• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D2D
    replied
    Re: 2017 Icebreaker: Union/Michigan Tech & Minnesota/tUMD

I know I'm ornery:
    "Minnesota has a seven-game losing streak against UMD. The Gophers’ last victory in the series was Oct. 10, 2014."
    http://www.startribune.com/gophers-m...ner/449678553/
    http://www.startribune.com/many-goph...-tv/449597923/

Tempering external expectations...
    http://www.startribune.com/casey-mit...ent/449677893/

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Given the Gophers' recent record against tDogs, if anyone has reason to be ornery, it's Gopher fans.
    Agreed, and that's why I was surprised the last time I was there. tDogs completed a home/home sweep and their fans still seems ornery.

Leave a comment:

• D2D
    replied

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    Game day!!

Are tDogs fans still ornery? They weren't very nice the last time I was in Duluth. I can only assume the ornery factor is ramped up after losing the championship game last season.
    Given the Gophers' recent record against tDogs, if anyone has reason to be ornery, it's Gopher fans.

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

Game day!!

Are tDogs fans still ornery? They weren't very nice the last time I was in Duluth. I can only assume the ornery factor is ramped up after losing the championship game last season.

Leave a comment:

• Wi.Huskies Fan
    replied

Originally posted by USAFA Bulldog View Post
    Hmmm. My places that I could think of are if you are coming from the south, not from Superior. I'll think more.
    I checked last night in the Duluth-Superior area and everything is booked tight. Not a room to be found. My friend found a place about 30 or so miles away.
    Thanks for your help USA Bulldog.

Leave a comment:

• USAFA Bulldog
    replied

Originally posted by Wi.Huskies Fan View Post
    Yes,I will travel from Houghton county in Michigan and connect on Highway US2,then US53 through Superior.
    My first time out that way. Looking forward to see that area.

Hmmm. My places that I could think of are if you are coming from the south, not from Superior. I'll think more.

Leave a comment:

• gopher wes
    replied

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Check for a smoking entrance, like the Xcel has. Get stamped, etc. Then, just go out for a smoke (winkwink)
    Might have to try that. Otherwise we will probably just show up very late to the Union/Tech game.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
    There are 84 Big Ten hockey games on the schedule this season. BTN's current schedule includes 20 telecasts. I don't think that qualifies as a majority.
    There are games on other networks. And again, criticism is not mutually exclusive. I'm not claiming Big Ten doesn't have issues too.

I think the probability of higher profile games like UMN vs UMD or UMN vs UND not being on TV at Minnesota is 0.0%. How those games, which will draw a relatively high number of viewers, are not being televised is beyond me.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-04-2017, 08:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• John J. MacInnes
    replied

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Criticism isn't mutually exclusive. BTN isn't beyond criticism when it comes to hockey, I recognize that. But they do show a majority of their conference games on a medium that a large number of sports fans in this country have. And I do understand that other sports largely subsidize the Big Ten's ability to do that.
    There are 84 Big Ten hockey games on the schedule this season. BTN's current schedule includes 20 telecasts. I don't think that qualifies as a majority.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
    The NCHC has a contract with CBSSports that likely hamstrings them when it comes to other national coverage. Granted, all the games are in the second half, and I think they only aire like 16 games total, but it’s still a contract.

r
    I guess it's 14 games. And bad contract if that is the case.

Leave a comment:

• cetihcra
    replied

The NCHC has a contract with CBSSports that likely hamstrings them when it comes to other national coverage. Granted, all the games are in the second half, and I think they only aire like 16 games total, but it’s still a contract.

r

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    Honestly...considering they don't make money...i
    We're lucky any are on at all.
    I know you are right to a certain extent, but I do think there is enough viewership there to get something done. Especially for big games. UMN vs Notre Dame outdrew a bunch of NHL games a few seasons back. I have to imagine some of the marquee games would draw enough to make somethiny happen. Or maybe I am completely off base.

Anyways, it was nice to see the NCHC so receptive to feedback. Gotta give them props for that.

Leave a comment:

• The Rube
    replied

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
    Anyone else excited for this?!

Union and Michigan Tech square off at 4pm CT while Minnesota takes on the home team tUMD in the nightcap at 7:30pm CT.

Thoughts? Predictions? Anything?

Can't wait to get to Duluth on Friday!!! Anyone know if we will be able to leave/re-enter between games?
    Check for a smoking entrance, like the Xcel has. Get stamped, etc. Then, just go out for a smoke (winkwink)

Leave a comment:

• First Time, Long Time
    replied
    Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
    Criticism isn't mutually exclusive. BTN isn't beyond criticism when it comes to hockey, I recognize that. But they do show a majority of their conference games on a medium that a large number of sports fans in this country have. And I do understand that other sports largely subsidize the Big Ten's ability to do that.

I am genuinely not trying to be a jerk about this, nor am I trying to rip on the NCHC. Jim was actually pretty fantastic about addressing my questions, clarifying some bad info I got elsewhere, and listening to my criticism/feedback on Twitter concerning this. Props to him and the conference for that.

And to a large extent he said he agrees that UMN vs UMD and UMN vs UND should be on TV, but its beyond the conference's control. FSN wouldn't pick up the Ice Breaker and UND controls rights to the games in Grand Forks. Hopefully a deal is worked out where those games do get picked up and shown nationally somehow.

And FYI - I worded my criticism of the stream poorly. My criticism isn't in regards to quality of the stream or broadcast team, but accessibility. It's still a paid stream and won't reach nearly as many viewers as TV will.

I just think these games, and the NCHC as a whole, deserve better. And that is a compliment to the conference, not a knock on it. I'd like to watch more College hockey, enjoy watching SCSU and UMD as well as the Gophers, but don't want to dish out for another streaming package. Wish they would work out a way to get more games on TV.
    Honestly...considering they don't make money...i
    We're lucky any are on at all.

Leave a comment:

• mnstate0fhockey
    replied
    Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    It's not overpriced nor crappy.
    Also when the B1G barely shows games during football season...you can't really talk.

I am genuinely not trying to be a jerk about this, nor am I trying to rip on the NCHC. Jim was actually pretty fantastic about addressing my questions, clarifying some bad info I got elsewhere, and listening to my criticism/feedback on Twitter concerning this. Props to him and the conference for that.

And to a large extent he said he agrees that UMN vs UMD and UMN vs UND should be on TV, but its beyond the conference's control. FSN wouldn't pick up the Ice Breaker and UND controls rights to the games in Grand Forks. Hopefully a deal is worked out where those games do get picked up and shown nationally somehow.

And FYI - I worded my criticism of the stream poorly. My criticism isn't in regards to quality of the stream or broadcast team, but accessibility. It's still a paid stream and won't reach nearly as many viewers as TV will.

I just think these games, and the NCHC as a whole, deserve better. And that is a compliment to the conference, not a knock on it. I'd like to watch more College hockey, enjoy watching SCSU and UMD as well as the Gophers, but don't want to dish out for another streaming package. Wish they would work out a way to get more games on TV.
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 10-03-2017, 08:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X