who has also turned in some good work so far this season. At this point I believe they have both appeared in every game and have very similar stats, but if my memory serves me, I think Wayne has 1 or 2 game winners. Not sure how Nate Leaman played his cards on recruiting these 2, but they did play together before Union, having gone to the same prep school. Since U offers no athletic scholarships, I hope they're getting 2-for-1 family discount special on tuition . Believe me, it ain't cheap!
            There are twin brothers on the Cornell team, the Devins. Ben Rosen plays for BU and his brother Dan plays for Brown.

Comment

Kyle [a junior] and Shawn [a freshman] Ostrow currently play for Denver. Kyle is 9-3-12 thus far. Shawn is 2-1-3.

Drew Shore [a freshman] also plays for Denver and his brother, Nick, will join him next season giving the Pioneers two sets of brothers on the roster for the 2010-2011 season. Drew is 3-9-12 thus far.
              Last edited by A Shot and a Goal; 01-27-2010, 07:35 PM.
              sigpic Eight. ....with a design on nine.

Comment

BC actually has two sets of brothers this year. Besides the Whitneys they have Cam and Tom Atkinson. Tommy, a spare forward, has only played in 3 games as BC has not been hurt by injuries to forwards like they have been on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoFan00 View Post
                  There are twin brothers on the Cornell team, the Devins...
                  Actually there are two sets of brothers at Cornell -- the Devins from Scituate, MA and the Nash brothers from Kamloops.
                  ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

There are 3 Biegas playing for Harvard right now (and a 4th on the way )

Alex - Sr
                    Michael - Jr
                    Danny - Fr
                    Marc - ?

I'd love to see Max Everson joing his brother Marshall as well.

Tom Kroshus is headed to Princeton (his brother Eric is a So at Harvard).

It's also too bad that Jeremy Morin didn't join his brother Chad.

Comment

St. Lawrence currently has 2 pairs: Derek and Jared Keller, and Sean and Kyle Flanagan (oldest/younger in both cases). I would guess and say Sean/Kyle were recruited with the younger in mind, no clue in the case of the Keller's.

They also had the older Drewiske who transferred to Wisconsin, but the Yonger brother, Jake, is currently at SLU. Going back, there were the Wallman brothers (Mark, Paul; both ended up leaving the school because of an issue with one brother), three Muir brothers (Sean, Mike in early 2000's, Pat in the mid 2000's), and the Harney brothers in late 90's through 2000 (Justin, Jake. Justin went on to play professionally in Europe, Jake hung them up).

Comment

I know they both graduated, but...

Zanc!

Evil Zanc!

(Zancanaro Brothers)
                        Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
                        ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                          We had Matt and Nate Davis and Nate was by far the more accomplished player. Next season we will have Chris wideman and Alex Wideman so jury is still out there but for alex to be the better player he has really big shoes to fill after his brothers freshman year.

Interesting topic though, in the few times we have had it at Miami the younger brother has been the better player.
                          Miamiredhawks08: "Side note: have any of you had to wear a helmet in SLOW PITCH SOFTBALL CAGE?!?!?!?! Are you flipping kidding me?!?!?! Felt like a 30 year old wearing floaties in a wading pool! jeebus!"

Comment

I think it occurs with some frequency that coaches recruit players to lure their more talented (or they hope so anyway) brothers to their respective team. Football coaches do this all the time. I don't know if it's a bad thing unless the coach in question throws the older kid under the bus....they also occasionally recruit the friends of the players in some cases in the hopes of getting player x. but that's not news.

during their NCAA championship runs in the 90's North Dakota had 10 or 12 hoogsteen brothers and panzer brothers. they seemed fairly equally talented....the ********
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Terrier520 View Post
                              I know they both graduated, but...

Zanc!

Evil Zanc!

(Zancanaro Brothers)
                              Yeeeeeeeeeeeah, except they played for different teams.

But since we're on the subject.....

In addition to the Gilroys and Saponaris, BU had the identical twins Mark and Mike Bavis, and the Lappins, who wore out their welcome and headed to SLU.

Comment

Working...
                              X